Chipper WC-6 Chipper Photos

/ WC-6 Chipper Photos
Here are a couple photos from the bottom of the chipper.
I added a "skirt" below the pillowblock. When the roller feeder is raised up, the clearance for the roller feeder shaft was exposed. I needed to block that off by adding this skirt and these close ups show how that looks.

I know it's not the prettiest thing, but it worked very good!
Loretta chipped for several hours. Small stuff and bigger branches. They are all hardwood Oak. The blade adjustment seemed to make an improvement in the chips. The Kama never even bogged down once. I checked the drive belt after doing all the chipping (see pile) and there were only few chips that made it past the shield lying on the ledge below the gear box drive shaft...very few. None had gotten to the belt or pulley or u-joints.
Rob-

/ WC-6 Chipper Photos #42  
Thanks for all the detail Rob.
I'm going up to the island tommorow to rescue my chipper. its been hiding under a tarp all winter.
I doubt if my cardboard is still in place!

/ WC-6 Chipper Photos #43  
It is said, that necessity is the mother of invention. Once again you proved that to be a true statement. How many would have ever thought to use flat stock to make sheet???? Good job.

/ WC-6 Chipper Photos #44  
We got lots of good use out of our chipper this weekend(sorry no pics!)
I must get some cables for the clutch box. The handle on top of the chute on mine was broken off(poor weld) when I took the tarp off.
We were using it fine and when it choked on a 4" limb because I wasn't running full RPM. I plugged it up good!
After dinner I parked the tractor and chipper in the new garage and went at to un-plug the chipper. What a weird feeling working inside on the tractor. Sheltered from the wind, dry and well lit! I was feeling guilty about all the sawdust getting on the new clean floor!

Is anyone familiar with a supplier for the cables to operate the clutch ?
Is the foot pedal worth the effort to make or just the lever on the side of the chute ?

/ WC-6 Chipper Photos
Thanks guys, I'm glad you like the shield. It works really good so I'm very pleased with that mod.

We got lots of good use out of our chipper this weekend(sorry no pics!)
I must get some cables for the clutch box. The handle on top of the chute on mine was broken off(poor weld) when I took the tarp off.
We were using it fine and when it choked on a 4" limb because I wasn't running full RPM. I plugged it up good!
After dinner I parked the tractor and chipper in the new garage and went at to un-plug the chipper. What a weird feeling working inside on the tractor. Sheltered from the wind, dry and well lit! I was feeling guilty about all the sawdust getting on the new clean floor!

Is anyone familiar with a supplier for the cables to operate the clutch ?
Is the foot pedal worth the effort to make or just the lever on the side of the chute ?

What are you doing chipping that big stuff?
Man, I cut that up for fire wood lol. Even some of the 1" stuff I use for kindling and such. Anyway, at least make the lever on the side. The foot clutch release is an added bonus because sometimes I use it and lift the roller feeder handle at the same time to clear stuff with the roller feeder stopped. In fact, Larry made a foot operated bar he can step on to lift the roller feeder. I might do that too. It leaves both hands free to manipulate the branches better.

/ WC-6 Chipper Photos #46  
4" is small stuff. I normally would put it in the firewood pile but:

This is what I have to mill or cut and split after clearing for my garage. That is from 4 trees. We will be taking down about 15 more this year to get the house going.
I still have a couple of years worth of firewood here at the house.

I'm going to make up a motorcycle clutch cable to a lever on the side. That will get me going again. I like the foot pedal idea. I need to make an easier lever for raising the feed roller(like on yours) to help the 'big' stuff in.