Weatherguard worth the $$$

/ Weatherguard worth the $$$ #1  

GreatWhitehunter

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
I'm looking to buy a black diamond plate truckbox. I've had the box store cheapies in the past. I also had a weatherguard box. Now there's no question the weatherguard was well made but I'm still not sure it's worth the bank. Are they that superior to UWS or Delta etc? I usually just stow misc tools and maybe a chainsaw on occation. Besides the thickness of the material is there something else that makes these worth more than double?

Matt:confused:

/ Weatherguard worth the $$$ #2  
I haven't looked at new boxes for awhile, but compared to the cheaper boxes weathergaurd always came out on top. The locks were always much better, along with the hinges and support pistons. The finish always seemed to be more durable also. Several of my friends opted for the cheaper boxes because they didn't want to pay the high price for the weatherguard then a year of two later were replacing them with a weatherguard.

I will only buy weatherguard because if is worth the extra to me. Having said that though, I also usually carry several thousand $$ worth of tools in my box so saving a couple hundred on a box and then having it leak could easily cost me more then I saved on the box.

/ Weatherguard worth the $$$ #3  
I have never had or wanted a tool box but if I were looking at them I would pay close attention to the hinge, lock, and gasket that seals the lid.

Chris

/ Weatherguard worth the $$$ #4  
I have an "El Cheapo" box on my truck that came with it when I bought it. It used to look nice, but the black powder coat (probably cheap paint) has faded to a dark gray and is very easily chipped. It can be opened with a large screwdriver. The latches need constant adjustment just so that the wind doesn't open the box. The metal bows in the bottom with a load of tools. Its too shallow. I regularly stand on it though, and it hasn't bent (yet).

If I were to buy a new box, it would be deeper, with a low profile top, and made quite a bit more sturdy than this one. A decent finish that can stand up to the elements is nice too.

/ Weatherguard worth the $$$ #5  
I'm looking to buy a black diamond plate truckbox. I've had the box store cheapies in the past. I also had a weatherguard box. Now there's no question the weatherguard was well made but I'm still not sure it's worth the bank. Are they that superior to UWS or Delta etc? I usually just stow misc tools and maybe a chainsaw on occation. Besides the thickness of the material is there something else that makes these worth more than double?

Matt:confused:

I have a UWS box on my flatbed to contain the winch. The lock mechanism is really flimsy and needs constant adjustment to get it to latch and open correctly. I'll probably install a lock hinge and use a padlock. As always, you get what you pay for.

DSCF0061 (Small).JPGDSCF0063 (Small).JPG

/ Weatherguard worth the $$$ #6  
The Weatherguard has a clear-coat finish on it that is super-hard. I have a large box that I modified to fit in a 1/2 ton crew-cab bed and getting the finish off to cutout and piece back in a recess on each side was'nt easy. I expect to have this box for quite some time. It's also heavier gauge aluminum and braced better than UWS, Delta, Adrian, etc. - better locks too. It's the first toolbox I've had you can't feel give in much when standing on top of it to wash the roof.

/ Weatherguard worth the $$$ #7  
They seal good, the locks always work. they have good hinges.

Mine is over 10 years old and in the 3rd truck, still going strong.

Worth the extra to me!!!!

/ Weatherguard worth the $$$
Thanks for the replies guys. I especially appreciate the insite on the UWS units. I've found all of the replies true about the weatherguard I had. Has anyone with a black DP box had the finish wear off?

Matt

/ Weatherguard worth the $$$ #10  
I had the big Weather Guard cross box on my 2001 Chevy, with Delta rail boxes. No comparison! The Delta seals would freeze in the winter, WG never did. Had some 'lock sticking' w/the Deltas, not the WG. Simply a better product! :thumbsup: ~~ grnspot

Attachments

• Pictures (Small) (3).jpg
    Pictures (Small) (3).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,001