Weed Control - What is everybody using?

/ Weed Control - What is everybody using? #11  
I love 2-4D,Grazon works pretty good,i have had great luck with Forefront R&P along with Tordon products.

/ Weed Control - What is everybody using?
Charlesaf3 said:
I find regular mowing at 3 inches eventually kills the weeds off. I don't like to spray poison where I live, and figure it'll come out of my well eventually.

Keeping 100 acres at 3" is not an option. Also, I am haying these pastures, so I want it to grow.

The amount of poison I am putting down is rather low. Also, it is applied directly to the plant - not just hosing a bunch of herbicide on the ground.

D.

HickoryNut said:
Wiper application is really catching on around here too I've noticed - cheaper, faster, more earth-friendly. Works great for the real problem weeds like Johnson or in my case Dallis. I wouldn't worry about the occasional mustard or other low-growing weeds as it will soon get crowded out if you've got the ph and nutrients right, just spot spray some 2-4D on the worst patches. And why worry about marking your rows or mixing elaborate concoctions, easy to just hit what you missed a couple days later, keeping it simple is what the wiper method is all about.

Big pastures it is easy to miss spots or double or triple apply in others. Foamer works fine, if you have daylight.

Mixing the right combo in the tank and doing the right passes saves me time and diesel. Mix the right herbicide that will do the right thing. Also, the window to do it can be tight depending on rain and how fast things are growing. It usually takes 4 days for cornerstone to show results. Grazon P+D - that stuff can work in minutes. Soil compaction, and other things come to mind.

Regardless, these wipers are pretty slick. One of the biggest advantages for me is I don't have to worry about wind drift.

D.

D.

/ Weed Control - What is everybody using? #14  
I bale the johnson and dallis grass. The cows eat it up.

mlauk said:
I bale the johnson and dallis grass. The cows eat it up.

They love that Johnson Grass. I am going to be able to produce way more hay than I can use, so I want it to be of top quality. So, I am going to try to get it to "horse quality" levels to make more money on it.

D.

/ Weed Control - What is everybody using? #16  
Last year, 1st of may we went with 200 lbs to the acre of liquid nitrogen and 1 qt to the acre of Grazon, loved the results .. of course the rain was critical, did it just before the weather man said rain was coming. Had the local folks put it out cost was $35 per acre.

/ Weed Control - What is everybody using? #17  
ddivinia said:
They love that Johnson Grass. I am going to be able to produce way more hay than I can use, so I want it to be of top quality. So, I am going to try to get it to "horse quality" levels to make more money on it.

D.

Are you planning on square bales for the horse quality hay? Seems like that is what the horse people want.

/ Weed Control - What is everybody using? #19  
Can anyone elaborate on the "weed wiper"? I assume it is some type of wick that is saturated with herbicide.
Legdoc

Legdoc said:
Can anyone elaborate on the "weed wiper"? I assume it is some type of wick that is saturated with herbicide.
Legdoc

There are a number of designs. The wiper I am using is actually a steel drum that rotates by a hydraulic motor. The drum is covered with carpet. The spray rig puts the herbicide on the drum.

D.