Weed Control - What is everybody using?

/ Weed Control - What is everybody using?
Forgot the spray gun pic.

D.

Attachments

• DSC_8638.jpg
    DSC_8638.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 137
   / Weed Control - What is everybody using? #42  
Darin, thanks so much for the pictures. This shot is the money shot . . .
101477d1209438177t-weed-control-what-everybody-using-dsc_8635.jpg

. . . for me because I really wanted to see how you had it chain. Although I wish I could see just a bit lower.:D I am started to realise with these pumps and mountings bars it really doesn't matter how you have it chained just as long as it's chained so it does spin on the PTO. I am currently looking at this unit except with 12ft. boom (smaller pic below) as opposed to the 21 footers shown. I like the hose real and gun option as well to get under fence lines as well. The apparently have a turf gun option as well as the longer hand gun.

80gal-skid-hosereel-.jpg

80gal-pto-rm.jpg

lawn-turf-handgun.jpg

mark.r said:

. . . for me because I really wanted to see how you had it chain. Although I wish I could see just a bit lower.:D
----

I just bolted a piece of chain to the angle. Then I run it thru the hitch - no biggie.

That looks like a nice spray rig. I wish my gun was on a reel. I might have to add that...

D.

/ Weed Control - What is everybody using? #44  
That is the nicest wiper rig I've ever seen. None of the other none powered units I've looked at have impressed me all that much. Like you, I looked at them originally to combat Johnson grass. According to the gurus, you can't control it by mowing as it spreads by stolons as well as seeds. Last year I sprayed MSMA with reasonable success. It didn't kill it all off but it thinned it out a lot. This year I sprayed a pre-emergent early and am going to start the MSMA as soon as I can get in there.

I don't know anything about "Cornerstone" and sure didn't know it would control Johnson grass. I need to look into that. Thanks for the info. For normal broadleaf weeds I have always used either 2-4-D or Grazon P+D with good success.

/ Weed Control - What is everybody using? #45  
I just checked out "Cornerstone" and it seems that it is a generic "Round-up" or glyphosphate so it's not something that I want to be spraying all over my pasture. I assume that you are running your weed wiper high so that the only thing that it contacts is the taller growing Johnson grass and weeds. Ah well back to the spray rig and the MSMA.

EastTexFrank said:
That is the nicest wiper rig I've ever seen. None of the other none powered units I've looked at have impressed me all that much. Like you, I looked at them originally to combat Johnson grass. According to the gurus, you can't control it by mowing as it spreads by stolons as well as seeds. Last year I sprayed MSMA with reasonable success. It didn't kill it all off but it thinned it out a lot. This year I sprayed a pre-emergent early and am going to start the MSMA as soon as I can get in there.

I don't know anything about "Cornerstone" and sure didn't know it would control Johnson grass. I need to look into that. Thanks for the info. For normal broadleaf weeds I have always used either 2-4-D or Grazon P+D with good success.

Thanks, I looked for a long time. These guys seem to have it together.

D.

EastTexFrank said:
I just checked out "Cornerstone" and it seems that it is a generic "Round-up" or glyphosphate so it's not something that I want to be spraying all over my pasture. I assume that you are running your weed wiper high so that the only thing that it contacts is the taller growing Johnson grass and weeds. Ah well back to the spray rig and the MSMA.

Yeah - but usually the weeds are higher than the coastal at one time or another. So, I can hit the weeds and not the stuff I want to keep.

Wind drift is one of my biggest issues. The wiper addresses that for me.

D.

/ Weed Control - What is everybody using? #48  
mark.r said:

. . . for me because I really wanted to see how you had it chain. Although I wish I could see just a bit lower.:D I am started to realise with these pumps and mountings bars it really doesn't matter how you have it chained just as long as it's chained so it does spin on the PTO. I am currently looking at this unit except with 12ft. boom (smaller pic below) as opposed to the 21 footers shown. I like the hose real and gun option as well to get under fence lines as well. The apparently have a turf gun option as well as the longer hand gun.

80gal-skid-hosereel-.jpg

80gal-pto-rm.jpg

lawn-turf-handgun.jpg

Mark, if you are interested you can add a couple of angled nozzles to your spray rig that will allow you to spray under fence rows without having to use the gun.

I am not a big fan of these guns but that is because I had to use one all last year after my air blast went down (the gun worked on the orchard).

I wish I would have took a pic of my weed spraying rig as you would have liked it. I have a spray rig that I mount to the front of my 1920 that is made by the Green Hoe Company a couple towns over. It is plumbed to my 3pt sprayer so I do not need a seperate pump and tank. This front spray rig is designed for spraying under grape rows so it has 4 nozzles (two on each end), one points down and one points outwards some. There is an electric motor that allows me to extend and retract the boom depending on my row widths. All the controls are mounted in the cab so you are aways looking forward (except when you check the tank level).

As for your sprayer you want to buy, if you are going to use it for open pasture/hay fields and you have more then a few acres then buy at least the 21' boom. I have the 12' boom on my Fimco and it worked great for food plots and such (which is why I bought it originally), but for open field work it is terrible as you have to drive over almost every square inch of the field. I am going to buy either the 30' or 40' Demco boom and set up a new field sprayer (leaning towards the 40' boom).

I will have my weed spray rig hooked back on in about a month. I will make sure I take some pics of it then.

/ Weed Control - What is everybody using? #49  
spray and sprig 012.JPG

spray and sprig 009.JPG

Here is the rig I am currently using. 535 gallon tank and boom buster nozzles. It will spray 34' per pass. I am using 2,4-D at 1.5 pints to the acre to control broadleaf weeds in pasture. The wind and rain this year has me way behind.

/ Weed Control - What is everybody using? #50  
spray and sprig 008.JPG

Forgot the pic of the sprayer itself.