welder circuit

/ welder circuit #61  
Arrow I'd bet up high as a greenback dollar you put honest voltmeter on dat circuit and run de welder you see more voltage drop from meter to welder then you see from transformer to meter.
Longer you weld more voltage gonna drop coming into welding machine too.

Settings is just a starting suggestion from manufacturer, and dey set machine up in perfect conditions to develope dem numbers.

Maybe dat right but it only be dat way if man hook it up not have NEC recipie book in pocket. Dat me-sheen sip bout 3500 watt mos daz and bout 4700 watt all out balz to da wall. 250 volt in on 10 ga wire good for 7000 watt all da and two time on Sunday wit out gittin hot.

/ welder circuit #62  
In another life I was a certified welder and is a good skill to have restoring antique cars...

Welding up trailers sometimes taxed my 50 amp circuit but it is what I had at home to work with...

/ welder circuit
In another life I was a certified welder and is a good skill to have restoring antique cars...

Welding up trailers sometimes taxed my 50 amp circuit but it is what I had at home to work with...

I can understand that especially with how welders were constructed. Haven't done anything "heavy" with this welder but it does 1/4" no problem with one pass. Stitched a 2 foot run ( inch to inch and a half stitches and about 5 or 6 of them) and then ran a bead all the way w/o stopping. Welder seemed to take it in stride and never shut down. That would have taken me half a day with the Forney 140 on the 125 volt circuit.

It was on a 4/40 setting for those familiar with the Hobart Handlers and never reached it's alleged duty cycle but then again, I don't know how many amps I was actually using..

/ welder circuit #64  
Arrow,
A little more information might help you. If you can get an AC amp meter and Volt meter and tap at input to your machine plug. Then have someone monitor it as you weld. The short circuit start current versus the continuous run current is important to your max capability with your circuit. Here is a Time-Current curve for a GE breaker. As an example, They are designed to carry approx. 3 times max rating for 5 to 30 seconds, etc. This is design criteria and your breaker may differ some. But you get the idea. I have a Miller 80 amp Plasma (3080) with a 63 amp max input rating that I ran on a 30 amp breaker to the garage. Cutting 1" material I would go until it tripped (like 10 minutes) , wait a while and reset and continue. Feed cable was underground so I wasn't worried about overheating. How high of current, I didn't monitor, but higher than 30 amps. I even ran extension cords to power the lights and compressor from the house so max power to plasma. Have since upgraded cable and feed.

Attachments

• GES-6202A.pdf
    47.9 KB · Views: 92
   / welder circuit #66  
Are attempts being made to drag this discussion of course into la la land or am I the one not paying attention? :confused3:
In post #1 Op asked "What is the limit to wire feed welder amperage output on a 30 amp breaker 220 circuit?"
The answer to that is,it depend's on make and model of welder but aproximatly 220 amps.

In post #58 Op said "So I transitioned to 240 for the welder circuit within the garage. This being for a Hobart Handler 190. This is with 10 /2 wire on a 30 amp circuit.
It's doing really well."
That Hobart Handler 190 pull's 20.5 amps x230volts at max out put. Op state's he has 250 volts coming into his service. At 250 volt supply,amps would drop to 19amps.

What else is there to figure out?

/ welder circuit #67  
At rated output. They set the chart for average rather than ideal. The numbers are about right for vert up and maybe oh. Most are too cold for hot and flat and even down.

/ welder circuit #68  
No one thinks the minimu.s are great for these little machines that are being wrung out. A size up and all the v drop issues go away. The minimum is 65 ft of 14 for a 190, a 10 is 2 sizes better.

/ welder circuit
Are attempts being made to drag this discussion of course into la la land or am I the one not paying attention? :confused3:
In post #1 Op asked "What is the limit to wire feed welder amperage output on a 30 amp breaker 220 circuit?"
The answer to that is,it depend's on make and model of welder but aproximatly 220 amps.

In post #58 Op said "So I transitioned to 240 for the welder circuit within the garage. This being for a Hobart Handler 190. This is with 10 /2 wire on a 30 amp circuit.
It's doing really well."
That Hobart Handler 190 pull's 20.5 amps x230volts at max out put. Op state's he has 250 volts coming into his service. At 250 volt supply,amps would drop to 19amps.

What else is there to figure out?

Thanks gentlemen for all of your details. I am simply not that kind of guy. Welder didn't shut down...I'm good.

jaxs... I am more the kind of guy your last sentence addresses.

/ welder circuit #70  
Arrow you manage to drive one of these little machines to trip out for a break on duty cycle workin alone please do post about de experience. I have yet to accomplish that event.