Welder / Wiring for Small Garage

/ Welder / Wiring for Small Garage #31  
pulled a page from the owners manual 24 amps on 240 volt so that is 80% of a 30amp circuit breaker so you will need a 30 amp CB and #10 wire unless it is a really long run.

Attachments

• Pages from O260274F_HOB.pdf
    65.8 KB · Views: 70
   / Welder / Wiring for Small Garage #32  
All, question on wiring and breaker for my personal use small garage.

I have a 50 amp circuit from my house to the garage on 6/3 wire (black, red, white and ground).

I planned to wire a 30 amp circuit for welding with 8/3 wire, but is that enough for say a Hobart Handler 210MVP or a Mult-Handler 200 Multiprocess? I wouldn’t ever need to weld anything thicker than 3/8”.

Handler® 210 MVP™ MIG Welder | HobartWelders

Multi-Handler 200 Multiprocess Welder | HobartWelders

Will a 30 amp circuit with 8/3 work?

Based on the specs (of the leads) (115 V, 15 A)
What you really need to know is the distance from the mains supply point, all the way so the welder, and keep voltage drop to under 3V at full welder load on the mains (15A).
From there you can calc the required MIN cable size (assuming nothing else is using that cct at the same time).
Not sure how to calc that, ask one of your sparkie mates to calc it for you (assumig you want it certified for insurance reasons).

/ Welder / Wiring for Small Garage #33  
It does, but it also shows a 50 amp plug for 220 volts.
The answer to your requirements is in the printed information under the voltage/amps chart. It states that the power cord is 240v 50 amps.
Good luck plugging that 50 amp cord into a 30 amp receptacle. If you replace it with a 30 amp plug—bye bye bye to your warranty.
The chart also shows in the last column 34 max amps.
I would do 1 central 50 amp plug centered on the non 30’ wall and build up 1 50 amp cord to be able to reach several feet out of the bay doors (50 feet?).

/ Welder / Wiring for Small Garage #34  
The answer to your requirements is in the printed information under the voltage/amps chart. It states that the power cord is 240v 50 amps.
Good luck plugging that 50 amp cord into a 30 amp receptacle. If you replace it with a 30 amp plug—bye bye bye to your warranty.
The chart also shows in the last column 34 max amps.
I would do 1 central 50 amp plug centered on the non 30’ wall and build up 1 50 amp cord to be able to reach several feet out of the bay doors (50 feet?).
His welder draws a max of 24 amps. A 30 amp breaker with #10 romex to a 50A outlet will be fine.

/ Welder / Wiring for Small Garage #35  

I have a 50 amp circuit from my house to the garage on 6/3 wire (black, red, white and ground).

I planned to wire a 30 amp circuit for welding with 8/3 wire, but is that enough for say a Hobart Handler 210MVP or a Mult-Handler 200 Multiprocess? I wouldn’t ever need to weld anything thicker than 3/8”.

I would suggest getting the House rewired for 100 Amp Service and run a line to the Garage as well with new panel.

/ Welder / Wiring for Small Garage #36  
I would suggest getting the House rewired for 100 Amp Service and run a line to the Garage as well with new panel.
This is getting hilarious. I suggest a new house. with 3 phase.

/ Welder / Wiring for Small Garage #37  

You shouldn't use 8/3 for a 30 amp breaker, the coded size for 30 amp is # 10 wire, any size larger than that with a 30 amp breaker could cause a problem. It would take longer for a breaker to trip

/ Welder / Wiring for Small Garage #38  

Why not run a circuit using the 6/3 from the box in the garage to the outlet for whichever welder you get? I did 8/3 (about fifty feet to my garage) and run an old Tombstone w/o issue. But, I learned later that I should have run 6/3 cover my bases. Running 6/3 to the shop, then running an 'extension' in 8/3 to the weld doesn't sound like a great idea. However, I am not a certified electrician by any stretch.
You did not mention the distance from house to shop or the AMPS of the Main House Panel (my old homestead's only got a fifty-amp panel!) but it seems to work just fine!

/ Welder / Wiring for Small Garage #39  
Why not run a circuit using the 6/3 from the box in the garage to the outlet for whichever welder you get? I did 8/3 (about fifty feet to my garage) and run an old Tombstone w/o issue. But, I learned later that I should have run 6/3 cover my bases. Running 6/3 to the shop, then running an 'extension' in 8/3 to the weld doesn't sound like a great idea. However, I am not a certified electrician by any stretch.
You did not mention the distance from house to shop or the AMPS of the Main House Panel (my old homestead's only got a fifty-amp panel!) but it seems to work just fine!
Because none of that is needed. Why would you double the amp carrying capacity thats needed? Most newer IGBT welders have low max inrush amperage. You would need one serious welder to need #6 romex. #6 will carry 55A. #8 will carry 40 amps. 8/3 extension cord the voltage drop @230V at 50 feet will be .030% and the voltage will be 229.93V

/ Welder / Wiring for Small Garage #40  
Will a 30 amp circuit with 8/3 work? yes, but if inspected it may get a correction notice.

MVP 210 gives a minimum conductor size as #14 copper (see note 4 on sheet). Edit: text moved from here to below.

HOB Multi-Handler gives a minimum conductor size of #12 copper (See note 5 on sheet) Or MC cable concealed in a wall if exposed to damage.
Edit in bold to indicate text moved to correct location: but must be rated for 75 degree C. Which would limit you to individual conductors in conduit. Or MC cable concealed in a wall if it is exposed to physical damage.

This will get you by an inspector if this is being inspected.

Personally, I would use the 240 volt option with #12 thhn in conduit with a 30 amp breaker for the Multi handler. Your mileage may vary?
Same for the MVP 210, but use a 25 amp breaker. Again, your mileage may vary?
Up the breaker size to the next size if they trip.

View attachment 807229View attachment 807240
#12 is 20 amp rated not 30.