Welding a hydraulic anchor point

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #11  
Cylinder mounts are subjected to large loads. They can be repaired/welded, but it is not as simple as adding a piece of 1/8" plate to reinforce. Need to know the base material, pick correct filler material, prepare the joint, align parts, weld with correct process (MIG/TIG/ STICK), and post weld process (stress relieve, machine, etc). A broken culinder mpunt is a big deal.
Full pen

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #12  
Hi I'm new here. Just acquired a kubota B6000. It has a loader and a backhoe.
When I bought it I noticed one of the hydraulic cylinder anchor points had been obviously welded. Well figuring it was done well I wanted to try out the hoe. Well wouldn't ya know it I hadn't barely touched the ground to rotate and dig with the bucket and clink, the weld on this one point just came away. Obviously not a very well weld I must say.
I'm wondering if a 110 mig welder will be good enough weld 1/8" plate reinforcement and be good enough to weld the "ears" pivot points to the 1/8" plate.
Can you post a picture? Some small wire feed welders are capable of welding 1/8 steel but there are other considerations. The biggest reason welds fail from the 110 volt machines is from poor penetration of the weld bead. This is from not enough heat. Not enough heat can be caused by many things. Not recognizing poor penetration is often the result of inexperience. You may be able to get a good weld with your machine but it depends on what the part to be welded is and what the conditions are. It could be that pre heating the area will be needed with your low amperage machine. But some crummy machines aren't up to the task. And just how good of a weldor are you? Are you confident you have the skill to do this if given some direction?
Eric

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #13  
I think he got scared off. No pics... And too many people seem confident it cannot be done....without even seeing it .. lol. Go figure

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #14  
Quite often when we ask a question, we know the answer. We are just hoping for a simpler solution.

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #15  
maybe post up your location ?
I bet if there is a local forum member, they would be happy to assist

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #16  
I think he got scared off. No pics... And too many people seem confident it cannot be done....without even seeing it .. lol. Go figure

I don’t think anyone said flat out it can’t be done. But I think it’s pretty well agreed it wasn’t a likely combination for success.

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #17  
I don’t think anyone said flat out it can’t be done. But I think it’s pretty well agreed it wasn’t a likely combination for success.
See post #8

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #18  
The welder is not likely capable of producing enough heat to adequately penetrate the metal on the tractor. Take it to a good shop that routinely does this type of work, or find a competent mobile welder who can come do the repair. Let them do the prep grinding as well. You could hit it with a sanding wheel and paint it to match the tractor if you want to do your part.

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #19  
take it to someone or rent a larger welder(even a gas powered if you don
t have access to a 220 hookup.the only way to get true penetration is with more power.

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #20  
Poor guy is really confused now. He probably hasn't figured out how to post pictures yet and feels intimidated.

I always avoid commenting with solutions when the whole story is not presented. With pictures we have a basis of analysis and at least then ask further questions to clarify the issue.

No pictures needs to relate to no help.

Ron