Welding Helmet Light

/ Welding Helmet Light #11  
Several THings to help old eyes....First is new plastic protectors over lenses...Makes world of difference.... Also use white paint stick to highlight seam for weld.... Insert magnifier lenses (cheater) into helmet any way possible...

This is what I am now playing with for helmet headlight... Is just small LED flashlight with focusable beam ability, not nearly enough light, but helps... It held in place with velcro as I not ready to drill a lot of holes in helmet for experiment the are not proven yet...

Really think headlight style need to be a really bright headlight (500 lumens+) with corded battery pack one can clip to belt so weight is not on helmet...

Dale

Attachments

• SDC11551.JPG
    SDC11551.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 138
   / Welding Helmet Light #12  
It couldn't get much worse. A tan this time of year looks good. I don't believe the "rays" go through eye lids. I sure would not want to burn my eye lids though, so I am aware of how much welding I have to do. I have had UV welding sunburn on my arms and it's no fun.

I would suggest googling can I weld without a helmet. Good Luck though.

/ Welding Helmet Light #13  
It couldn't get much worse. A tan this time of year looks good. I don't believe the "rays" go through eye lids. I sure would not want to burn my eye lids though, so I am aware of how much welding I have to do. I have had UV welding sunburn on my arms and it's no fun.

I’ve done it before. I don’t believe you’d hurt your eyes doing it but I “sunburned” my eyelids doing it so I wear a hood for any welding now.

/ Welding Helmet Light #14  
I might try the light. It just seems counterintuitive. You have one heck of a bright light going on already, and I can't see that an LED light would have much effect through a darkened lense. I mean, I can't see the seam to weld in bright sunlight. It would be nice if that was the solution though.

/ Welding Helmet Light #15  
I might try the light. It just seems counterintuitive. You have one heck of a bright light going on already, and I can't see that an LED light would have much effect through a darkened lense. I mean, I can't see the seam to weld in bright sunlight. It would be nice if that was the solution though.

The light is just to get into position so you can start the weld, you are right, once you strike the arc the light is no longer necessary.

The UV, from the welding, will destroy the lens of the light in a very short time. I am trying to figure out how to add a replaceable protective lens to protect the light.

/ Welding Helmet Light #16  
The light is just to get into position so you can start the weld, you are right, once you strike the arc the light is no longer necessary.

The UV, from the welding, will destroy the lens of the light in a very short time. I am trying to figure out how to add a replaceable protective lens to protect the light.

Begging you pardon.... A large amount of ambient helps you see the seam, its the ultraviolet radiation from the arc that damages the eyes and skin, that is why we cover up and shield eyes from the "radiation" created by arc....

Dale

/ Welding Helmet Light #17  
Who has an issue seeing before the lense goes dark? That's certainly not my problem.

/ Welding Helmet Light #18  
MIG. I agree. I have no trouble welding by feel. Where the bead goes is anybody's guess though. But that's no worse than trying to see when on flat material.

I guess the of weldor was talking about mig too. With as much care as I have to take to watch the puddle I doubt I'd ever get a good stick weld by feel. I've never used mig.

/ Welding Helmet Light #19  
Who has an issue seeing before the lens goes dark? That's certainly not my problem.

Me. :eek: (45 year welding apprentice/rookie) My 'light' issue is looking for red, orange, and yellow to distinguish arc from flux and weld pools. When I see purple and green too, it all seems to turn paisley, I start hearing Pink Floyd, and I decide I'm better at hand fitting/filing than welding.

I so use one half of this guy .. set 12-18" from the start of a weld .. for SMAW .. indoors or outdoors. (the latter under f-glass blanket sunshade)

worklight.jpg

(btw, 2" is a LONG pass for me. :rolleyes:)

/ Welding Helmet Light #20  
I have used these for welding. Magnetic is strong so works great for steel welding.

HF has coupons for them at $18.99 a few times a year. I like them because they are rechargeable with a micro USB cable. It bends so you can aim as well. Also works great when wiring electrical panels.

63958_W3.jpg

39 Lumen Magnetic Slim Bar Folding LED Work Light