Welding help needed

/ Welding help needed #1  

AaronS

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS XR4046HC, New Holland Boomer 1020
Ok, I have an Everlast Power iMig 200 on order (thanks Mark!), and a pile of welding jobs to complete around the farm. Such as:

Re-weld trailer fenders where factory tack welds broke loose.
Patch rusted out holes in our trash dumpster.
Weld chain grab hooks to the bucket on my tractor.
Weld a 2 inch receiver to the same bucket.

I've welded before (class in high school), but that was nearly 30 years ago and I'm afraid that it won't be like riding a bicycle. I'm sure the MIG will be fine for the first 2 items on my above list, but I'm guessing for welding the grab hooks and receiver I'd be better off welding with rod to get better penetration. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm right, I plan to buy some 1/8" 7018ac rod and give it a try.

Thoughts, recommendations and advice is greatly appreciated!

/ Welding help needed #2  
Ok, I have an Everlast Power iMig 200 on order (thanks Mark!), and a pile of welding jobs to complete around the farm. Such as:

Re-weld trailer fenders where factory tack welds broke loose.
Patch rusted out holes in our trash dumpster.
Weld chain grab hooks to the bucket on my tractor.
Weld a 2 inch receiver to the same bucket.

I've welded before (class in high school), but that was nearly 30 years ago and I'm afraid that it won't be like riding a bicycle. I'm sure the MIG will be fine for the first 2 items on my above list, but I'm guessing for welding the grab hooks and receiver I'd be better off welding with rod to get better penetration. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm right, I plan to buy some 1/8" 7018ac rod and give it a try.

Thoughts, recommendations and advice is greatly appreciated!

Don't forget this unit is also a DC stick welder...with a fine DC arc. Use regular 7018's.

/ Welding help needed
I did remember and planned to use it for the stick welding, but wasn't aware that regular 7018's would be the rod to use. Thanks.

/ Welding help needed #4  
IMO, I prefer stick welding for grab hooks and the receiver. I'm sure it can be done with the mig but I have much more experience (over 40 years) stick welding the thicker metals and only a couple years using my mig which I mainly use for thinner metals.

/ Welding help needed
Thanks George and thanks for the links Shield Arc!