Welding Hooks to a front end loader

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #41  
Hooks on buckets are for holding things.... Not for pulling... If you aren't "pulling things" nothing is going to fly back at you if chain or hook fails... Ring or hooks on tractor chassis or draw bars are for pulling....
I agree. Anytime something is pulled by a tractor it should be from a clevis attached to the drawbar. Bucket hooks should solely be used for lifting things or securing loads in the bucket.

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #42  
Hooks on buckets are for holding things.... Not for pulling... If you aren't "pulling things" nothing is going to fly back at you if chain or hook fails... Ring or hooks on tractor chassis or draw bars are for pulling....
This, right there.

Pulling with the loader is also trying to pull the loader off of the tractor, not what it's designed for at all.

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #43  
I added two of the Boltonhooks to top of my Deere 325 bucket. Very nicely made. Tried lifting something too heavy and now the top edge of the bucket is a little wavy. I highly recommend reinforcing the bucket before adding hooks.

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #44  
I agree about not pulling with the bucket hooks. I never use mine for recovery or pulling anything hard (like pulling up a tree stump). That's what the draw bar is for. If for some reason I must pull from the front end of the tractor (which I haven't had to do) then I would use a chain off of the front frame crossmember on the tractor frame itself. I haven't needed to do such yet anyway.

I have 4 hooks welded across my bucket top, and they are handy as a pocket on a shirt. Here is some of the "light duty" stuff I use it for...

20190704_140725.jpg

The inboard pair are right in line with the FEL arms, and the outer pair on the bucket corners.

I also haul around my burn barrel by setting it in the bucket floor and wrapping a single chain around the barrel so it can't tip forward out of the bucket.

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #45  
I saw a machinist advocating placing the eyes inside the bucket, so that if a chain breaks, the bucket offers some protection from flying chain pieces.

Any thoughts on the idea?

All the best,

Peter
This hasn't been mentioned in the thread that I have seen. Mounting them inside the bucket will save you if your cable/rope/chain snaps and comes sailing over the top of the bucket at your head. Paul and Kathy Short of Speciality Repairs on YouTube have an excellent video on this. Good luck. See "specialtyrepairscustommods.com"

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #46  
This hasn't been mentioned in the thread that I have seen. Mounting them inside the bucket will save you if your cable/rope/chain snaps and comes sailing over the top of the bucket at your head. Paul and Kathy Short of Speciality Repairs on YouTube have an excellent video on this. Good luck. See "specialtyrepairscustommods.com"
IF you are pulling some thing with bucket hooks or rings and cable, chains or rope breaks and it comes flying back at you you are doing something wrong..... Bucket hooks are for securing a load in bucket.... NOT PULLING , any pulling that will put enough strain on cable or chain that will injure or decapitate you if it breaks should be done low down from ring on front of tractor chassis or rigid draw bar on rear of tractor..... Seriously doubt if ring is inside bucket it will protect you if you are doing the pulling wrong... Pulling from FEL bucket rings or hooks is most like to damage booms and bucket geometry long before chain or what ever breaks....

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #47  
I don't weld - my bucket hooks are bolted on. YES - do not pull with your FEL/bucket combination. My hooks are used for lifting or securing a load. There is one on each side - back bottom of the bucket.
IMG_0005.jpeg

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #48  
I am curious; @oosik and others who move things in their buckets with chains. What sort of things are you moving?

It has never come up for me, probably because I don't realize I should be doing it. Then again, I do use forks to move a lot of items, and those items often get strapped down.

All the best,

Peter

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #49  
I use chains for anything to big and awkward to stay in bucket.... Some times it pine tree rounds (24+ inches in diameter), brush, garbage can, latest was large rock.... Also chains hooks are good for something like this....

sdc10008-jpg.682077

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #50  
ponytug ........ Before I got my grapple. Ten foot chunks of pine tree trunk. Brush. Rail road ties.

This chunk - 8' x 34".
IMG_0006.jpeg
IMG_0002.jpeg

Which was cut off this 16' section.
IMG_0003.jpeg

And this is the stump. One of my ancient Ponderosa pines. 38" on the butt x 110 feet tall.

Last edited: