Welding Hooks to a front end loader

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #31  
I saw a machinist advocating placing the eyes inside the bucket, so that if a chain breaks, the bucket offers some protection from flying chain pieces.

Any thoughts on the idea?

All the best,

Peter

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #32  
I use Bolt On Hooks. I think there is a plate on the back of them. They are very strong and very nice. I thought about welding when I bought the tractor, but did not want to redo the paint on the bucket. These work great and look great.

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #33  
I saw a machinist advocating placing the eyes inside the bucket, so that if a chain breaks, the bucket offers some protection from flying chain pieces.

Any thoughts on the idea?

All the best,

Peter
The machinist is not the only one.

I used to watch a utube fabrication expert who went on-and-on about the inherent risk of hooks on the top of a bucket, for the same reason you state: objects flying back at you. He documented how a hook placed inside the bucket was a choice location. He installed in the center of the back, a very strong location. Weld-on or bolt-on with a plate behind are purchase options. The earlier photo of the yellow Payloader bucket is a good example of inside-the-bucket protection.

As for lifting power, on one of my buckets, I welded a hook on the rear of the bucket next to, but outside of, the connecting pins so a chain could be hung down from the hook. Its more lifting force.

Oh, and I always paint mine, using the matching OEM color. It looks so much better and is durable. There once was a time I did not paint, but realized that I do like a more professional, finished look.

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #34  
never needed hooks on my bucket, I use my forks for that kind of work. Tweak your bucket bad enough it can mess up your FEL.
I use my grapple for that sort of thing. Lots of places to hang chains and it is pretty beefy. Funny, bought my tractor a year ago, adding the grapple, and have never put the bucket on. With my previous tractor I thought the bucket indispensable. :)

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #35  
Have welding machine, have hooks... Send it!

CT

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #36  
I have 3 weld on grab hooks on my bucket.
One in front of each loader arm and one in the middle of the bucket.
The center hook is by far my most used.
I don’t have a center hook. I hook to each side and drape the chain down the center of the bucket when I want to lift. This distributes the weight in line to both lift arms, not in the bucket center (weakest part).

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #37  
Center only on my BX. That's where the cylinder reinforcement is located.

buckethookD.JPG buckethookB.jpg buckethookA.jpg buckethookC.jpg BXcraneMower-s.jpg

Bruce

Last edited:
   / Welding Hooks to a front end loader #40  
The machinist is not the only one.

I used to watch a utube fabrication expert who went on-and-on about the inherent risk of hooks on the top of a bucket, for the same reason you state: objects flying back at you. He documented how a hook placed inside the bucket was a choice location. He installed in the center of the back, a very strong location. Weld-on or bolt-on with a plate behind are purchase options. The earlier photo of the yellow Payloader bucket is a good example of inside-the-bucket protection.

As for lifting power, on one of my buckets, I welded a hook on the rear of the bucket next to, but outside of, the connecting pins so a chain could be hung down from the hook. Its more lifting force.

Oh, and I always paint mine, using the matching OEM color. It looks so much better and is durable. There once was a time I did not paint, but realized that I do like a more professional, finished look.
Hooks on buckets are for holding things.... Not for pulling... If you aren't "pulling things" nothing is going to fly back at you if chain or hook fails... Ring or hooks on tractor chassis or draw bars are for pulling....