Welding with 4000watt generator

/ Welding with 4000watt generator #21  
What you really need to understand is outlet rating on generator.... MY 6500 watt generator has two 120v 20 amp outlets (NEMA 5-20R) and one 30 amp 120v (three prong twist lock NEMA L15-30R) outlet and one 120/240V 30 amp outlet (4 prong twist lock NEMA 14-30R) but in many cases the Neutral is not used for 240 V operation just L1&L2 and Ground....

What you really need to understand is what output generator is capable of and how to wire it correctly just flopping around and trying to buy adapters and such by guess work is not really going to help you much.....

I personally run my Hobart Handler 140 MIG on the 120V 30 amp (NEMA 15-30R) outlet with DIY adapter cable to a NEMA L15-30R receptacle...

Last edited:
   / Welding with 4000watt generator #22  

/ Welding with 4000watt generator #23  
Did not know 240 Vac was two phase..... Most power in US is single phase or three phase....
It’s two 120 “hot” currents out of phase 180, usually when they get to your box the hots get separated to your 120 stuff so it’s single phase. It would be very odd for you to have a 220 or 240 appliance that was single phase.

/ Welding with 4000watt generator #24  
I've:
Dryer for laundry
Welder
Electric heaters (in wall)
A JennAir stove/oven
A heat pump
All running off 240V circuits single phase (double pole) circuit breakers in my house and shop.
So they must be very odd.
From the wicki on two phase power:
Active two-phase distribution systems remain in Center City Philadelphia, where many commercial buildings are permanently wired for two-phase,[2] and in Hartford, Connecticut.

/ Welding with 4000watt generator
If you have 240V 30A outlet on generator (NEMA L14-30) yes this is probably adapter you need if your welder is 240V (NEMA 6-50P)....
The round plug on generator says 120/240 volts, Will it be stronger considering its only a 4000watt generator? If i can't weld 3/32 rods its not worth it to me to buy adapter

/ Welding with 4000watt generator #26  
Let's keep it simple 4000W "~ means roughly "
4000W = ~33 amp at 120 VAC
4000W = ~18 amp at 220 VAC

Watts = Amperage x Voltage

/ Welding with 4000watt generator #28  
Face it you generator is under nourished to get full welding power out of your welder.... Common theory on welding sites is the generator should have a power rating (wattage) about 50% more than what welder requires.... The convention wisdom is the the larger the generator better is will supply power to welder,... When you strike an arc there is a momentary surge required for power to welder and if generator is too small it can not maintain output and it may bog down and damage the internals of welder and generator or even stall out generator... The cause is the rotor of the generator has small rotating mass and if surge requirement is to high it will cause the rotor to "stall" the generator, the larger the generator (wattage) the bigger the motor and the larger the rotating mass of the rotor the less likely for it to stall and the larger the rotating mass of rotor will sustain the inertia of the generator and less like to bog generator when initially striking arc.... Yes its simple physics along with electrical requirements....

Another thing we really need to know is what are the electrical specification of your welder, is it a 120 or 240 volt model and what is the amperage capability of unit.... Brand name and model number would help....

Last edited:
   / Welding with 4000watt generator
Face it you generator is under nourished to get full welding power out of your welder.... Common theory on welding sites is the generator should have a power rating (wattage) about 50% more the the what welder requires.... The convention wisdom is the the larger the generator better is will supply power to welder,... When you strike an arc there is a momentary surge required for power to welder and if generator can not maintain output it may bog down and damage the internals of welder and generator or eve stall out generator... The cause is the rotor of the generator has small rotating mass and if surge requirement is to high it will cause the rotor to "stall" the generator, the larger the generator (wattage) the bigger the motor and the larger the rotating mass of the rotor the less likely for it to stall and the larger the rotating mass of rotor will sustain the inertia of the generator and less like to bog generator when initially striking arc.... Yes its simple physics along with electrical requirements....
damage the internals of welder and generator scares me aswell seeing the welder is an inverter, I had a 200 foot 8 grade wire my friend kept bugging me to sell it, sold for 20$ now I have to pay like 3-400 for a new wire

/ Welding with 4000watt generator #30  
damage the internals of welder and generator scares me aswell seeing the welder is an inverter, I had a 200 foot 8 grade wire my friend kept bugging me to sell it, sold for 20$ now I have to pay like 3-400 for a new wire
Nice friend