Well it lasted 2 1/2 years: Bushhog 286 Output Shaft Repair

/ Well it lasted 2 1/2 years: Bushhog 286 Output Shaft Repair #1  

FTG-05

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 GST w/FEL, Kubota RTV-XG850, Kubota ZD326S
Some of you might recall a thread I started back in Spring 2019 about my worn out output shaft on my Bushhog 286 rotary cutter.

There were a number of options I looked at from cheap to very expensive (replace the cutter) and I chose to repair the shaft by simply welding it to the stump jumper. See pics below:

April 19, 2019:

EM2cvPc.jpg

Here's today's pics; this is the opposite side of the stump jumper closest to the cutter:

hcmwIpT.jpg

ZhCJZLT.jpg

So now I'm back where I started 2 1/2 years ago. I already have the splined section for the stump jumper, just need to grind off the welds on the old one and reweld the new one on. Now, to find an output shaft and somebody to rebuild the gear box.....

Thanks for looking!

ETA: If someone could find that 4/19 thread and link it here, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,

/ Well it lasted 2 1/2 years: Bushhog 286 Output Shaft Repair
Well I'm up to about to about $400 in replacement parts from Messicks and I'm not sure I'm done - and that doesn't include shipping nor labor to rebuild the box.

I found this Omni 60 hp gearbox on Amazon for $350. Amazon.com: Omni Gear Rotary Cutter 60 hp Gear Box : Patio, Lawn & Garden

If you go to the top of the last page of questions, one person asks if this gearbox will fit the BH 286 rotary cutter; one person responded that he "installed it on a 6' BH"; which doesn't quite answer the question. I've asked both the responder and Omni if this gear box will replace BH gearbox part number 70991. We'll see.

Can't help with sourcing an output shaft. Does bushhog still offer parts.

Might be an aftermarket gearbox retrofit

But I can provide this Oh joy: time to replace the bushing on my 286 Bushhog!
That thread was about taking the blades off mostly. Note in post #21 I comment about how loose (and wobbly) the stump jumper was to the output shaft and that I had to wait until I got the right socket.

After I got the right socket and took off the castle nut, the damage to the output shaft and stump jumper were apparent. I must have then started another thread; not sure why I did that. Oh well.

Here's pics of the original damage:

GX8dzUP.jpg

hNbQFH4.jpg

vaLPqac.jpg

There was no way to fix that but replace both parts, requiring a rebuild of the box. Or simply welding it like we did.

/ Well it lasted 2 1/2 years: Bushhog 286 Output Shaft Repair #5  
Maybe this one

What ho was the gearbox on the 286?

Maybe Omni can at least give you bolt pattern and shaft specs

Maybe this one

What ho was the gearbox on the 286?

Maybe Omni can at least give you bolt pattern and shaft specs
For the life of me, I can't figure what you're asking here?

/ Well it lasted 2 1/2 years: Bushhog 286 Output Shaft Repair #7  
HP. Damn autocorrect.

What horsepower was the original gearbox?

Duh! shoulda been able to figure that out. 110 hp gearbox according to BH.

/ Well it lasted 2 1/2 years: Bushhog 286 Output Shaft Repair #9  
I'd be hesitant to drop a cheap 60hp Omni in there in that case.

Omni makes some bigger boxes, but not sure it's gonna be any cheaper than a new output shaft for yours

/ Well it lasted 2 1/2 years: Bushhog 286 Output Shaft Repair #10  
I'd be inclined to just buy the right parts and get it done, then it should last you a very long time. Usually when I see someone put a cheap box on instead of having the original rebuilt, they usually come back to get their original done after blowing apart the cheap one....
I've done a fair number of mower boxes. If you are reasonably mechanically inclined it is not complicated to tear one down yourself.