Well pressure Switch question

/ Well pressure Switch question #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
So I have been worried my water pressure is too high in my house. If I can trust the pressure gauges ( one at entrance to 30 gal pressure tank and one near carbon and string filter setup) when well shuts off with the 20 /40 pressure switch at 40 psi, the well pump clearly can be heard to shut off, but the pressure gauges continue to rise and even out around 80 psi ( if I can trust the gauges) I got a new gould 240 volt submersible well pump 2 years ago that replaced a 20 yr old one, my well is 30 ft deep spring) I did try adjusting the two nuts on the pressure switch and now have it turning well pump on at around 15 psi , if I can trust gauges , and well pump shuts off at 40 psi, but pressure continues to rise to at least 75 psi. What do the well experts here think is going on ???

/ Well pressure Switch question #2  
Could you draw the water circuit, scan the drawing, and post it? What you are describing should not be possible, but it's unlikely that two separate gauges would give wrong information. I'm stumped.

/ Well pressure Switch question
No scanning tech skills , but water comes in thru 1 1/4 " check valve past pressure switch tee, and pressure gauge tee, into pressure bladder tank, then out tank thru water softner, then thru carbon and string filter and another pressure gauge tee. Then to hot water tank tee off and cold water system etc etc. ( lots of inline valves to isolate the previous described components) I do notice that the pressure gauge near pressure tank is sometimes 10 psi different than the other gauge)

/ Well pressure Switch question #4  
A couple dumb questions, but have to ask . . .

You are not also connected to a city water supply, right?

You're not pumping water way uphill or into an elevated tank that could leak back past a check-valve, right?

Doesn't seem possible to build up pressure AFTER the pump shuts off. Does it feel like a fire hose when you first turn on a faucet or does it feel like typical 40 PSI well water system?

No not connected to city ( 20 miles away ) and top of well is 6ft in elevation down from house) I do agree it does not seem like 80 psi coming out of taps.....but replaced two toilet flush valves that began leaking over past year.( two different toilets)

/ Well pressure Switch question #6  
No not connected to city ( 20 miles away ) and top of well is 6ft in elevation down from house) I do agree it does not seem like 80 psi coming out of taps.....but replaced two toilet flush valves that began leaking over past year.

Are your pressure gauges both standard 100# range gauges?

Yes they are standard 100 psi gauges. 20220605_101438.jpg

/ Well pressure Switch question #8  
Are your pressure gauges both standard 100# range gauges?

If you trip the breaker to the well pump as soon as you hear the relay in the pressure switch shut off, does it still build up pressure? Do you think there's some way that the pump is being backfed voltage? Could it be running on one leg of the 240 volt circuit?

/ Well pressure Switch question #9  
Clutching at straws here . . .

/ Well pressure Switch question #10  
Don't know if it would account for the pressure increase you are seeing, but got to ask... Is the hot water heater cycling after the well cuts off and adding pressure into the system?