Well Pump Planing???

/ Well Pump Planing??? #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
I want to make plans for the replacement of my well pump (unknown age) and I'm trying to decide what pump to get. My well is 170' deep. Lowes website lists three 230 volt 1HP pumps that are 2 wire like my current pump (unkown HP and GPM) 10 gpm (max depth 350'), 18 gal (max depth 200') and 26 gpm (max depth 175').

Product Comparision Tool

Our house has 3 bath rooms (hopefully 4 in the future) and I'd like to run sprinklers off the pump too for the yard and maybe for a pasture if its really dry.

I think I should get the 26 gpm pump, but are there issues with a higher gallon per-minute pump?

/ Well Pump Planing??? #2  
What's the well producing in terms of GPM?

/ Well Pump Planing??? #3  
When you are taking into account the number of bathrooms, size of family and such, I think the size of your tank is the most important factor rather than the pump motor. If the tank is large, the motor need not be the most powerful.

For motor lifespan, the smaller the tank, the more your pump will kick on. The more the pump kicks on, the shorter the life span due to heating and cooling effects on the motor windings. A motor would be nearly as happy running full time as it would be not running at all. Turning on and shutting off is what kills it eventually.

If something like fire control enters the picture and you have fairly large diameter piping to some sort of fire hose in the event of a wildfire you would consider the largest pump size which is what I did.

/ Well Pump Planing??? #4  
How many GPM does the well make? What is the depth to water?
As an example: If the well makes 20GPM and depth to water is 100', a 25GPM pump will run the well dry.
A 10 or 15 GPM would be the choice.

/ Well Pump Planing??? #5  
dieselscout80 said:
I want to make plans for the replacement of my well pump (unknown age) and I'm trying to decide what pump to get. My well is 170' deep. Lowes website lists three 230 volt 1HP pumps that are 2 wire like my current pump (unkown HP and GPM) 10 gpm (max depth 350'), 18 gal (max depth 200') and 26 gpm (max depth 175').

Product Comparision Tool

Our house has 3 bath rooms (hopefully 4 in the future) and I'd like to run sprinklers off the pump too for the yard and maybe for a pasture if its really dry.

I think I should get the 26 gpm pump, but are there issues with a higher gallon per-minute pump?

get a 50gpm at a plumbing supply

/ Well Pump Planing???
How many GPM does the well make? What is the depth to water?
As an example: If the well makes 20GPM and depth to water is 100', a 25GPM pump will run the well dry.
A 10 or 15 GPM would be the choice.

I was told that when drilled the well tested at more than 160 gals per-minute. I'm not sure of the depth to the water. I've only owned the place abit longer than a year.

/ Well Pump Planing??? #8  
Diesel scout, If you measure the "depth to water", that will provide a more accurate GPM delivery rate for the pump.

One scenario would be to provide 10 GPM to the biggest pressure tank you could find. As previously mentioned, cycling of a pump is not good. That would provide the house with "more than adequate" water supply.

Second. For the irrigation/fire supression system.
Install the biggest storage tank/cistern practical. You could fill it when house demand was low. Learn the flow rate of the sprinklers you want to install. ie: 10 sprinklers at 1.5 GPM = 15 GPM/60PSI. Fire hose nozzle 1/4"@ 60 PSI~12 GPM.
You might install a 20 GPM pump on the storage tank for these applications w/60 PSI relief valve or return line to the tank.
Lots to consider. If you have a farming/irrigation supply store, they would be a good source for info.

/ Well Pump Planing??? #9  
I don't believe they have a two wire available, but we installed a pump with a VFD, and it is very nice. The supply in not cyclic at all. We run a irrigation system the lawn, and a tree belt and there is no noticeable difference in pressure at either the shop or house when they are running.

/ Well Pump Planing??? #10  
I see no mention of a pressure tank? Size of drill casing? Size of pipe down to connect said pump?Be certain the wiring is correct to the motor.