Well water - clogged screens on faucets and hot water heater

/ Well water - clogged screens on faucets and hot water heater #31  
I guess we are the only ones on here with the problem. I was hoping some new members might have a solution for us.

What it is: Properties of Biofilms

/ Well water - clogged screens on faucets and hot water heater #32  
I also had a problem with fine sand and lots of lime in my water. I installed an off the shelf whole house filter for like $40 plus maybe $5 in fittings. Problem was filters clogged in literally a week, and water pressure really dropped. What I did was I drilled about a dozen 1/8th inch wholes in a compressed paper (or whatever that material is) filter about mid way up. Sand gets trapped in filter "can" and water freely flows through the drilled holes. Just have to open it every couple months to dump the built up sand. My set up does nothing for hard water or microbes, but I can take a shower and drink without spitting out sand.

/ Well water - clogged screens on faucets and hot water heater #33  
will it disolve in water if you put it ina glass of warm water an stir?

/ Well water - clogged screens on faucets and hot water heater #34  
I guess we are the only ones on here with the problem. I was hoping some new members might have a solution for us.

I have the same issue with well water, but no soution for the problem. I clean the screen to the washing machine, and also change lower heating element in the water heater, regularly. I also flush the water heater, to try to get the sediment washed out. It helps, but not "the answer". I've been hoping that someone else posts a "fix".

/ Well water - clogged screens on faucets and hot water heater #36  
I guess this pile of stuff is some kind of bacteria dung?

No, it is bacteria, plus. Here is one definition: biofilm science definition
A complex structure adhering to surfaces that are regularly in contact with water, consisting of colonies of bacteria and usually other microorganisms such as yeasts, fungi, and protozoa that secrete a mucilaginous protective coating in which they are encased. Biofilms can form on solid or liquid surfaces as well as on soft tissue in living organisms, and are typically resistant to conventional methods of disinfection. Dental plaque, the slimy coating that fouls pipes and tanks, and algal mats on bodies of water are examples of biofilms.

It is slimy when wet, and will completely plug a screen, growing on both sides of it.

/ Well water - clogged screens on faucets and hot water heater #37  
Xfax: Has my pond cleanout begun moving up the list yet? :D

/ Well water - clogged screens on faucets and hot water heater #38  
Xfax: Has my pond cleanout begun moving up the list yet? :D

Nope, still second from the bottom, but I got some done and crossed off, so the list is shorter! :D

/ Well water - clogged screens on faucets and hot water heater #39  
Check your hot water heater. I had a similar problem several years ago. It turned out being the dip tube in the hot water heater had deteriated and was clogging all the faucets and the screens on the washing machine. Drove me crazy for a few months until someone at work told me about the dip tube problem.

/ Well water - clogged screens on faucets and hot water heater #40  
Check your hot water heater. I had a similar problem several years ago. It turned out being the dip tube in the hot water heater had deteriated and was clogging all the faucets and the screens on the washing machine. Drove me crazy for a few months until someone at work told me about the dip tube problem.

Yep, that is a different problem, the old dip tubes where plastic: Faulty Water Heater Dip Tube - Diagnosis and Replacement • Ron Hazelton Online • DIY Ideas & Projects