What a Joke

/ What a Joke #51  
Patches said:
The truck is rated to tow 10,300lbs;The GCWR(gross combined weight rating)meaning truck-trailer-and trailer load is 16,000lbs as per the Toyota manual. I am totally impressed with this ONE HALF TON's towing ability.I don't need a 3/4 or 1 ton, with the accompanying harsh ride, for my towing purposes.I never tow anything over 8500/9000 and it does that very well, thank you:cool:

This is the whole reason most want a half ton...comfort with the ability to tow a little something on occassion.

/ What a Joke #52  
Diamondpilot said:
I have driven every 1/2 ton except the new Toyota while towing and not. I have driven a 2005 1/2 ton Toyota. I have also owned a 3/4 ton Hemi Dodge, 3500 Duramax, and 3 F-250/F-350 Powerstrokes, and by far the best towing GAS truck of them all was the Nissan Titan. I was amazed at how it out performed my F-150 and I am a die hard Ford guy. One thing that was weird was the way they had the drive train set up. The only rear end gears they offered were a 2.94 and a 3.35. The 2.94 was equal to a 3.73 in other trucks and the 3.35 was equal to a 4.10.

Last May I was in the market for a new 1/2 ton truck for the wife. Wanted 4 doors, leather, sat radio, 4 wheel drive, sun roof, you get the picture. She drove them all from GM, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, and Dodge. She narrowed it down to Ford, Nissan, and Toyota. I did the dealing and the Ford dealer won by a good margin. Nissan and Toyota was way proud of the offerings they had. I can't wait for them to get into the Diesel market.

Chris
toyota is in the dealings with cat i heard this from a dealer in batavia ny

/ What a Joke #53  
hench861 said:
toyota is in the dealings with cat i heard this from a dealer in batavia ny

Every stupid kid that sells trucks likes to fantasize that the truck brand he sells with have a "Cat diesel" in it. :rolleyes:

My bet is on Hino, since Toyota owns Hino and they make a great diesel already.

/ What a Joke #54  
The last I heard Toyota had pushed back their plans for a diesel and that Cat was out of the question. As builder said, Hino is the most likely option but the rumors of a Cat diesel is always going to be there even if it is only a dream.

I do know this, in the US which truck will sell better. A Toyota with a Cat diesel or a Toyota with a Hino diesel:eek:

/ What a Joke #55  
Was listening to "Wheels with Ed Wallace" on KLIF this morning and he indicated that Toyota was going to put a diesel in the new model of the Toyota Sequoia once it comes in the Spring.

/ What a Joke #56  
What i dont get is the hangup on what its called.

we are to compare trucks with a "1/2 ton" designation? what about a .5T f150 from 1980 to a f150 from 2008. .5T is .5T but the specs (allowable towing, tare) etc varry widely even within the same manufactures veichial over time.

So if thats the case, who's to say a 2008 Tundra is a .5T truck? shure its got that label on it, but then again, what does that mean?

start comparing brake sizes, wheel base size, curb weights, HP/Torque #'s and then see were it falls into the pack.

frames are an intresting discussion. you could make one that is super stiff, you'd feel every tinny bump in the road. and youd likely suffer signifcant injuries when you crash it. one thats a bit more flexible is likely to ride smother, and give more in an accident.

personally i need a full size to tow with this year. i wont buy a new (anything).... but in a few years, youll see me sporting a couple year old tundra with a diesel in it.

/ What a Joke #58  
schmism said:
frames are an intresting discussion. you could make one that is super stiff, you'd feel every tinny bump in the road. and youd likely suffer signifcant injuries when you crash it. one thats a bit more flexible is likely to ride smother, and give more in an accident.

personally i need a full size to tow with this year. i wont buy a new (anything).... but in a few years, youll see me sporting a couple year old tundra with a diesel in it.

A stiff frame lower ride quality can be compensated for by increasing the length of the leaf springs, use of gas shocks and better quality tires, cab mounts, seats, etc.. Although a flexible frame has a nicer ride, a flexible frame cannot really get compensation for being flimsy. A stiffer frames lesser crashworthiness can be compensated for with front frame sections that are specially built to absorb energy.

Just curious- you say you'll "be sporting a couple year old Tundra with a diesel in it".
Well, what if the Tundra diesel is a major flop, like the T-100 was? What if a GM, Ford or Dodge diesel is building a superior truck? What then?

Is Toyota the "inevitable one" even before it's put one mile on the road in real world use with a diesel under the hood? :confused:

/ What a Joke #59  
To me, I am not sure what difference it makes if Toyota says it can tow a 10,000 pound trailer. All the current half ton makers are looking to enhance sales by luring buyers into thinking they are getting "close to a 3/4 ton" without the necessary comprimises of increased size, weight and perhaps lower fuel economy. Most of those that post on this forum would not consider a Tundra for heavy duty daily towing, but if one were taking the travel trailer to the beach for example or similar duties, a Tundra or most half tons would do fine. Although you might occasionally see 1/2 tons overloaded, these are likely the same people trying to pull 40,000 pounds with a 3/4 ton--they are going to be unsafe no matter what they own. I think Toyota makes an excellent truck. They do offer some older technology mixed with the new, but for a first true foray into this type truck they have done pretty well. They also have bolstered competition between the other brands. I would personally like to see an end to comments spread within the forum about specific brands, i.e., "Built Ford tough, until it breaks." that occasionally pop up. I realize that we like our respective brands and are very loyal to them, but to assess a reputable brand in this way is unfortunate. My Ford is--to some's chagrin--at 20,000 without an implosion. No problems to report as of yet; tows and rides great; doesn't squat pulling up to 11,000 pounds on a receiver hitch. No codes, no blows, no trannie problems either. I keep waiting for the axe to fall; but I am thinking it might not; go figure. In any event, one thing said poster and I do agree upon is the unfortunate exodus of production overseas. It does not sound like it is going to change anytime soon with our current tax structure (this is not a political--merely financial--observation).

John M

/ What a Joke #60  
jcmseven said:
To me, I am not sure what difference it makes if Toyota says it can tow a 10,000 pound trailer. All the current half ton makers are looking to enhance sales by luring buyers into thinking they are getting "close to a 3/4 ton" without the necessary comprimises of increased size, weight and perhaps lower fuel economy. Most of those that post on this forum would not consider a Tundra for heavy duty daily towing, but if one were taking the travel trailer to the beach for example or similar duties, a Tundra or most half tons would do fine. Although you might occasionally see 1/2 tons overloaded, these are likely the same people trying to pull 40,000 pounds with a 3/4 ton--they are going to be unsafe no matter what they own. I think Toyota makes an excellent truck. They do offer some older technology mixed with the new, but for a first true foray into this type truck they have done pretty well. They also have bolstered competition between the other brands. I would personally like to see an end to comments spread within the forum about specific brands, i.e., "Built Ford tough, until it breaks." that occasionally pop up. I realize that we like our respective brands and are very loyal to them, but to assess a reputable brand in this way is unfortunate. My Ford is--to some's chagrin--at 20,000 without an implosion. No problems to report as of yet; tows and rides great; doesn't squat pulling up to 11,000 pounds on a receiver hitch. No codes, no blows, no trannie problems either. I keep waiting for the axe to fall; but I am thinking it might not; go figure. In any event, one thing said poster and I do agree upon is the unfortunate exodus of production overseas. It does not sound like it is going to change anytime soon with our current tax structure (this is not a political--merely financial--observation).

John M

John,

Just a bit of advice, 20,000 miles isn't really even broken in yet. See what happens after 100K ;)

I've owned over a dozen Fords used in commercial applications-plowing, construction, dumps, etc. Most were good, but they do break at the worst possible times.