What am I doing wrong

/ What am I doing wrong #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
OK, so I have learned to Mig Weld via the web. Just being honest here. I am learning a lot, but some things don't make sense.

Wanted to ask you guys why the head of my welder looks this way. I seem to get it gunked up pretty quickly. Am I holding too close (I have to weld outdoors so MIG gas is an issue). Or is this just how after running 24" of weld the thing looks and cleaning is part of the process?

Attachments

• IMG_3016.jpg
    IMG_3016.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 326
   / What am I doing wrong #2  
I'm a beginner myself, but that looks pretty bad for 24" of bead. Are you using welding gel on the tip?

/ What am I doing wrong #3  
That's a lot of spatter. Do you have MIG pliers to keep the tip clean?

I'd defer to ArcWeld or one of the other pros on cause but I'd assume you are too close and ??too hot.

/ What am I doing wrong #4  
Are you using wire rated for use without gas? My weld tips have never looked like that. I dont use tip grease, but i do use gas shelding and wire ment for use with gas as the welding area stays alot cleaner of splatter.

/ What am I doing wrong #5  
Git ya some nozzle dip.

/ What am I doing wrong #6  
Most likely you don't have the settings correct. First thing I would do is turn down the voltage. Can you post a picture of your welds?
With Mig welding I maintain about 3/8-inch stick out, (end of wire to contact tip). I also keep the gas nozzle flush with the contact tip.

/ What am I doing wrong #7  
Check electrical settings: Should be DC with Reverse Polarity (electrode positive).

/ What am I doing wrong #8  
Looks Hot . Consider gun angle. Looks like your going straight in. and is the material clean?

/ What am I doing wrong #9  
OK, so I have learned to Mig Weld via the web. Just being honest here. I am learning a lot, but some things don't make sense.

Wanted to ask you guys why the head of my welder looks this way. I seem to get it gunked up pretty quickly. Am I holding too close (I have to weld outdoors so MIG gas is an issue). Or is this just how after running 24" of weld the thing looks and cleaning is part of the process?

i think part of the possible problem you already mentioned:

(I have to weld outdoors so MIG gas is an issue)

Couple of ideas, in addition to those already mentioned- and agree it could be set at to high of voltage

If much of the shield gas gets blown away from the tip and or metal, the splatter and what gets blown back at the migs tip seems to be multiplied, I pretty much gave up on mig welding outside if there is much breeze at all, due to inadequate shielding, but have never tried flux core. I have also had problems on cold days with my regulator freezing up and reducing flow(I just use CO2) but when it happens sure makes a mess of both the weld and tip.
Maybe try a similar weld inside out of the wind, just for comparison?

Also do you have a picture of the weld that was made when the tip got this gunked up,- just wondering how clean the metal was and if possibly the metal was contaminated with impurities ?

/ What am I doing wrong #10  
I have also had problems on cold days with my regulator freezing up and reducing flow(I just use CO2) but when it happens sure makes a mess of both the weld and tip.
In the old days we use to have regulators with heaters built in to them. Just plug a 120-volt extension cord to it. But I haven't seen them in years. You could also hang a mechanic's drop light on the regulator, the heat from the light bulb will help keep the regulator from freezing up.