What did you buy this week?

/ What did you buy this week? #91  
This week I am having a new sewer line put in, also bought a new portable generator to power the new well until I get a permanent power solution setup.

/ What did you buy this week? #92  
MoKelly have you ever had cabbage slaw make like this:
Old German

schredded cabbage
salad dressing or mayo
mustard in the yellow container
sugar

mix well and store in frig for a couple of hours
really tasty YUM YUM

willy

/ What did you buy this week? #93  
Hope all that college didn't undo all the good you taught her during her formative years!
I hear you and I was worried too, but she will be ok.

/ What did you buy this week? #94  
US Military used GM 6.5L diesel engines in the Humvees the entire time (not a great choice, admittedly). Current Oshkosh JLTV (Humvee replacement) uses a 6.6L Duramax. "The Beast" presidential limo uses a Duramax. The Secret Service has an armored heavy box truck in every motorcade which handles all comms and logistics and can jam signals...Ford 6.7L powered truck.

I've been around diesels for awhile now. Cummins is still very good, but far from perfect. It seems Ford and GM have both improved their V8 diesels a lot while Cummins has perhaps slightly declined in quality and reliability. A million mile Duramax or Powerstroke nowadays is as common as a million mile Cummins. And the V8 diesels are putting out more power and torque.
None of those items you listed are major manufacturers of heavy equipment, pumps or generators. You just mentioned a few uses because of the vehicle manufacturer that was used along with the engine that is designed and fitted with their brand. The V-8 was designed as a more compact power plant years ago but hasn’t proven to be that great for Diesels. Even Caterpillar engines were best in the straight six configuration. One big consideration is serviceability and parts sameness. Cummins is the only only one designed that way. Go looking for a water-pump for GM or even worse a Ford Diesel and see how many different parts are used. That is another reason that engines are designed for and around. Since they don’t think like car companies who make engines, they are an engine company. Car companies want proprietary parts sales for as long as possible and do not design for availability or serviceability.

/ What did you buy this week? #95  
MoKelly have you ever had cabbage slaw make like this:
Old German

schredded cabbage
salad dressing or mayo
mustard in the yellow container
sugar

mix well and store in frig for a couple of hours
really tasty YUM YUM

willy
I make some tasty and healthy sauerkraut with my cabbage, real easy to do and it is alive with real, natural probiotics! The canned stuff is dead and not really all that healthy. The only good in it is fiber, all the probiotics have been killed in the pasteurization.
I shred the cabbage in my wife's kitchenaid mixer with a shredding attachment. I used to just cut it with a knife.
I also add cut up broccoli, carrots and dill in season. If you add cucumbers you will have tasty fermented pickles in the mix too. Be creative, you can add all sorts of veggies to the mix. Mix it all together in a large (5 quart or larger) pan, then let it sit in the open air for an hour or so. I have left it sit over night before. Pack it into wide mouth quart jars, fill it with brine (3 tbsp plain salt per quart of water), I use glass fermentation weights, but you don't need to as long as you keep the top covered in brine. then put the lid on and let it sit in a pan to catch the brine that overflows during fermentation. It will start bubbling soon, then you know it is working.
After a week, you may need to top the brine off, as a fair amount will over flow out past the lids. ( you don't want them too tight, as they could blow up) More precise instructions can be found on the internet. Tastes soo much better than the store bought and much cheaper than the "live" stuff you can buy. Just don't cook it before eating, as that will kill the good bacteria!
I cut up the cabbage cores and feed them to the wife's dogs for a treat!
If you have them, I prefer plastic screw on lids, as they wont rust from the naturally occurring lactic acid and the salt. Using wide mouth jar lids helps with the seal.
Once it reaches the level of sourness you like, put it in the fridge to slow/stop the fermentation and enjoy by itself or on sandwiches, potatoes, however you like it!
Even on the counter, it will last quite a while. You will never buy canned again!

/ What did you buy this week? #96  
US Military used GM 6.5L diesel engines in the Humvees the entire time (not a great choice, admittedly). Current Oshkosh JLTV (Humvee replacement) uses a 6.6L Duramax. "The Beast" presidential limo uses a Duramax. The Secret Service has an armored heavy box truck in every motorcade which handles all comms and logistics and can jam signals...Ford 6.7L powered truck.

I've been around diesels for awhile now. Cummins is still very good, but far from perfect. It seems Ford and GM have both improved their V8 diesels a lot while Cummins has perhaps slightly declined in quality and reliability. A million mile Duramax or Powerstroke nowadays is as common as a million mile Cummins. And the V8 diesels are putting out more power and torque.

I will put a Cummins up against either of the V-8 diesels and 8 out of 10 times the Cummins will pull harder & run longer. I have owned several Powerstrokes, 1 Duramax and 1 Cummins.

Cummins pulls hardest
Duramax had the nicest feel- like a big block
Powerstrokes were either weaker or extremely unreliable.

I’ll run Cummins in my trucks, or Ag tractors over anything Ford builds.

/ What did you buy this week? #97  
None of those items you listed are major manufacturers of heavy equipment, pumps or generators. You just mentioned a few uses because of the vehicle manufacturer that was used along with the engine that is designed and fitted with their brand. The V-8 was designed as a more compact power plant years ago but hasn’t proven to be that great for Diesels. Even Caterpillar engines were best in the straight six configuration. One big consideration is serviceability and parts sameness. Cummins is the only only one designed that way. Go looking for a water-pump for GM or even worse a Ford Diesel and see how many different parts are used. That is another reason that engines are designed for and around. Since they don’t think like car companies who make engines, they are an engine company. Car companies want proprietary parts sales for as long as possible and do not design for availability or serviceability.
Diesel V-8s are mainly light duty designs in vehicles like trucks.
Diesel I-6’s are 99% of what you see in AG, heavy trucks and off road equipment.

CAT & MACK had a V-8 diesel, but they are long gone and drank fuel

Straight 6 crankshaft has more bearings and higher torque with less fuel consumption.

/ What did you buy this week? #98  
I will put a Cummins up against either of the V-8 diesels and 8 out of 10 times the Cummins will pull harder & run longer. I have owned several Powerstrokes, 1 Duramax and 1 Cummins.

Cummins pulls hardest
Duramax had the nicest feel- like a big block
Powerstrokes were either weaker or extremely unreliable.

I’ll run Cummins in my trucks, or Ag tractors over anything Ford builds.

I own a 2019 RAM 3500 6.7L HO Cummins with the Aisin transmission. Its a nice engine with good power; the transmission is durable but clunky and slow shifting. Compared to my 2017 F-350 with the 6.7L Powerstroke, the RAM is slower and if anything gets worse fuel economy. Its also harder to service - and that's not the fault of the Cummins 6.7L since its used in other applications - but the oil filter is in a terrible spot on the pickups and so are the fuel filters. A modern Ford 6.7L is effortless to change the oil and fuel filters. Duramax is pretty easy too. And if you watch any of TFL Truck's comparison tests towing max loads up the Eisenhower tunnel pass in the rockies, the latest Powerstrokes really outclass the Cummins trucks. Considerably quicker and better fuel economy. Will they last as long? Who knows. I also still have two Ford 6.0L trucks, a 350 and a 550. That V8 diesel was made by Navistar and known for its problems. But once you fix them, its a great engine and I like it better than similar-vintage Cummins 5.9L 24V engines. More power, much more responsive, just not as good of fuel economy.

/ What did you buy this week? #99  
I have 4.2L 5cyl Powerstroke diesel with intercooler and turbo in my Transit van. This is a great little motor that makes good torque and decent mileage.

/ What did you buy this week? #100  
I have 4.2L 5cyl Powerstroke diesel with intercooler and turbo in my Transit van. This is a great little motor that makes good torque and decent mileage.
Pretty sure its a 3.2L engine. Ford stopped offering these in the last couple of years. I know they can be hard to work on for certain procedures, not the engine's fault...just that its in a van.