What did you do on the first day of retirement?

/ What did you do on the first day of retirement? #61  
I retired 9 years ago after 35 years (mostly graveyards) as a 9-1-1 operator. I don't think I did anything special the first day off, but within a month I'd bought my first tractor. I got my second one (with a backhoe) about 6 months later and used them to clear about 3 acres of eucalyptus trees from my 5 acres. I still wake up early (I've probably only slept until 7 AM once since I retired), but if I wake at 3 AM, I'm likely to just get up rather than try to fight to get back to sleep as it isn't like I have to be awake for work (naps are good!). I don't have any hobbies (other than playing on the computer & reading - no TV and very little alcohol), but still try to putter in the yard (mostly on one or the other tractors) an hour or two every day (now planting a few fruit trees). My retirement party was an informal lunch, which was kind of my gift to my coworkers as they got a break with free food in the middle of a shift. Got rid of the emus, so we are just down to a few chickens, dogs, cats & koi. Health is good & life is good.

/ What did you do on the first day of retirement? #62  
First off, to all those retired, I say congrats. :drink:

I was going to sign the papers next week and retire in the middle of March. (lots of vacation) However, I think I'll stay until May unless someone really ticks me off. :D

As others have stated; hobbies or the like are a must. If you don't have a reason to get up you'll just die. :eek: I have my snowmachine for winter and the Harley for summer so I'm covered year round. I also plan to buy a larger place and raise about 20-30 cows, just enough to keep me busy without calling it out right work. :)

I coulda and shoulda worked a couple more years but had enough so I retired the very first day I was eligible, at 54. Several more years would have added a few more bucks to the retirement check but wouldn't have made that much difference. I needed more time to figure out hobbies and what to do with myself. Still haven't figured it out.

At least, you seem to have a plan. Good Luck.

/ What did you do on the first day of retirement? #63  
There is a quote I sew recently..."We all think we have the time..."

I turn 55 next week and I'm in good health. (other than Asthma) I was going to retire next year but three bosses up started messing with me at work. When he found out I was serious about retiring he started back peddling and apologizing. I work in the control room of a oil refinery, not to brag but I'm very good at what I do and the bosses know it. He knows if I retire they'll have a big hole to fill since I train most of the new Board Operators. Either way, I'll be done by mid year or sooner.
The biggest reason for not going now is I don't want to move in the winter and I haven't found a place to move too.:laughing:

/ What did you do on the first day of retirement? #64  
I worked rotating shifts most of my career. The pay was good but the job was lacking. When you get set in a profession, many times it is too hard to start over to do what you really want to do. I stuck it out and planned my exit by maxing out the 401, IRA's and investments many of those years. I learned about investing. I stuck to a budget and lived well below my means. I don't think anybody just, "retires", it is a carefully planned event. When I hit my minimum retirement age for full benefits, I was out the door two weeks later. I have never set foot in my old work place since I retired, but have lunch sometimes with old co-workers I like. My take home pay now is near double what my salary was. This week, I will be retired for four years and I will be 60. The Christians say they have been born again...but believe me...I have feel like I been given a second chance at life. I don't think many people feel that way, but I sure do. Even now, I still think about it every day. I also get up early...around 6am. But now my new job is doing things I like and out in the woods all the time and with the people I really like. There is always a period of adjustment after retiring and you learn to go with the flow. In Life, it is important to do new things outside your comfort zone and push yourself at times. You will be pleasantly surprised at the new people you meet that way. Looking back...my first day of retirement was a feeling of relief that I made it. I relaxed that day.

For you guys still working...don't put off learning about investing, max out your 401, IRA's, and learn to live on a budget. Keep your mouth shut at work and do your own thing since you have a plan. You don't need that maga-mansion or that monster truck. I know buying things makes you feel better in the short term, but that does not fit into the plan long range. You have to have one foot in the present and one foot in the future. Sorry for the Mind Dump.

/ What did you do on the first day of retirement? #65  
Redbug, I enjoyed reading your views and plans for retirement. I strongly agree, fellow workers that either haven't planned their retirement or are much too young will not be pleased with your success in being able to do so.

I 'retired' the first time at age 53. Within 6 months I was totally bored of my scull. Too much idle time, too young and with no plans. So I went back to work, eventually ending up with the same firm that I initially retire from. All-in-all, I worked 50 years, until age 65. By then, I did have plans, hobbies, and projects to complete. No - my co-workers (secretly) were not thrilled for me. But that's totally understandable - retirement is for me to enjoy, not a group activity.

It took me a while to quit thinking about who would replace me, how much better I could have handled that job, and the money that I was no longer making. When I was able to get past that though, and began a new life for myself, I found that retirement was well deserved and most enjoyable.

Again, thanks Redbug for your insights, which I found to be most true, at least in my case.

/ What did you do on the first day of retirement? #66  
I worked rotating shifts most of my career. The pay was good but the job was lacking. When you get set in a profession, many times it is too hard to start over to do what you really want to do. I stuck it out and planned my exit by maxing out the 401, IRA's and investments many of those years. I learned about investing. I stuck to a budget and lived well below my means. I don't think anybody just, "retires", it is a carefully planned event. When I hit my minimum retirement age for full benefits, I was out the door two weeks later. I have never set foot in my old work place since I retired, but have lunch sometimes with old co-workers I like. My take home pay now is near double what my salary was. This week, I will be retired for four years and I will be 60. The Christians say they have been born again...but believe me...I have feel like I been given a second chance at life. I don't think many people feel that way, but I sure do. Even now, I still think about it every day. I also get up early...around 6am. But now my new job is doing things I like and out in the woods all the time and with the people I really like. There is always a period of adjustment after retiring and you learn to go with the flow. In Life, it is important to do new things outside your comfort zone and push yourself at times. You will be pleasantly surprised at the new people you meet that way. Looking back...my first day of retirement was a feeling of relief that I made it. I relaxed that day.

For you guys still working...don't put off learning about investing, max out your 401, IRA's, and learn to live on a budget. Keep your mouth shut at work and do your own thing since you have a plan. You don't need that maga-mansion or that monster truck. I know buying things makes you feel better in the short term, but that does not fit into the plan long range. You have to have one foot in the present and one foot in the future. Sorry for the Mind Dump.

Sage advice and I have tried to follow this philosophy for many years. I am at a point now where I can see the light of retirement and really enjoy hearing each of these stories and outlooks.

/ What did you do on the first day of retirement? #67  
Best advise I can give is to be debt free prior to retirement. Don't go hog-wild and spend a bunch of money without first giving careful consideration of "Needs vs Wants". When you reach retirement age, you should need very little but a lot of folks spend like drunken sailors on all the "Wants" and usually regret it. Don't rush in to anything. Be thoughtful, be patient.

/ What did you do on the first day of retirement? #68  
For those of you that retired early, did you announce it to tour friends? Have a little party that evening? Any special meeting at work resigning/retiring?

I am one year out from today and am wondering how I am going to go about it without pissing off a bunch of people.

The only people I informed of retiring was my administrative boss (person who assigned me to projects) and no party or long good byes. Even so, I went back for a couple of short term (4-5 month) projects on overseas assignments for the next 2 years. At 61 YOA, I said no more to my boss and have yet to miss it. I do get some emails from past peers occasionally but no longer are they about work.

I think the best way to retire is to just leave that way there is no pressure for you to keep working. I filled out my retirement papers online after I left.

/ What did you do on the first day of retirement? #69  
Best advise I can give is to be debt free prior to retirement. Don't go hog-wild and spend a bunch of money without first giving careful consideration of "Needs vs Wants". When you reach retirement age, you should need very little but a lot of folks spend like drunken sailors on all the "Wants" and usually regret it. Don't rush in to anything. Be thoughtful, be patient.

This is the best advice. If your place of employment doesn't have a pension plan or even if it does, get into a 401K and max it out from an early age (25 years old or less) since the earlier you start the more you can save. Don't go hog wild with extravagant cars and lifestyles that you don't need. The last couple of years before retirement, I started planning on my retirement home, bought some land, designed the house myself (with wife's input), paid cash to have it and my shop built, paid off everything, bought a brand new car for retirement along with my two tractors so I started retirement with 0 debt, a big bank account and large 401K.

I now live the way I want to, buy what I want (but nothing extravagant), do what I want, when I want to do it. LIFE IS GOOD.

/ What did you do on the first day of retirement? #70  
Yeah, I'm not officially retired yet, but I can tell this retirement thing is not all we think it might be. Unless we have hobbies, other things to do! My official retirement date will be ----- April 1, 2018! March 31st will be my last day. I have so many hobbies and liking to hunt, fish, all things outdoors, no way will I be unemployed. Problem is health. Had pacemaker and stent installed in October after about kicking bucket, so that will slow me down a lot. Anyway, I'm still looking forward to no more reports and other mess I have to deal with as a self-employed contractor to a big NGO non profit. Sayonara boys, come April 1.

Retired or not,,,,, if a man has good health he has nothing to complain about!!!! Glad you survived and hope to visit with you twenty years from now about how your retirement is going!!! :)