What did you do to or on your Mahindra today?

/ What did you do to or on your Mahindra today?
A few years ago, some friends and I built a hunting blind on my property. Built it out of 16' 4x6 and put a little house on top. Really nice.

After learning the property and deer movement, I came to realize this stand is in the wrong location.

So I went to move the stand this weekend.

After about an hour of using my Mahindra, forks, and my excavator, I now have a $1,000 pile of used lumber.

/ What did you do to or on your Mahindra today? #802  
The saddest duty in ranching is a monstrous act of mercy. Shooting a downed cow to put it out of its misery before buzzards begin their gruesome job while she is still alive. The one yesterday was especially poignant. She was the first and the last of our three longhorns purchased as pasture ornaments.

A cull at the auction, her pedigree was By Truck out of Dallas. My Dad bought her in 2005 for a mere $265, just for her horns which had the Texas Twist. She was probably about ten years old then and so skinny I named her the Sandwich Longhorn. She only had enough meat on her to make one sandwich.

Our rough old cows pushed her around until she got some flesh on her and she figured out that she had horns and they did not. After that, the little longhorn became a leader, a bell cow albeit without a bell. That was 15 years ago. She had a calf every year except 2018 then surprised us a month ago with yet one more calf.

We were in the process of building a brush pile to burn when my ranch hand spotted her down in some thick yaupon. For years I had planned on having her horns mounted and now mulled over whether to shoot her in the skull like we normally do. That would leave a bullet hole in the mount, but I decided that would be part of her story. I stuck a shovel in the ground about ten yards from her and used it to steady my hold on the .270. Her head dropped straight down then listed over onto one horn.

The Mahindra dragged her out in the open. The Wicked grapple lifted her with a chain around those horns to a convenient height for severing her noble head. Then carried her body to the top of what would now be her funeral pyre.

The famous Sportsman's Memory Shop agreed to do the honors. They are not great horns, but they will be an enduring reminder of part of our family history.

Rest in Peace, Sandwich Longhorn.

mhFzCFMxN8yfTGrTuvrEPx8F0_V0QtSojBwbiew11NDv4gK7uv0kK_AVuywT-e1lpExiOfGHNnQ4gFwcetjZJl4SwJ2xddiGn_Mw30Zxda1LMPTyJXSEK8ofYxwmks4wUQZh0vVy0ZmXJ6_HQVSnWlGRL7X28gt1nPF1QIYkSQlcAd-jQq_GvrMPI9I_H1-yV_Hn6R9cTCK46xKxipDd9_-nBMRsQlVU2hGkbc7YGbhXZzKe-6zC8MFYHj5OiM0nzjCRFNuEvKZYQVicNVBkorOcwbRPq7tiu-cfy0gKhxmE6-ZSCANhjHTU5bBhC1yXdu9lr5CRWnle6nf43aprkdOn4nzoz17Wa7rl_oXcCbgheUdyx4CX7MTwMvLoaDXQo284yIl9XQn9GU54u5g_dO9y5lhDnhu3wnv_LKDl96KvXTYS5LwAPPiGVwrQnnICMwZrMXEQUe-c-j_tbMyDRQHUsS7chtkEgyA0YoGF--k1fPT1OCoi-PoT9Or08Nafm3yD_i49WP5tw3DTUfB4m5hDHdmw_YtcGTMKHKSFo8HIGRoYH4EZ0u1DtIw7W-kgUokwgqTlgn0Cbxa10QnXyMynaFE2Pec4TrHZtOKsKxUquURYqiz4n8lWklIa3_tD9WTXh2Nu7Sm-oZu25r01UmWOxAspejzgvkfMUctStLWF20U9vFwfIaHh=w800-no-tmp.jpg
Thanks for sharing that, it's sad to give them up.

/ What did you do to or on your Mahindra today? #803  
My Grandmother had a working farm no cows but just about everything else. Nothing worse than having an animal get to that point. She had a retired race horse one of her pets that me and about ten buddies had to fish out of her pond one summer day. In his old age he must of had a stroke or something enough to put him down, but not kill him. He fell in the pond just far enough to thrash but not drown. We wanted to put him down but with her standing on the bank we were able to get him out and up into his stall. The vet put him down the next day there was nothing the could do he just couldn't really stand on his own so it was time. In his youth that was one amazing horse ran like a gazelle, and very friendly. Sorry it went that way Mad Mac, but you know it happens.

/ What did you do to or on your Mahindra today? #804  
I couldn't find a red one close to me so I bought this scraper grader from our Kubota dealer today. There's a learning curve, but this is a handy implement for my driveway. 20200222_125211.jpeg20200222_141916.jpeg20200222_132937.jpeg

/ What did you do to or on your Mahindra today? #805  
mobed big piles of chips and moved firewood. also used the bucket to doze some rotten wood and other junk into piles to rot down. good day.

/ What did you do to or on your Mahindra today? #806  
Spent some time at the farm this week w the grandkids.. Was dry enough to get some work done w Mahindra
IMG_1099.JPG
IMG_1129.JPG
IMG_1134.JPGIMG_1138.JPG
IMG_1140 (1).JPG

/ What did you do to or on your Mahindra today? #807  
First opportunity to use my 2516 since I got it. There was definitely a learning curve with the HST. I'm used to the manual shifts with my Fords. Used it today to clean out road ditches and move a dirt pile. Thought it was a little underpowered moving the dirt. Just took a little longer. I guess I'm used to the bigger Fords. All in all, at the end of the day, I still enjoyed it.

/ What did you do to or on your Mahindra today? #808  
First opportunity to use my 2516 since I got it. There was definitely a learning curve with the HST. I'm used to the manual shifts with my Fords. Used it today to clean out road ditches and move a dirt pile. Thought it was a little underpowered moving the dirt. Just took a little longer. I guess I'm used to the bigger Fords. All in all, at the end of the day, I still enjoyed it.

There is a learning curve with the HST. After driving geared tractors where you push down the go pedal to give it more power, it is hard to learn that pushing the go pedal is not what you want to do, but lift up on it when it is struggling.

/ What did you do to or on your Mahindra today? #809  
There is a learning curve with the HST. After driving geared tractors where you push down the go pedal to give it more power, it is hard to learn that pushing the go pedal is not what you want to do, but lift up on it when it is struggling.

I still forget once in a while myself, and mash the pedal down. A couple of days ago I was working on an area I had cleared of brush, and had the loader bucket heavily loaded with wood as well as the old concrete septic tank lid (from before I installed a riser to bring it to grade). I had to back uphill, and still had the HST in high range as well. It reminded me right away of my senior moment.

/ What did you do to or on your Mahindra today? #810  
Things are drying up nicely, so today I tilled my neighbour's vegetable garden with my eMax 20 and my Mahindra branded (although made in Canada by Bercomac) 48" rototiller. As usual, the little tractor performed well, with more than enough power to handle the job. An enjoyable couple of hours, with a smooth expanse of rich black soil left behind.