What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets?

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets?
I raised a neighbors shed with mine. He had hauled in dirt and that put the shed below grade. We lifted it straight up and put solid 4" blocks under it and set it back down.

This is not something I was thinking but I have a tractor and 48" forks that will lift around 3000 lbs. Suppose I can pick up my 8' x 10' typical gambrel roof shed? I would love to.

I'm the OP on this and after having forks for a few months now, I have only picked up one pallet and that was mostly to see what it felt like. Seems it's done everything else but pick up pallets. I love my forks and they are a must have. I would never have guessed that.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #92  
This is not something I was thinking but I have a tractor and 48" forks that will lift around 3000 lbs. Suppose I can pick up my 8' x 10' typical gambrel roof shed? I would love to.

I'm the OP on this and after having forks for a few months now, I have only picked up one pallet and that was mostly to see what it felt like. Seems it's done everything else but pick up pallets. I love my forks and they are a must have. I would never have guessed that.

I built this on an 8x10 platform, added a 2x4 to each side of the middle joist so the forks would have more real estate to distribute the weight.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #93  
You will find them as or more useful than the bucket. A coworker doubted me on this statement till he bought a set when he got a sawmill.

My forks are pin-on and I would say they reside on the loader more than the bucket.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets?
I'm the OP on this and have now had forks for more than a year. It's hard to believe how useful they are. I do lift a pallet of something or other every now and then but mostly lift everything else. Recently I picked up a piece of farm equipment and put it on a trailer. No twisting on the chain and no struggling to get it in the right spot. Plop and it was home free.

Moved a big rock to put in front of the wellhead and it was easy. No torn grass from the bucket and no jockeying for position and tearing things up. I picked up the rock, dropped it where I wanted to, gave it a nudge because the wife said so and --yawn--I was done.

By far, the best use is to move things around that are difficult to move. Rather than cutting up a15 ft evergreen and then hauling it to the burn pile, just pick up the entire tree and be done with it. Or a two row planter that would take 15 minutes to get a tractor ready to hook up. No worry; just pick it up with the forks.

Anyway, if you ever wonder about forks, don't. Just get a set.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #95  
They are great for cycling and doing suspension work as well as pulling engines etc. Picture 045.jpg

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #96  
Moving the hay baler. One side is on a cart with 4 caster wheels, the jack is on another 4 wheeled cart and the heavy side is on a cut down pallet. Lets me slide it sideways and fit it in with a few inches to spare.
That way, I can fit the mower conditioner, the tedder, the side delivery rake and the baler in a 10'x30' section of the pole barn.

Aaron Z

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #97  
Move the diesel fuel tank (on a pallet)

P8120009.JPG

P8120012.JPG

P8120016.JPG

P8120018.JPG

P8120023.JPG

P8120027.JPG

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #98  
Makes a good work platform also.
DSCN2163.JPGDSCN2211.JPGDSCN2275.JPG

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #100  
I cut off a section of welded wire fence panel about six feet long and turned up the end. Sometimes I weave the panel over the forks and use it to transport loose hay. My forks are 60" long, overkill for many applications but good for this one.

Last edited: