What else is a PHD useful for?

/ What else is a PHD useful for? #11  
I bet if you took the pilot bit off you could mix cement in a barrel with one. How about a redneck laundry washer?

/ What else is a PHD useful for? #12  
If all you need to do is dig 40 postholes, what kind of soil conditions are you digging in? If it's loamy with no clay or rock layers, it would probably be quicker to dig them with a pair of post hole diggers and a sharp shooter.

I bought a PHD when I bought this place 24 years ago and I have ended up digging WAY more post holes with a pair of post hole diggers than with my fancy PHD. If you're lucky enough to have soil conditions like mine, you will find it much easier and quicker to just dig them by hand.

Hope this helps.

/ What else is a PHD useful for? #13  
In my opinion, a PHD is indispensable. When you need a hole dug, you get it dug, no back breaking labor for minutes or hours. If you have a stand for it, it is a simple thing to hitch up, just a few minutes. You don't need to plan out the timetable for renting. But like anything you have to weigh the pros and cons. Some people seem to have a real problem with them while others have none. Some use them for a fence and sell them, some seldom use them, others use them all the time. A lot just depends on you.

Me, it varies on what project that I am working on. I will say that there was a time when my PHD didn't come off the stand for over 2 years, another time it didn't come off the tractor for months. Now I spent a lot of money for my PHD and the 5 augers and they work very well for me. I would not be without one, but that very well might just be me. ;)

/ What else is a PHD useful for? #14  
I use a two-wheeled towable PHD with hydraulic drive, but you could do the same with a tractor mounted one.

Mine digs a lot of post holes, it's good for digging holes for small concrete piles, it's great for planting trees, and I had a buddy (same one who built the auger) make up an adaptor for driving ground hogs (the screw-in steel piles) into the ground. I've also used it for short trenches...just dig a series of holes in a line and clean in between with a shovel.

If I didn't need it for work though, I would just rent.

/ What else is a PHD useful for? #15  
If I had a little more slope (and some snow) I might consider putting a pulley on for a rope-tow. Get a little skiing in.