What "extras" do you regret when buying nee

/ What "extras" do you regret when buying nee #1  

TomIre

Gold Member
Tractor
Branson 3725
What "extras" do you regret when buying new

What extras do you regret - either that you bought or wish you'd bought from the dealer when you got a new tractor? I'm thinking extras like Rimguard, 50 hour service included, manuals, third function remote, etc. What should I ask for / pay for when buying new?

Last edited:
   / What "extras" do you regret when buying nee #2  
When I bought my M6040 new in 2009 - I asked the dealer what kind of a deal he could give me. I got about 12 to 14% off MSRP and then he threw in a Land Pride RB3596 - rear blade , at no added cost. He knew I would be buying many more implements - he was correct.

Occasionally I regret not getting a second and third rear hydraulic valving and control system. But then my Rhino 950 rear blade would have cost almost $1000 more with all the hydraulic tip, tilt, angle, dodge & weave controls. The hydraulic top link is just fine.

/ What "extras" do you regret when buying nee #3  
At least twice as many HP. My tractor does everything I need but sometime it strugles. I think I should have bought at least 60 or better 80 HP machine. But then all implements would cost proportionally more also.

/ What "extras" do you regret when buying nee #4  
On my little BX, I suppose a third function control. But it has saved me money as I would surely have dropped some coin for a grapple by now.

/ What "extras" do you regret when buying nee #5  
At least twice as many HP. My tractor does everything I need but sometime it strugles. I think I should have bought at least 60 or better 80 HP machine. But then all implements would cost proportionally more also.

I'm in full agreement with you but have found this to be true no matter how "big" you go :thumbsup:
This also applies to trucks, chainsaws, attachments, 4 wheelers, dozers, excavators.................:laughing:

/ What "extras" do you regret when buying nee #6  
When considering "extras", I mainly look at items that are a factory installed option. Dealer added options can be added at anytime. Sure they may cost more to be added after the initial purchase, but sometimes I find I really didn't have a need for what I first thought and it saved me money or I found a better "after market" option.

There is no such thing as the perfect tractor. As time goes on our needs and wants change along with it.

/ What "extras" do you regret when buying nee #7  
A rear blade, and a box blade. Just the box blade was enough.

/ What "extras" do you regret when buying nee #8  
I'm glad I got the 2 rear remotes, and had my tires filled with Rimguard. And I'm SUPER glad I got the cab with heat and air conditioning. Along with the box blade and brush hog, I wish I would have just ordered the quick attach pallet forks, instead of the clamp on bucket forks. My next 2 3-pt attachments will be a rear tiller, and a rear snow blower. Probably in that order.

/ What "extras" do you regret when buying nee #9  
I regret buying an HST. I know that most people love them but I found the shuttle shift to be a lot easier doing things such as plowing snow or stacking logs.
This was meant to be my last tractor; I'm already looking at it's replacement down the road.
"Options" that would have been a deal breaker if it didn't have them;

SSA loader
Third function hydraulics (on front)
Live PTO (Which is why I didn't get the geared tractor which I wanted.)
R1 tires. Apparently these are default as the R4's are more expensive.

It also came with a set of rear chains, which I would otherwise had to buy separately;
as well as a canopy which I may or may not have added later.

Options which were deal breakers if they did have them;
Full, permanent Cab. (Although I may steal my father's old Curtis, which he used to take off in spring and put on in the fall.)
Loaded tires.

Option which I regret not getting, and will be adding; Cruse control kit.

Edit; I also am considering a temperature gauge for the transmission. I work it rather hard when plowing, and don't need a major repair bill.

/ What "extras" do you regret when buying nee
I regret buying an HST. I know that most people love them but I found the shuttle shift to be a lot easier doing things such as plowing snow or stacking logs.
This was meant to be my last tractor; I'm already looking at it's replacement down the road.
"Options" that would have been a deal breaker if it didn't have them;

SSA loader
Third function hydraulics (on front)
Live PTO (Which is why I didn't get the geared tractor which I wanted.)
R1 tires. Apparently these are default as the R4's are more expensive.

It also came with a set of rear chains, which I would otherwise had to buy separately;
as well as a canopy which I may or may not have added later.

Options which were deal breakers if they did have them;
Full, permanent Cab. (Although I may steal my father's old Curtis, which he used to take off in spring and put on in the fall.)
Loaded tires.

Option which I regret not getting, and will be adding; Cruse control kit.

Interesting about hydro. Was convinced that's what I wanted. Spent half hour driving both hydro and shuttle at dealers yesterday. Decided on shuttle. I've got 40+ years experience with clutch, etc. Zero with hydro. Shuttle and clutch just felt like I had more precise control over the tractor. Decision made to go with shuttle!