What glue should I use to repair my New Holland hood?

/ What glue should I use to repair my New Holland hood? #31  
Seems the lack of comprehension of what is written versus what is interpreted from reading is often a issue :)

/ What glue should I use to repair my New Holland hood? #32  
I would ask where I complained? Because I said building a tractor out of plastic seemed like a bad idea? Am I wrong?

It's been a very good tractor other than the durability of the body parts. It seems most modern tractors are plastic now, I'm sure to save the manufacturer money.

My question would be why are some of you guys being such judgmental jerks? I'm not blaming anyone but me for the damage and I just wanted advice on what might be the best adhesive to fix it. I even said in the very first post I should have had a grill guard, I didn't think about adding one until I broke this. I'm sure I'm not the only one to have learned something the hard way, if you never have then good for you.

Thanks for your useful and informative suggestions. Oh wait, you didn't have any of those, just pointless criticism.

Exactly. Couldn't agree more. Why do people post when they have nothing of value to add?

/ What glue should I use to repair my New Holland hood? #33  
Exactly. Couldn't agree more. Why do people post when they have nothing of value to add?
I don't have much to add here either... :D

/ What glue should I use to repair my New Holland hood? #34  
I would ask.... since you know plastic it not as strong as steel, why did you buy a plastic tractor, beat the heck out of it and come here to complain?

He didn't. He bought a tractor that has some plastic components which were broken doing a job. He asked what to use to repair the damage, expressing surprise that a manufacturer would chose plastic for the parts he broke.
I would ask, why did YOU come here to bash the OP for posting a valid question about something he wants to repair? DUH?
Either contribute something worthwhile or go elsewhere.

I was going to suggest using 3M type tape adhesive products, possibly even in conjunction with your rivets and washers solution. You know, band-aids and suspenders....

Last edited:
   / What glue should I use to repair my New Holland hood? #35  
If you have enough surface at the junctions you might consider windshield adhesive as that makes a really good bonding.
All it wants is squeaky clean surfaces to adhere to.

I have used a polyurethane all weather caulking for similar adhesion problems.

/ What glue should I use to repair my New Holland hood? #36  
I used Methacrylate gel (Loctite brand) to fix a broken tab on my Kubota hood. As pillion mentioned, you need super clean and well fitting joints.

/ What glue should I use to repair my New Holland hood? #37  
I was going to suggest using 3M type tape adhesive products, possibly even in conjunction with your rivets and washers solution. You know, band-aids and suspenders....

That sounds like a good addition for the repair, is like that Flex all water proof tape advertised on tv?

/ What glue should I use to repair my New Holland hood? #38  
That sounds like a good addition for the repair, is like that Flex all water proof tape advertised on tv?

It's the stuff that is double sided and sticks like never wanting to come apart. It works extremely well, when adhered correctly.

/ What glue should I use to repair my New Holland hood? #39  
Well, ruling out plastic and composites as building materials pretty much takes you back to the early industrial age... I don't know the exact choice of materials NH made on theirs, but it's not unusual or unheard of. Large impacts will bend or break metal the same as composites. Small impacts will leave a scratch on either. Medium sized ones and you get dents in the metal, but on the plastic it may crack, or it may flew back. The material type, the ambient temperature its at, and the amount of UV degradation its suffered will determine the damage.
The beauty of plastic is the source of the frustration in repair: they are typically inert and non-reactive with other compounds one set and cured.
Epoxies are usually the recommendation for mending cracks in composites you can't get a specific solvent or glue with. Some can be welded back together.
If I couldn't weld it, I'd rough up 1.5 inches from either side of the crack, "v" out both sides of the crack, drill 1/8" "zipper holes" through the hood 3/8" either side of the crack, strip of woven glass or carbon fiber bedded in. Epoxy the inside leaving resin proud to the opposite side. once cured, flip over, sand the proud areas down, repeat for the "finished side". Ugly but functional.
Won't look like new--welding is best option of all...

/ What glue should I use to repair my New Holland hood? #40  
Why New Holland thought that plastic was the right material to use for the body parts on the TC series tractors will always be a mystery to me but, they did. I guess I should have put a grill guard on mine before using it to load the dump truck but, I didn't and the hood made contact with the truck a few times and came apart. I'm not really sure what my best adhesive option is going to be to get this thing back together, it looks like whatever they used originally created a solvent weld because chunks of the mated piece came out where it broke apart. I'm thinking maybe hit the bonding surfaces with some 40 grit sandpaper to rough it up and use an epoxy but, I don't know if there might be a better option so, I'm asking first. I've got to wait a week or so for the right side headlight bracket to get here anyway so I've got time to do this right instead of twice.

So, what would you use?

I have a New Holland TC 45 tractor and the fenders are known to crack on these models. We glued them back together and they are holding for now, but if the glue doesn't hold, I will try the method in this video. This might work for your situation.

ATV Plastic Repair for Mortals - YouTube