What have you done to your Branson today?

/ What have you done to your Branson today? #1,221  
Well no pictures but, Saturday put the rear chains on and plowed about 4" snow Monday.
Then today mounted up the front chains also, then made a couple of passes down the driveway to clean up the snow pack from the first storm. Depending on the forecaster may get freezing rain mixed with wet snow, or just heavy wet snow 2-4" or 8-12".
So front chains on in case I need to use the sander later in the week, get a couple of tons pushing me on my hill I like to be well anchored.

/ What have you done to your Branson today? #1,222  
We got a bunch of sleet-ice-rain on Tuesday. It rained (sleeted) all day, got about an inch of "rain" before it changed to snow on Tuesday evening.

Since then, we've had about 18" of heavy, wet snow. But it's really the bottom layer of ice that is causing havoc.

The storm was originally forcasted to be over by this morning (thursday), however NWS changed it until tomorrow morning (friday).

Now for my scrapbook of shame picture.

I was using my new snowblower yesterday and did 2 really stupid things.

The first one was rotating the chute in the same direction for more than 360 degrees. The chute can spin that way no problem. However, the hydraulic lines going to the deflector control prevents it. And, yup, I "cable wrapped" (old AFSATCOM term) the hydraulic lines. I heard a pop and the chute stopped rotating. Thinking the worst (because it's me), I pulled it into the heated garage to look things over. To my surprise, damage was minimal, the hoses came loose from their anchor stay and the hydraulic gear box that spins the chute was pushed back on it's mounting bolts far enough that the ring gear on the chute no longer made contact with the drive gear on the hydraulic gear box.

The fix for that one was simple and I was amazed at how lucky I was not to damage anything else (other than putting a serious fray on the outer layer on my hydraulic hoses (no leaks though).

After getting back in action, one of the last places to blow snow was my back yard. I like to clear a path for the dogs to run and play (involves playing catch with a ball that they lose in the snow).

So I'm clearing a path of snow up to my 10' backyard gate, and I did the eternally stupid thing of getting to close to my gate. The ice breaker tab on the main auger grabbed the chain link fence portion of one half of my gate. I'll tell you, it snatched that fence panel out of the gate frame faster than you could blink and eye. Like yanking the table cloth off of a table and leaving the plates on the table. The frame of the gate is still fine, but that fence panel in the gate did not fair so well.

I shut the pto off as soon as I saw it go, but obviously it was too late to save the gate.

Back to the heated garage I go (again) and took me about an hour to cut the fence material out of my auger. Using my air powered cut off grinder I was able to cut it all out.

The aftermath:

20221214_131457.jpg

20221214_140018.jpg

I've only got a couple of hours on this new blower, but so far, I'm a menace to all on this thing.

I'm kind of surprised it didn't pop a shear pin. After it was all pulled out, the blower ran fine again. This blower so far has been "me tough", which has been fortunate.

/ What have you done to your Branson today? #1,223  
…Depending on the forecaster may get freezing rain mixed with wet snow, or just heavy wet snow 2-4" or 8-12".

Ha, ha. That’s a typical upper Hudson Valley forecast!
Don’t forget that “all of the above” is also a possible answer.

/ What have you done to your Branson today? #1,224  
Ha, ha. That’s a typical upper Hudson Valley forecast!
Don’t forget that “all of the above” is also a possible answer.
That it is. I'm a bit disappointed that my normal salted sand guy didn't get me a delivery this fall.
Looks like I have enough in reserve for 5-7 driveway sandings, so it may be an interesting winter.
Hopefully we get a dry spell and it all burns off the driveway and I can get a load delivered ( no trucks without chains when snow or ice is present on my hill ).
Are you all set for the "big" storm?

/ What have you done to your Branson today? #1,225  
That it is. I'm a bit disappointed that my normal salted sand guy didn't get me a delivery this fall.
Looks like I have enough in reserve for 5-7 driveway sandings, so it may be an interesting winter.
Hopefully we get a dry spell and it all burns off the driveway and I can get a load delivered ( no trucks without chains when snow or ice is present on my hill ).
Are you all set for the "big" storm?

Well, ready or not…
I’ve used my driveway tools: An 18hp lawn tractor with snowblower, and it’s back up ( an ATV w/ plow for slush) each once this winter.
Just put the 8’ blade on the back of my tractor last night for cleaning a path to and around the barn that we don’t bother with if snow is less than 6”-8”. We’ll see what this storm brings. ??

/ What have you done to your Branson today? #1,226  
Looks like we both have logged on at lunch time today.
Not much snow accumulation here yet and what was on the ground is pretty soggy right now.
I haven't checked but I will not be surprised if the rain last night has pulled the frost out of the driveway,
that's so it can be mess for plowing.

/ What have you done to your Branson today? #1,227  
No pics today, so didn't put this in the picture thread,

Had to bring a new tote of wood into the garage. That entailed pulling out a bunch of stuff, including my car trailer to get to the wood totes. The side door on my shop (where the totes are) is a slider, which is useless for us here in winter. So pulled a bunch of stuff out of the shop building to get to the wood totes to carry one out the front roll up door.

Had the release pins freeze up on my SSQA release, so couldn't switch from my bucket to my forks in the couple minutes it normally takes. Had to hunt down my propane torch and heat up the release latches and pins on both sides of my FEL to get it to let go of the bucket. Got them freed up and thought "good to go", until I was done and wanted to put the bucket back on, then, yup, had to do it again. I'm going to have to bring the tractor into the garage where I can sit and clean out those latches properly, get them clean, dry and maybe a touch of lube on them.

/ What have you done to your Branson today? #1,228  
I quit lubing mine every time I did it just collected a good mess of dirt and grit. Often I end up giving them a shot of penetrating lube and a wack upward with a hammer from the bottom, they work good then,

/ What have you done to your Branson today? #1,229  
No pictures either but used the hydraulic winch on my tractor to pull my excavator out of a sketchy spot on an embankment.... twice. 😅

/ What have you done to your Branson today? #1,230  
Today I am digging a hole with my post hole digger and burying a 6" post to mount my new mailbox. My old mailbox was flattened to a useless condition by a State Hwy Dept's snowplow throwing slush against it as they go by plowing at 40 mph. It has been deformed several times over the last few years, but this last time they really nailed it but good! I had to get permission from the Postmaster to relocate it off the road. He approved, now I just gotta go do it.