What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #11  
I am getting the tire chains ready but dont need them just yet. ground still not frozen. Otherwise its ready for the winter onslaught. I may install a heater because my feet get soooo cold. I also did buy one of those milwaukee m12 heated sweath jackets to help because my cab doesnt have a heater. At least im out of the wind and snow.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY
I am getting the tire chains ready but dont need them just yet. ground still not frozen. Otherwise its ready for the winter onslaught. I may install a heater because my feet get soooo cold. I also did buy one of those milwaukee m12 heated sweath jackets to help because my cab doesnt have a heater. At least im out of the wind and snow.

Just gave my 10 year old tire chains to a neighbor with an orange tractor and purchased these for the rear tires
( Amazon.com: TireChain.com 26x12-12, 26 12 12 ATV UTV Stud Tire Chains, Spider Tightners: Automotive ).

Made up a front set last year from my old power wagon chains (larger chains do not hide in between the lugs.

My cab heater does not put out the heat like when it was new (and I change the anti-freeze out every year).

Also just purchased one of those M12 Milwaukee heated jackets with the heated pockets for this winter (realtree camo) and still waiting for my free battery. I really like it.

It's snowing and 20 degrees out, since October we had a couple of spells of -10 degrees and the creek has gone to frozen to half thawed and back to frozen again.

KC

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #13  
Just gave my 10 year old tire chains to a neighbor with an orange tractor and purchased these for the rear tires
( Amazon.com: TireChain.com 26x12-12, 26 12 12 ATV UTV Stud Tire Chains, Spider Tightners: Automotive ).

Made up a front set last year from my old power wagon chains (larger chains do not hide in between the lugs.

My cab heater does not put out the heat like when it was new (and I change the anti-freeze out every year).

Also just purchased one of those M12 Milwaukee heated jackets with the heated pockets for this winter (realtree camo) and still waiting for my free battery. I really like it.

It's snowing and 20 degrees out, since October we had a couple of spells of -10 degrees and the creek has gone to frozen to half thawed and back to frozen again.

KC

What they have one with heated pockets now to? Mine only heats up around the chest area....

What they have one with heated pockets now to? Mine only heats up around the chest area....

Yes, I just purchased my jacket a couple of weeks ago.

Heats the chest front and rear with a control button Hi, Med, Lo.

The pockets heat up with another control button, Hi, Med, Lo.

Maybe it's new this year heating the pockets, but I think it's not available for all items?

KC

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #15  
Today, I plugged the block heater in. This after I went out to start it, first chilly day 0ºC/32ºF and after three attempts using glow plugs every time, the battery was low. Charged the battery, plugged the block heater in and it started fine a couple hours later. This is the first small diesel I've had and I don't know yet what it will take to make it go in cold temps. Since it has the heater, might as well just use it.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #16  
I don’t know your experience level, so please don't take this as demeaning.
I would allow a minimum of 2 hours (4 would be better) for a block heater to achieve meaningful warmth.
I am using a device ($20) that works off of my wifi and turns an outlet on or off. I plug the device into a live outlet, then connect the heater cord into the device (made by WiOn).
I can turn the heater on from my bed (or from across the country, if I want).

Edit: needs wifi signal at the outlet, and a smart phone. Disregard if you are missing either of these.
Another edit: the battery tender is a great idea in super cold weather.

Today, I plugged the block heater in. This after I went out to start it, first chilly day 0ºC/32ºF and after three attempts using glow plugs every time, the battery was low. Charged the battery, plugged the block heater in and it started fine a couple hours later. This is the first small diesel I've had and I don't know yet what it will take to make it go in cold temps. Since it has the heater, might as well just use it.

I have used a battery tender charger for about 2 years now and I believe it is very useful in having the battery at 100% when starting the tractor at -40F, and the best useful tool is the MF block heater.

My tractor is stored in an unheated garage sometimes at -10F inside + - , and the longest I have used the block heater is about an hour.

In cold weather starting of these types of tractors as I have learned from ray66 is to open up the throttle more, sometimes I start the tractor at half throttle and reduce the RPM after starting.

Last year I changed out the battery as a precautionary change out, the original battery had plenty of life left but extreme cold climates always zap the cold cranking amps down.

It's 18F on the back deck right now and starting to snow again, last night winds killed another spruce/fir tree, the 2nd tree this fall, oh well, future firewood.

Have to swap out tires this morning for the studded snow tires, usually have this done a few weeks ago.

KC

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #18  
Yep, word up on having a fresh battery in cold weather! I got battery tenders on everything not running regularly. I pull the battery on the garden tractor parked in the shed (no power there), have the battery in the garage on a tender. My massey tractor and toyota van are both in the garage on battery tenders as well, both have quick connect terminals installed.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #19  
..Last year I changed out the battery as a precautionary change out, the original battery had plenty of life left but extreme cold climates always zap the cold cranking amps down.

I don't have a lot of experience with block heaters - I mean, on a vehicle you simply plug them in overnight. On this tractor, as it came from up north, the previous owner installed the block heater. It almost never gets cold enough here to need one on a road vehicle, but when I had my RAM 3500/Cummins 12 valve I did use the block heater in colder weather. As mentioned, I've never owner a small diesel.

However, the battery looks like the original, which makes it 10 years old. It tested in warmer weather as being fine, but at this age, it's definitely on borrowed time. I will be testing the start today with the heater plugged in, and if there is still a problem, I will look at a new battery.

I don't want a no-start during a big snow. I have a charger with a 75A start circuit, so I should be covered, but it is time for a fresh battery.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #20  
Today I think I will put some Summit Racing stickers on :) Yesterday moved some more wood around to my splitting area. I always have battery tenders on the tractors, never know when you will need to do a snow or clearing run!