What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,671  
They make small heating cables for soil. I have used them to grow lettuce outside in my hot box, all winter.

I bet it would be great if you wrapped your throttle cable, or for those who have tach cable issues, and used it to thaw them out??

Not hot enough to cause any issues, but enough heat to do the job.

This is the the I'm referring to: Home - Greenhouse Kits, Commercial & Hobby Greenhouses and Hydroponic Systems from Growers Supply

They sell them at better garden centers too.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,672  
They make small heating cables for soil. I have used them to grow lettuce outside in my hot box, all winter.

I bet it would be great if you wrapped your throttle cable, or for those who have tach cable issues, and used it to thaw them out??

Not hot enough to cause any issues, but enough heat to do the job.

This is the the I'm referring to: Home - Greenhouse Kits, Commercial & Hobby Greenhouses and Hydroponic Systems from Growers Supply

They sell them at better garden centers too.
good idea, that particular item prob too thick.
could prob use 14 inches (total cable length is apprx 5ft) of mobile home heater tape on the first critical 12 inches as that is thin can easily be cut and trimmed. plus the plug converts to 12V on many brands.
never thought about that.
prob gonna do some heat tape to neighbors soon so.....maybe I can try this.
could bring cord end out right beside my battery maintainer and block heater plugs. would not have to use often but.....could save my butt.
cheaper than building a garage for the thing.
hmm.....gonna ponder on some stuff today.
really this is a VERY good idea.

on the tach end, not so much a cable issue in 5 deg weather as it is a "disc" issue in tach itself for me. I put cardboard over the hood grill/intake on the GC2400 (about 3 inches front of dash) so eng fan draws less from that and more from eng compartment and that helps ME a lot.

Last edited:
   / What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,673  
8-12 inches due over next day.
blower customers making sure areas I staked out in November are clear.
pto driven blower can toss debris thru a window in a second.
been there done that, put a small kids sled into a living room last year.
8 blower customers gonna make sure lanes are clear.

Last edited:
   / What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,674  
We're supposed to get a 36 hour event starting this evening as well. Local weather man says 6 to 10, National weather service says 12+. I generally trust NWS more than local news. Not really looking forward to the next 2 days myself. It's not really the fact that I have to move snow, it's the fact that I'll need to be out of bed a 4:40 AM on Friday and Saturday to move it.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,675  
We're supposed to get a 36 hour event starting this evening as well. Local weather man says 6 to 10, National weather service says 12+. I generally trust NWS more than local news. Not really looking forward to the next 2 days myself. It's not really the fact that I have to move snow, it's the fact that I'll need to be out of bed a 4:40 AM on Friday and Saturday to move it.
benefit of being "old". I clear stuff when I want to and nobody cares or gives me crap :)
I do crap when I want to. but they all get a good deal price wise.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,676  
benefit of being "old". I clear stuff when I want to and nobody cares or gives me crap :)
I do crap when I want to. but they all get a good deal price wise.
I wish, I still work, but I work from home. There are two other people in the house that have to get out to work every day. There could be a snow day tomorrow and I could sleep in an little later (wife works for school) but I've generally got the driveway clear before they decide to close the schools. Someday I'll be able to just wait till it's over, which is my preferred option.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,677  
I wish, I still work, but I work from home. There are two other people in the house that have to get out to work every day. There could be a snow day tomorrow and I could sleep in an little later (wife works for school) but I've generally got the driveway clear before they decide to close the schools. Someday I'll be able to just wait till it's over, which is my preferred option.
LOL sounds like you got it covered for those that matter. in the end thats what matters. it aint often I get to play the disabled vet card BUT in winter, and where I clear snow for 20$ a drive, I play it often ;)

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,678  
I hear you guys! Wife and I are both retired. Used to be I could just sit and watch it fall, then clean up on MY schedule... but then the "boomerang kids generation" came back. Fortunately, daughter can work from home and her kid has a snow day today so I can take it easy for a while, at least. They're talking 8-10" hereabouts.

So far, at least, it's all snow, no "wintry mix" stuff.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,679  
As predicted, I got up at 4:30 and I had the snow cleared up before they announced the school was closed. At least I can wait till tomorrow when it's over to do it again instead of going back out this afternoon.

I do one other driveway, my wife's aunt is down the street a bit, very small driveway. The deal there is that I only do her driveway when I'm already out doing mine. I do it for free because I burn more diesel starting and warming my tractor than I burn doing her driveway, unlike the 2 hours or run time it takes me to do mine.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,680  
just did a few driveway openings, about 6" wet cement right now. will go back out when it ends tomorrow. but for now access on everthing is open and safe.
did touch my 80ft driveway, usually thats always done last.