What if....?

/ What if....? #61  
I use a L2501DT for my 16 acres. It is too large for some jobs, too small for others. I think that means it is just right for me. Without a tractor, I could not quickly take care of critical situations when they arise. Outside of that, I could not deal with waiting to get on someone's calendar, dealing with no shows, getting billed for full services when partial services were delivered, damage done to my property, and the general incompetence of hired help. If my tractor broke today, I would be in a Kubota dealership tomorrow.

/ What if....? #62  
I mulled over the possibility of selling my tractor and maybe implements and just hire out jobs as I need. I bought a L3301 back in 2019 and in two years after I sold it I put 100 hrs on it. Most of that 100 hrs was making a walking trail through my woods.

I then upgraded to an MX5400 and have 11 hrs on it since I bought it in late May of 2021. I bought it new and have 6 yr note that I pay $500/mo. I also have a heavy duty rotary cutter, box blade and grapple (from EA) that is paid off.

Most of the low hrs was due to a lot of rain during May and part of June.

However I started thinking of why I need this tractor. I used it for grading the driveway once a year. I used it to pick up a downed tree every now and then. I use it to mow in certain areas of my property and thin out scrub around the trees.

I did have a few very large branches that blocked the driveway that I was easily able to lift with the tractor and bring to the burn pile. That was nice although I could have used a chainsaw to cut the branches into manageable pieces to haul off with my side by side.

I could hire someone once a year to grade the driveway. I know there are people on Craigslist that will hire out themselves with a tractor for $75/hr.

What's your opinion?
I had this same dilemma early on with my first tractor. You mentioned that you have trails in the woods, so you have some land. There are always more things you can do with it if you wanted to. Some new clearings in the woods for food/wildlife plots? A couple of wildlife scrapes (watering holes). A new road system to new areas of the land. Just some thoughts. I'd say if you can swing the payment to keep it, because having it when you need it is worth a price too. We've had big trees fall across our driveway that I was able to just push off with my tractor so my wife could get out to work. Without the machine those kinds of things are a lot of back labor. Best wishes, thanks. Kapper

/ What if....? #63  
I made a similar calculation when I bought my property. Not 40 acres of woods, but bigger and rougher than my little garden tractor/lawn mower could handle. I found than hiring someone with a brush hog ran about $250 per cut and it needed cutting at least three times per year, although 5 would be better to keep the giant ragweed under control. Even at 5 times a year it would be much cheaper than buying a tractor and cutter.

Then I meet reality face to face. The folks hiring out were busy and often did not show up for weeks after I called them. Several times their equipment was down or they had only a smaller unit to work with and my small property was low priority or the weeds too big for the available tractor and I had to wait.
The straw that broke the proverbial camel’s back was when the mower chewed me out for waiting until the ragweed was higher than their tractor cab when it took them 4 weeks after my call to show up.

I bought my L3700 in 2010 and now mow when I feel like it and never have to wait on anyone. I don’t have to listen to them whine about how high it is, how hot it is, how hard it is, how they could be making more money on another job or any of their other complaints. In addition to the plain Jane mowing I had calculated, I have used my tractor to cut back heavy thickets and cut trails through my woods, built driveways and parking pads, pulled trees and moved dead falls, dug trenches, plowed small planting areas, spread gravel, dug holes for tree planting and hauled trailers across terrain unsuitable for my truck. The extras would have cost me more than the whole mowing budget I had planned for so my 16 year breakeven was reduced to less than 5 when the extra work was included.

Turns out this was the most cost effective “splurge” I ever did.

/ What if....? #64  
I have to agree with the better to have and not need than to need and not have. The ease of making a last minute decision to do tractor work and having the tractor readily available is huge. With renting, you would have to plan ahead and hope that the weather will work out.

Say you rent a tractor 2 weeks from now since you are on vacation and the weather turns to crap and any work done with that tractor would just damage the land and cause more work. Whereas, when you own your tractor and weekend plans were cancelled last minute, you can jump right outside and get to work.

For me, its convenience and it is easier to always have the tool's available at a moments notice. I am younger but still adding equipment to my arsenal so that I won't have to rent anything. The mini ex I rented earlier this year (1st time renting) was just under $300 for 8 hours including delivery and pick up. They dropped it off on a Saturday and picked it up on Monday morning. Currently I am keeping an eye out for a 3pt hitch backhoe or an older (60's,70's etc)TLB. Trying to stay under a certain amount of $$ right now.

/ What if....? #65  
I have to agree with the better to have and not need than to need and not have. The ease of making a last minute decision to do tractor work and having the tractor readily available is huge. With renting, you would have to plan ahead and hope that the weather will work out.

Say you rent a tractor 2 weeks from now since you are on vacation and the weather turns to crap and any work done with that tractor would just damage the land and cause more work. Whereas, when you own your tractor and weekend plans were cancelled last minute, you can jump right outside and get to work.

For me, its convenience and it is easier to always have the tool's available at a moments notice. I am younger but still adding equipment to my arsenal so that I won't have to rent anything. The mini ex I rented earlier this year (1st time renting) was just under $300 for 8 hours including delivery and pick up. They dropped it off on a Saturday and picked it up on Monday morning. Currently I am keeping an eye out for a 3pt hitch backhoe or an older (60's,70's etc)TLB. Trying to stay under a certain amount of $$ right now.
Forget the idea of a 3pt. hitch backhoe, unless you want to destroy/crack the rear end of a conventional tractor.
Be careful about limiting your budget too much.
You might buy a piece of machinery cheaply that will eat your lunch in repairs.

Used equipment is often a real crap shoot.
Pay a tractor mechanic to evaluate any used equipment that you may be interested in BEFORE you buy!
Avoid purchase of any and all rental equipment!

/ What if....? #66  
I can afford the payment. Just thinking out loud and wondering if other members have went through this same thought process.
My $0.02 worth, when I have a storm that takes down limbs larger than I can drag by hand off the drive to get out and then back in, do do lots of other folks. I have been told a few days at times before they would get to me. So if you need work done quickly, you need to keep your current tractor.

/ What if....? #67  
Forget the idea of a 3pt. hitch backhoe, unless you want to destroy/crack the rear end of a conventional tractor.
Be careful about limiting your budget too much.
You might buy a piece of machinery cheaply that will eat your lunch in repairs.

Used equipment is often a real crap shoot.
Pay a tractor mechanic to evaluate any used equipment that you may be interested in BEFORE you buy!
Avoid purchase of any and all rental equipment!
I usually get my stuff from auctions. I'll take that risk as it is the option that works best for me right now.

While I have heard many warnings of 3pt hitch backhoes damaging tractors. I believe if used properly everything would be good. If I'm willing to spend 6k on a new woodmax backhoe, then I'd also be willing to almost spend that much on a decent TLB. There are a few on craigslist in my area close to 6k but they just dont feel right. It took me 3 years of constant looking to even purchase my 1st tractor from an auction.

/ What if....? #69  
Here's my .02 if you have acreage you need a tractor, I have a Mahindra 4035, and use the bucket all the time to "tote" stuff, especially firewood. That being said there are times I hire things done. I bought 2.5 acres that butted up to our 10. It was so thick, and full of Honey Locust thorn trees, you couldn't even walk through it. Could I have cleared it with my tractor, sure; but it would have taken me 2 weeks and would have whipped the piss out of my tractor. So I call my excavator guy and for $100 an hour he came in with a Bobcat with a front mounted shredder and leveled everything in 4 hours. Money well spent in my opinion. If things ever dry out in Michigan I'm having him come back out with his dozer to finish the clean-up and shove a huge pile of brush from under an Oak tree, so it doesn't scorch it when I burn it this winter. We are having a big problem with Oak Wilt around here.

/ What if....? #70  
If you have time, maybe you can rent out yourself and/or tractor to service others needs. Gets you more experience and recoup some of the monthly payment. Food for thought 🍴🍝🍿