What Is The 960 PTO Used For.

/ What Is The 960 PTO Used For.
One word can answer your question the 960 setting on your tractor is for the mid pto for a BELLYMOWER

Well my B2920 has the MMM at 2500. Here is what I see.
Al 20150213_192247.jpg

Al

/ What Is The 960 PTO Used For. #32  
I was told by my dealer representative that I could run my brush hog in the 960 position and have the tractor at a lower rpm that would still maintain the 540 output. There is a mark on the rpm gauge to support this theory.

/ What Is The 960 PTO Used For. #33  
Many of the grey market tractors and some of the current Korean built machines also have the option of multi-speed PTO without changing out the shaft. We have seen toasted gearboxes on rotary mowers because they mow so well when you over-speed them 50% or so. But it does ruin the gearbox often, and I imagine the blades and bolts and such aren't designed for those sort of forces. Yes there is surely some safety margin built into the implement, but I'm not sure how much.

Using that faster speed on a multi-speed PTO as an economy range seems like a good idea in the case of the OP situation, light snow blowing. Or light mowing, where you have plenty of power at 1500rpm or whatever RPM is correct. But it would be so tempting to run it up higher and blow the snow to the next town...I'm not sure I could resist...one must be careful.

/ What Is The 960 PTO Used For. #34  
Many years ago I had a small Bota. Bought a 5' blower from a guy who had used it on a 60hp Massey until it almost vibrated itself to death. I rebuilt it and used it on the Bota with the high and low speed PTO. Didnt take many hours of use before I could judge which PTO gearing to pick depending on snow conditions. With a few inches of light snow I could travel down my drive at 1000 RPM and still move the snow off the road

/ What Is The 960 PTO Used For.
Well as I wanted to try the 960 PTO on the blower in light snow. I got my chance the other day.
It would work but it didn't feel right. I was at 1300 RPM and the tractor was still lugging down in sound not on in RPM. It was not heavy snow.
Something just didn't seem right.
You know the feeling when all the gauges look good but something sounds wrong. That was the feeling.

Al

/ What Is The 960 PTO Used For. #36  
Well as I wanted to try the 960 PTO on the blower in light snow. I got my chance the other day.
It would work but it didn't feel right. I was at 1300 RPM and the tractor was still lugging down in sound not on in RPM. It was not heavy snow.
Something just didn't seem right.
You know the feeling when all the gauges look good but something sounds wrong. That was the feeling.

Al
Your engine rpm were too low so you had no HP. You need to overspeed the thrower a bit to make your engine happy. I always try to use all engine torque when throwing snow. No point in wasting time.

/ What Is The 960 PTO Used For. #37  
Hi range PTORPM is good when using a power brush on light snow. Lets you have hi brush speed while allowing a more adjustable range of ground speed on a gear tractor.
larry

/ What Is The 960 PTO Used For. #38  
I run snowblower @ 970 PTO. My B7100d at nearly full throttle, prolly 2100 RPM ( no tach, UC) Snow does not stick in the chuted that way. The 3 cyl diesel can handle deep wet snow, even compacted snow, if the tranny is in low reverse. Darn good lil tractor. Not so good a lil driver. He dunno squat.:dance1:

/ What Is The 960 PTO Used For. #39  
It has been a while since I've been around ag tractors. I thought the 540 rpm and 1000 rpm were different physically. The 540 has 6 spines and the 1000 rpm had like 20 small splines. I recall the size was similar and in college I learned that the same physical sized material could transmit more power by spinning faster, hence the higher hp rigs would have the 1000 rpm.

So is this 3rd one (1000 small?) be a physical 540 hook up, but then allow you to run at 1/2 throttle to achieve the 540 rpm (and if you throttled up would over speed the implement)? (So isn't this the OP's question?)

On my Kubota ag tractors, 540 is 6 spline, 1000 is 21 spline. You never run a 340 implement at 1000 rpm. Thats a recipe for self destruction.

/ What Is The 960 PTO Used For. #40  
I agree with Larry...I run a 52" blower (A Meteor) at 940 PTO speed and the !7 Hp 3 cyl diesel engine at 2400 with the main tranny in Low Reverse for snow blowing, in any kind of snow because the blower does not clog at the higher RPM.
In very light snow I will run the tranny in HI Reverse just to cover the ground I am clearing more quickly. Lo reverse is a creeper and too slow, whereas high reverse is a bit too fast, so I reduce engine rpm to about 1700. IN hi reverse, the blower will bog the engine in three feet of snow at !!40 RPM PTO. I always use lo reverse at the driveway threshold to deal with the berm left by the highway plow, and for safety near the fast highway traffic The power of the lowest PTO speed is just not normally required and the chute will plug up often. Probably it would be required for running an AG roto tiller in heavy soil. The gearbox on the blower is happy with the higher RPM, because it is a Meteor blower.........:thumbsup: