What is the good Chainsaw for clearing?

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #41  
I gave up with 2 cycles. Even the local small engine and mower shop quit selling 2 cycles. Too unreliable. I was spending about 1/3 of my time fighting with the saw.

I use a palletized contractor generator and Oregon plug in electric saw. Dragging the cord would be a PITA if I was making firewood, but I'm just clearing land. I plan on eventually replacing the independent generator with a PTO driven generator.

Above is a mention of chaps and electric saws. The Oregon does stop the blade almost immediatly when you take your finger off of the trigger. The motor takes time to wind down, but the blade stops. Holding the trigger may cut through chaps though.

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #42  
I have 2 stihl saws. I have a 036, 20” bar that I bought in 2000, still starts every time I get it out, I have never done anything more than change spark plug and put gas and chain oil in it along with buying a new chain here and there. Have never ran into anything it won’t cut.

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #43  
As I posted before, I am clearing several lots, and need a good chainsaw to tackle the bigger trees and can grind them down afterward with a stump grinder. But you really cant find out much of anything out of the stores on what works for solid pine and oak that we have down here. What is a good Chainsaw that starts on the first pull, lightweight but powerful, and doesnt breakdown after a day or two of heavy cutting..?
I won't bother reading the other inputs, many good I'm sure. The answer is one word. Stihl. I have 5 gas engined Stihl products. Blower, shrub trimmer, pole saw, string trimmer/edger/universal head thing, etc. One is an old model 026 chain saw. Had it for at least 40 years. They last forever. Always maintainable. Parts readily available. Local expert service shop. Worn out I don't know how many chains, a few blades. etc. You simply cannot do better. Brand matters in my experience. There is solid reason why they dominate the market. Not that there aren't other good ones but none better.

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #44  
As I posted before, I am clearing several lots, and need a good chainsaw to tackle the bigger trees and can grind them down afterward with a stump grinder. But you really cant find out much of anything out of the stores on what works for solid pine and oak that we have down here. What is a good Chainsaw that starts on the first pull, lightweight but powerful, and doesnt breakdown after a day or two of heavy cutting..?
Stihl.

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #45  
one point not mentioned equally as important as name brand or displacement are 3 important words: ethanol free fuel. surprised just how many small engine owners (including mowers, etc) are not plugged into fuel quality. your choice to treat but i do.
i hear complaints all the time regarding poor reliability of 2 cycle engines. but they continue to use ethanol polluted fuel & wonder why no starts or carb problems after sitting a season.

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing?
one point not mentioned equally as important as name brand or displacement are 3 important words: ethanol free fuel. surprised just how many small engine owners (including mowers, etc) are not plugged into fuel quality. your choice to treat but i do.
i hear complaints all the time regarding poor reliability of 2 cycle engines. but they continue to use ethanol polluted fuel & wonder why no starts or carb problems after sitting a season.
The problems that ethanol causes for small engines is unbelievable. Had to throw away many of my small mowers and rebuild the carb on the bigger one, and it ruined the fuel meter on the SUV. Had to guess at my fuel level till got rid of it.

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #47  
I've owned 3 Stihl saws. First was a 250 great little saw. Second was a Farm Boss and it was a dog. Both were stolen out of my barn. I replaced the small saw with a 251. It's been in the shop 2-3 times. last time he just replaced the carburetor. I also needed a bigger saw so tried a Makita/Dolmer. That's a great saw. Only way I would buy another Stihl would be an older used one gently loved.

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #48  
OPE equipment has been mentioned, but learn the proper way to cut trees and how to use a chainsaw. Too many of us learned from just picking it up or watching someone else, bucking firewood is different from felling 30 inch trees.. There are some good books well worth the read and the US Firest Service has some great information online. I used a saw quite a bit before I realized I didn't know as much as I thought. Looking back I was lucky, also, chainsaw chaps save me from slicing up my leg one time when I was tired and not paying attention to how I was holding the saw. Good luck and be careful.

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing? #49  
The problems that ethanol causes for small engines is unbelievable.
luckily our local Cenex (Roseau MN) has a premium non ethanol pump option so that is all I run through my small engines, snowmobiles, wood processor, atv's, etc... :) the extra cost I think is well worth it.

I think it has made a big difference in lowering repairs over the years.

I highly recommend using the non ethanol suppliers for chain saws.

/ What is the good Chainsaw for clearing?
Like everything, electric saws have their place and will become more useful as the battery technology improves. They do seem VERY easy to use and maintain as long as you aren't clear-cutting a forest. I wear my chaps based on what I'm doing and how long I'll be doing it. I know that isn't smart, but I'm being honest. If it is going to be hours behind the saw and fatigue is going to be an issue or I need to move quickly (felling) they are on. If I just need to make a cut to clear a trail. I have a gas saw so I wouldn't replace it until it dies. Maybe by the time it does the batteries will be even better and they'll figure out how to solve the chap problem (or I'll be too damn old to be using a chainsaw).
Hmm, the Battery Powered electric chainsaws for DEWALT, and RYOBI, and STIHL looked good, the HUSQUARNA I still have to check on..