What is this Pin Called and Why is it Loose?

/ What is this Pin Called and Why is it Loose? #11  
That hitch pin is just fine...

SR

/ What is this Pin Called and Why is it Loose? #12  
Measure the narrow dimension of the clevis oval holes. Measure the tractor's drawbar hole diameter. Use a pin equal or next smaller than the smallest dimension you measured.

Bruce

/ What is this Pin Called and Why is it Loose? #13  
Your pin is good to go. Plenty big for this job and attachment.

/ What is this Pin Called and Why is it Loose? #14  
John Deere parts breakout calls it a Clevis Hitch. I looked at the parts diagram and you can see that the top and bottom of the hitch has an enlongated hole that are perpendicular to each other...

I guess I need to stay with the current hitch pin...
Thats interesting. Bet that Deere has at least applied for a patent on that.
I wonder about the purpose of the spherical shape on the lower tang of the casting.

Landpride has a different way of allowing float in both directions

/ What is this Pin Called and Why is it Loose? #15  
About the pin its self.

I like Speeco double locking hitch pins. Double Locking Hitch Pin, 79285 | Agri Supply

It is nearly impossible for tall weeds, corn stover and brush to unlock it. Much safer than using a hairpin to lock the hitch pin in place.

Last edited:
   / What is this Pin Called and Why is it Loose? #16  
I call it a lynch pin. Needs to be same size as hole in draw bar and ball joints. There should be a little clearance to allow install. Maybe 1/16".

/ What is this Pin Called and Why is it Loose? #17  
Pin in pic is too small.

I broke a 1” pin & stepped up to a 1-1/8” diameter pin.

i can’t stand loose or a sloppy fit.

/ What is this Pin Called and Why is it Loose? #18  
Pin in pic is too small.

I broke a 1” pin & stepped up to a 1-1/8” diameter pin.

i can’t stand loose or a sloppy fit.
The slop was on purpose, to give two degrees of freedom.

Your 1" pin may have been too big, and now with the larger diameter, something else will break. just sayin....

/ What is this Pin Called and Why is it Loose? #19  

Your 1" pin may have been too big, and now with the larger diameter, something else will break. just sayin....
I understand what your saying Beenthere you can go too big and about completely remove any movement between the pin ,clevis and drawbar which stresses the pin . That's not good. From picture though I'd say that 3/4 pin is like a hot dog in a hallway.

/ What is this Pin Called and Why is it Loose? #20  

You want proper size pin when your implements hitch swivels & pivots both directions