What just happened? B21 hydrostatic problem

/ What just happened? B21 hydrostatic problem #11  
   / What just happened? B21 hydrostatic problem
OK, all testing before was done in 4-wheel drive because I leave it there all the time and never thought to take it out. I lifted all wheels off the ground and the rear spin fine by hand, the left foot locker pedal works fine, the front spins freely too but when the 4-wheel drive system is engaged I could hear a small clunk while spinning by hand, and with the tractor still lifted and engine running I don't hear much noise in 2 or 4-wheel drive, so I lowered it back down and in low gear and 2 wheel drive it rolls a little and started pushing both front wheels then reverse a little and it would drag the front wheels, if I engage 4-wheel drive it rolls the front wheels but clunks/grinds every few feet?????

/ What just happened? B21 hydrostatic problem #13  
OK, all testing before was done in 4-wheel drive because I leave it there all the time and never thought to take it out. I lifted all wheels off the ground and the rear spin fine by hand, the left foot locker pedal works fine, the front spins freely too but when the 4-wheel drive system is engaged I could hear a small clunk while spinning by hand, and with the tractor still lifted and engine running I don't hear much noise in 2 or 4-wheel drive, so I lowered it back down and in low gear and 2 wheel drive it rolls a little and started pushing both front wheels then reverse a little and it would drag the front wheels, if I engage 4-wheel drive it rolls the front wheels but clunks/grinds every few feet?????
It sounds like the front drive parts may be severely worn from being left in 4wd - the gears could be worn enough to be on the verge of skipping - they may be locking when they get tip-to-tip and can't mesh.

Unfortunately shifting it out of 4wd may not stop the crunching at this point because the front wheels are still turning all their gears and shafts, even if the front driveshaft is disengaged in the transmission.

I hope I'm wrong - but better get it looked at before something grenades, taking your checkbook with it. Good luck, Dick B

Last edited: