what on earth does electricity cost near you?

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #641  
No argument but do you suppose average European on the street know how relatively cheap fuel is here, or low taxes we pay when compared to them?

Answer: They have no idea generally speaking.
No, I don't imagine they do. I've been to Ireland a number of times and while I love it there the prices amaze me. A pint of Guinness in the average pub costs the same as it does in the USA. And it's the cheapest thing on tap (another thing; they have the price per pint posted for all drinks. And a Pint is 16 oz, not the 10-12 oz glass America calls a pint).

We also looked at properties at the realtor (estate agent; land agent) and prices for small houses on small properties were very high. NO idea what their property tax might be like.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #642  
Just checked. Inland Power and Light - 8.42 cents per KWH.
My contract just expired so my rate went from $0.0607 to $0.0821, a 35% increase. And that's a good introductory rate at 7% off PPL rate. I shopped for rates and it's running about $0.010/KWH.

My home is ALL electric; heat (pump), well water and hot water. So my energy cost for 2022 just jumped 35%. Still beter than North Jersey where I moved from: The average New Jersey residential electricity rate was 16.16 ¢/kWh (14% higher than the national average).

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #643  
meter 001.jpg

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #644  
My contract just expired so my rate went from $0.0607 to $0.0821, a 35% increase. And that's a good introductory rate at 7% off PPL rate. I shopped for rates and it's running about $0.010/KWH.

My home is ALL electric; heat (pump), well water and hot water. So my energy cost for 2022 just jumped 35%. Still beter than North Jersey where I moved from: The average New Jersey residential electricity rate was 16.16 ¢/kWh (14% higher than the national average).
Hi Buggs67,

I grew up on a farm in Perry Cty - Elliottsburg in the 60s-70s and at that time the county didn't see many new houses but in the last 30 years its grown a lot!

I've been in NH for 40 years, and we have some of the highest electric rates outside of CA @ $.22/KWH and while the cost of electricity has not gone up, the stranded cost and delivery costs have risen drastically. Much of that is due to the free market to choose your electricity provider, so they raised the stranded and delivery costs, not the base rate so they stay competitive.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #645  
Interesting.

Our standard gas (petrol) is 10% Ethanol and usually is available in three grades: regular 87 octane, plus 91 octane and premium 93 octane. E85 which is 85% ethanol is available in some places (not around here) and is cheaper than regular and also less energy=less gas mileage/gal. But not all cars/trucks can use it.

Right now gas is about $3.73 reg, $4.03 plus and $4.33 premium. Diesel is about $4.28 but it is NOT bio and that includes road tax which is $0.995. Around here we can buy off road diesel at the pump and then they add on sales tax of 7%, so about $3.50ish.

You can do the G->L and $->€ calculations.

EDIT: I found a converter so $3.73 = 0.87 €/l and Diesel would be 1.0 €/l
Interesting indeed

I have lived old enough to remember here was pumps with even A 76 grade inside. To use that moonshine in our Moskvitch my old man put one more gasket between head and cylinder block. Thus reducing compression in cylinders. 🙃 ignition has to be adjusted either. Obviously power has been reduced, but that was ok, as then people wasn't rushing 😀
Now that is long gone. 30 years for sure.Probably you have noticed - E95 and E98 (often branded as "super") are only octane available here.

But as an owner of BMW motorrad I am reading few NA rider forums, and I have noticed that your folks made a lot of complaints about gas quality in US. IMHO in car you can't feel petrol quality difference so badly as you notice differences when riding (performance) motorcycle

Our gas now-days have ~ 10 % ethanol either. If that is for fast turnover, I don't mind. But for devices which have seasonal use that ethanol is pain in a$$. Especially if there is carburetor. That's why for snowblower and chainsaw I am buying special synthetic petrol. It is more pricey than e95, but that feeling when you simple fire-up saw with first pull after 6 months being silent is priceless. :cool:

As for shopping experience I can agree that often you will find a limited selection here.
And businesses are trying to cheat. OK, our system is metric and normally here was used decimal fractions. If we take butter as example. There was 200 gr, 500 gr and 1 kg cartons. Now those innovators have created 180 gr, 450 gr etc. Price of one carton remains the same, but now they are 10 - 15 % smaller
But US system to show prices without tax, imho is beyond crazy. Why would consumer need to know net price, if he have to pay full sum at counter ?

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #646  
Currently at my apartment I have a 230$ electric bill due for last month. That is extremely high compared to the 80$ I used to pay. The place is total electric. Heating and the water heater seem to take a lot of electric at my place.

I'm looking to buy a house. Trying to learn what's a good price for electric and what's a high price. My apartment is 900 square foot one level. Way too much to heat the place at 70ーF. I plan to use a combination at my house I am buying. Firewood is highly considered especially in a fireplace in a main room where the heat and flames can be enjoyed directly and the garage I would like to heat with wood to keep my tractor warm and be able to repair my own vehicles out of the -14ー outside temps.

Thanks,
Trent
My house is very similar in size to yours, electric hot water heater, electric kitchen stove, electric dryer which I rarely use, LP gas furnace that doesn’t get used much because I also have a wood furnace, wood heat feels great but there is absolutely nothing cheap about burning wood, the house is over 80 years old but in decent shape. Electricity cost where I live is about the highest cost in the entire state of Wisconsin so my total electric bill comes to about $800.00 per year roughly $67.00 per month. After hearing about all kinds of places having power outages that last for days i consider the electric service in my area excellent, back in about 1995 the electricity was off for nearly 24 hours once, but normally when it goes off which is pretty rare it’s only off for a couple hours or less.

Usually pretty careful about electricity use, one big waste I have is the 250 watt yard light which I am considering replacing with LED but not sure which one to get.

Last edited:
   / what on earth does electricity cost near you? #647  
Hi Buggs67,

I grew up on a farm in Perry Cty - Elliottsburg in the 60s-70s and at that time the county didn't see many new houses but in the last 30 years its grown a lot!

I've been in NH for 40 years, and we have some of the highest electric rates outside of CA @ $.22/KWH and while the cost of electricity has not gone up, the stranded cost and delivery costs have risen drastically. Much of that is due to the free market to choose your electricity provider, so they raised the stranded and delivery costs, not the base rate so they stay competitive.
My neighbor is a Dum and he's retired from dairy farming near Elloitsburg; on Shermans Valley Rd outside New Bloomfield. I moved to PA to get away from congestion and high prices. I had considered NH as I vacationed there every year during Bike Week. Beautiful, great riding and nice people. Loved driving the Kancamagus Highway. But winter is too long and it's too cold.

Electricity is still cheaper here than NJ. And my property taxes are 40% of what I used to pay. And it's nice and quiet.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #648  
My house is very similar in size to yours, electric hot water heater, electric kitchen stove, electric dryer which I rarely use, LP gas furnace that doesn’t get used much because I also have a wood furnace, wood heat feels great but there is absolutely nothing cheap about burning wood, the house is over 80 years old but in decent shape. Electricity cost where I live is about the highest cost in the entire state of Wisconsin so my total electric bill comes to about $800.00 per year roughly $67.00 per month. After hearing about all kinds of places having power outages that last for days i consider the electric service in my area excellent, back in about 1995 the electricity was off for nearly 24 hours once, but normally when it goes off which is pretty rare it’s only off for a couple hours or less.

Usually pretty careful about electricity use, one big waste I have is the 250 watt yard light which I am considering replacing with LED but not sure which one to get.
That's a low electric bill!!

I put a LED light on my shop that activates at dusk. It's bright enough I see the reflection from my house which is 400+' away. It's much like this
but I can't recall where I bought it. Replaced the 500w Halogen unit at 20w usage.

Oddly enough here in the rural farmland our power hasn't gone out for more than 6 hours in the past 5 years, whereas in North Jersey it went out for 3-10 days at least every year. Sandy was the worst; no electricity for 10 days.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #649  
$ .5378 per KWH and climbing. Even with 2 Hydro plants we still must run the Diesel plants during a lot of the winter months. Price of fuel is killing us.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #650  
.................snip.........................

As for shopping experience I can agree that often you will find a limited selection here.
And businesses are trying to cheat. OK, our system is metric and normally here was used decimal fractions. If we take butter as example. There was 200 gr, 500 gr and 1 kg cartons. Now those innovators have created 180 gr, 450 gr etc. Price of one carton remains the same, but now they are 10 - 15 % smaller
But US system to show prices without tax, imho is beyond crazy. Why would consumer need to know net price, if he have to pay full sum at counter ?

It's not shown because there is no Federal sales tax and by far most States do not tax groceries!

Please see the map below and the enclosed link for further info.

Cheers

Tax on groceries.png

https://taxfoundation.org/grocery-tax-candy-tax-soda-tax-2019/

Last edited: