what on earth does electricity cost near you?

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #651  
$.07/kwh for my geothermal system, and $.12/kwh for everything else in Iowa. I am a rural customer with a local energy Co-op.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #652  
Got a big ranch house, a geothermal heat pump and an electric bill of about $150 a month on the annual budget plan. The heat pump cost to put in but has paid for itself. And we keep the house at 72 in the winter and about the same in the summer. Electric rate was about 12 cents per kwh I think recently.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #653  
Just looking at current PGE bill...

.37 cents kW off-peak

.40 cents kW peak (4-9 pm daily)

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #654  
20 cents per here in VT.

But I have a question.

A fellow I know recently put in a rather large solar array on his roof and also put in a pair of the Tesla uninterruptible battery power units. He says the Tesla units will power his home "normally" for one full day. More if he controls his water well pump.
The solar panel puts out three times the his consumption during peak hours of sunlight. Which I am advised is sold back to the power company at discount, and rectified over the annual billing.

BUT...

He can not use the Tesla panels to power his home when the main service is NOT interrupted! This just seems illogical.
The battery packs were paid for, the solar panels were paid for, but he is NOT PERMITTED to use the excess energy produced by the panels to cover the less productive hours of each day.

Seems like a plan to keep money flowing one way to me.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #655  
Can he flip the main breaker to simulate power outage?

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #656  
Just looking at current PGE bill...

.37 cents kW off-peak

.40 cents kW peak (4-9 pm daily)
would be KW/hs, Kilowatt is the rate you use power, looks like Austria is pretty expensive given the euro is stronger than the Aud and the rates are slightly higher, local east coast price round 32c kw/h peak and off peal is 18odd. i know UK is (was 2 years ago) cheaper than here.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #657  
Yes… SF Bay Area Northern California kWh residential pushing 40 cents now with several rate increases in the works.

On the flip side those home owners selling solar power will be getting less per kW.

The industry has convinced regulators the cost of producing electricity is next to nothing but the cost to distribute is VERY high.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #658  
My power bill last month was 59$. I paid more for delivery than for the power I used. Power is a little more than 4 cents per kilowatt hour. Delivery, taxes and fees were about 33$, power was 26$. I'm told delivery is set to increase a lot very soon.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #659  
My power bill last month was 59$. I paid more for delivery than for the power I used. Power is a little more than 4 cents per kilowatt hour. Delivery, taxes and fees were about 33$, power was 26$. I'm told delivery is set to increase a lot very soon.
Yep… when power plants were being built it was all about the enormous cost…

Who would have thought the real cost is utility poles and wire which in my neighborhood are now 100 years old and the poles look it too!

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #660  
The years of reasonable and honest profits are long gone. Greed is the name of the game now!