what on earth does electricity cost near you?

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #711  
My annual prove up check arrived in the mail today... $201.00

This is for excess generated electricity from my 6kW array flowing into the grid over the last 12 months.

As I didn't pay anything for the system and do no maintenance... not a bad deal and more than covers the monthly meter fee.

Last edited:
   / what on earth does electricity cost near you? #712  
Here is website to look up average electric rate by state and city and what each type of rate payer pays in USA. Commercial, Residential, Industrial.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #713  
Here is website to look up average electric rate by state and city and what each type of rate payer pays in USA. Commercial, Residential, Industrial.

Very nice link,
Thanks

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #714  

What kinda crack are they smoking at that site? It says a bit over 15c/KWh for San Jose, CA. My bill is very complicated (e.g. generation is separated from delivery), but I paid $99 for a total of 343 KWh for the month. That comes out to be 29 cents ave for each KWh that month.

The next KWh I use would be 51.03 cents during peak hours, and 48.4 cents otherwise.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #715  
^^^Yep… the only thing that matters is cost per kWh no matter how you slice it.

Here in Oakland with added city tax I have not been under 30 cents first tier for a long time…

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #716  
^^^Yep… the only thing that matters is cost per kWh no matter how you slice it.

Here in Oakland with added city tax I have not been under 30 cents first tier for a long time…
To add to the complicated rates, PG&E has a "baseline quantity" that changes with the seasons. Currently, that is 15.4 KWh/day. I am steady at 11-12 KWh/day, which puts me inside the baseline for winter rates, but outside in the summer. That, plus the time-of-use variation in rates adds to the complication.

Once a year, I get a small Silicon Valley Green Energy credit, which reduces my bill for that month.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #717  
To add to the complicated rates, PG&E has a "baseline quantity" that changes with the seasons. Currently, that is 15.4 KWh/day. I am steady at 11-12 KWh/day, which puts me inside the baseline for winter rates, but outside in the summer. That, plus the time-of-use variation in rates adds to the complication.
Option A: Get an Engineering Degree, then become a Certified Management Accountant.

Option B: Go off-grid.

I'm lazy, I'll go for option B.....

(Joking..... but not 100%....) Rgds, D.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #718  

Once a year, I get a small Silicon Valley Green Energy credit, which reduces my bill for that month.
Year round mom's averages 12 kWh per day... it was less but I now wash at her house most days...

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #719  
Option A: Get an Engineering Degree...

Option B: Go off-grid.
Well, I have Option A covered, plus I have a BS in Physics. But I am surely not opposed to Option B, if the calculations make sense. If I had more sun, I can see a DIY PV-panel plus lithium battery solution. Dunno if I could power my welders, pumps, and plasma cutter if I go fully off-grid.

OTOH, my neighbors with the super-duper solar system should be using electric heat, and trade one of their cars for a true EV...maybe a Hyundai Ionic 5?

Famous guy once said, "I never let my schooling interfere with my education." I do spend an inordinate amount of time reading economics books....

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #720  
I believe that was Mr. Twain..... oft liked what he and Will Rogers had to say (education, books, electric fences..... :cool:).....

Obvious trade-off is between alt power sources and generator size off-grid. Not suggesting heavy welding is trivial power-wise, but I recall more than one Homepower article where one of the windup comments was "could have gotten away with a smaller generator"....

In context though...... ^ those HPwr homestead projects, while extensive, weren't running double-digit tons of A/C ..... so not what some or many would want today....

Rgds, D.