What shop tools can you not live without?

/ What shop tools can you not live without? #31  

Attachments

• designated driver-e.jpg
    designated driver-e.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 70
   / What shop tools can you not live without? #32  
I'm kindly like Piloon, I'm a tool junkie. My most favorite shop tool that I cannot live without though is simple, it's always the next tool that I am going to buy. The most bothersome one is the one that I didn't buy that was a good deal when I get home it is always I should have bought that.

I lost a SK screw driver that I had had for a very long time and I have searched trying to find one exactly like it but can't find one. The new SK are not like that one, it was about 6 inches long straight blade it was good for digging out where I needed to work on something and the blade held the proper size screw without slipping and I never did have to resharpen it, not meaning that SK tools have lost any of their quality , they just don't have the same feel in the hand. I don't like the Craftsman screwdrivers with the lines across the blades they bend the points under pressure.

The utmost tools that I can't do without are the tools that were my DAD'S, the capital letters wasn't meant to holler it was meant to express the respect and love for him, you can call me a sentimental old slob if you want.

/ What shop tools can you not live without? #33  
All of them, when you need it, you need it. May not need something for a year or more, but when that tool is needed, sure nice to have it.

I need several of most every tool. Being very capable of loosing a tool while holding it in my hand. Got to find another one. :D:laughing:

The picture is my grandson doing some welding on a storm drain grate. In the background is the forge. Not used very often, but gets a real work out every once in a while.

Attachments

• Cody Drain 3.jpg
    Cody Drain 3.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 102
   / What shop tools can you not live without? #34  
... My most favorite shop tool that I cannot live without though is simple, it's always the next tool that I am going to buy...I QUOTE]
Ain't that the truth!

...I lost a SK screw driver that I had had for a very long time and I have searched trying to find one exactly like it but can't find one...QUOTE]

I have a full set of those that have done heavy service for what must be 20 or 25 years now. They have green handles and a hex formed into the tool shank, where it meets the handle, so you can slip a wrench on it for extra torque.

/ What shop tools can you not live without? #35  
Boy do I know that about loosing the tool in your hand!
Lots that could be on a list, but just a few:

Good headlamp.
4 1/2" grinders (2; 1 for grinding, one w/wire wheel).
Mig welder (too easy to get it done).
Oxy-ace. torch (more for heating than cutting -- especially now that I have the plasma).

Battery drill and sliding bit holder (tube slides over the screw holding it straighter for you).

Radial arm saw (watch craigslist -- the one buy in tools you can't beat).
Decent table saw (yes, you can go too cheap here).
Sawzall (unless you use it all the time, buy a mid size model -- saves the arms).
Framing nail gun.
4+ way screwdriver (saves a lot of trips for small jobs).
Buckets and tool bags (I like to have tool bags/boxes for particular types of work: electrical, signal/coax/cat5, framing/building, etc; plus the do all buckets for the 'stuff' on a particular project).
Utility knife (saves my serrated pocket knife -- which I always have with me -- more often than my wallet)
Corded rubber ear plugs. They fit under everything.
Long arm floor jack.
25 or 30' tape measure.
6" triangle square.
Pencil.
Crescent wrenches (non-mechanic work).
Vice grips & chanellocks.
Large spring clamps (at less than $5 a bag, sure speeds up projects).
Cardboard: save those large sheets and throw them under your work. Over spray, spills, cheap creeper (especially in the cold), saves being sore (especially on concrete or asphalt), pull your tools out from under what you worked on when finished.

Kroil and a delivery bottle with a tube.

So many to mention!

/ What shop tools can you not live without? #36  
(1) Hammers: Big, Bigger, and Biggest. Most things can be "fixed" with a hammer.

(2) Cellphone, to call the dealer when a hammer won't fix the *&!%#! piece of junk he sold me. . .

/ What shop tools can you not live without? #38  
Ear plugs, eye protection, breathing mask, welding helmet.

I'd say the same.
Can't stand the noise at all so I nearly always have my ear defenders on.

Of the other tools I would always have my engineers square, steel rule and scribe, for both my wood shop and metal shop.
For everything else I have a Leatherman Wave!:thumbsup:

/ What shop tools can you not live without? #39  
A good lockable door and baling wire!!

/ What shop tools can you not live without? #40  
It usually seems be whatever someone borrowed and didn't bring back.
I picked up one of those cheap 1" band sander bench top models and love it. It allowed me to replace the fine wheel on the bench ginder with a wire wheel, which is nice.