What size trailer

/ What size trailer #1  

KevinMcD

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
Last year I purchased a new CK30HST with FEL and backhoe. This year I want to buy a trailer to move the tractor. Any ideas on a minimum legnth the trailer should be to trailer it properly? Thanks in advance.
Kevin McD.

/ What size trailer #2  
7000 lb. 18 ' electric brakes both axles. I think the tlb is going to be right at 5000 lbs. so you should be just fine weight wise. I have a 16' and wish it was longer.

/ What size trailer #3  
My dealer delivered my CK25 w/fel & bh on a 16' with the split ramps and there wasn't any room to spare. The backhoe stuck out a little between the ramps. If money isn't a concern a 20' or 22' trailer would work nice. Just make sure when you are pricing them out that the deck length is 20' or whatever not total overall length. Also a trailer with a beavertail aids in loading too.

/ What size trailer #4  
Seems like the bevertail trailers always are dragging bottom.

/ What size trailer #5  
I have never drug my beavertail but and I would know since my license plate hangs below the bottom of the beavertail. I'm sure I could find a place to drag it but it hasn't been a problem in normal towing on and off road.

The tractor and FEL should weigh 4000. The hoe another 1000-1500 or so so your tractor weight is a good estimate maybe a little low. The trailer weight will be more than you might think. My 18', 10' GVWR car hauler style trailer weighs 2500 lbs all by itself. It is not flimsy but it is not excessively overbuilt. I am very happy for the extra capacity that a 10k rated trailer offers over a 7000 lb trailer and I don't even have a backhoe (yet?).

I would not recommend a 7000 lb rated trailer since you are at or over the max all the time. Instead, a 10k or even the next step to a 12k is necessary and will serve you well.

Mine is 18' long with the beavertail/dovetail thingy making up 2 feet of it. My tractor with mower is too long to fit on the deck and hangs over a little bit. I attached a picture of this situation. 2 more feet and all would be contained. A 20' trailer would have been a better choice and I think that is what I would recommend unless you just have lots of room wherever you might go and then why not get a 24' GN.

Maybe you could be more specific if you want the smallest and lightest trailer that will work or if you want a bumperpull, or tilt.

The smallest and lowest cost seems to be a 20', 10k rated bumperpull.

In the attached photo that is a 5' mower and the tips of my toothbar are with a few inches of the front of the trailer deck.

Attachments

• 907233-mower.JPG
    907233-mower.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 349
   / What size trailer #6  
<font color="blue">
The tractor and FEL should weigh 4000. The hoe another 1000-1500 or so so your tractor weight is a good estimate maybe a little low. The trailer weight will be more than you might think. My 18', 10' GVWR car hauler style trailer weighs 2500 lbs all by itself </font>

Don't forget to add roughly another 700# if you have fluid filled rear tires.

I've got to agree with Highbeam that you are underestimating the weights. Tractor, FEL, BH, Fluid Fill are going to run roughly 5500#, maybe a bit more, without factoring in the weight of the trailer. A typical 18' trailer is going to be at least 2000#, probably more.

You are over the GVW of 7000# trailer easily. And there is no room for any implements should you ever want to add the weight of one of those to the trailer.

Now here is the NEXT question, do you have a vehicle that can tow 8000# to 9000#?

/ What size trailer #7  
Bumper pull or gooseneck?

Get the longest heaviest rating you can pull. Min. 20 foot 10K bumperpull.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ What size trailer #8  
KevinMcD, I just got a CK 25 w/loader and have a 18' beavertail car hauler 7500 gvw brakes both axils with pleanty of room for a backhoe(by pacing it off) and towed just fine with a half ton Dodge. If you want I will come to your house and we can load your tractor on my trailer and I will tow it around to see how it works /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

/ What size trailer #9  
I second gravel13's comments. Make sure the trailer measurement is for the BED and not the overall length. I'd recommend a bed length of 20' minimum with an overall length of 22 - 23'. If you buy one too short, you'll be sorry. No offense to the other guys, but your machine is a CK30, not a CK20. You'll need a bigger trailer, especially if you have an FEL and something on the back. I have an LK3054 with FEL and backblade in the attached picture. It is on a 20' trailer with an 18' bed and it's a super tight fit. I wish I had more room - don't make a mistake you'll regret /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

Attachments

• 907510-tn_Towing the Kioti.JPG
    907510-tn_Towing the Kioti.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 285