What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf?

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf?
I just got done 4 days straight of driving over logs and stumps with R1’s carry logs and brush in my grapple.
No sidewall damage, no flats.
They make heavier R1’s for that type of work you know?

View attachment 732555

Heres actual log skidder tractor photos
These look a heck of a lot more like R-1s than R-4s

View attachment 732559

View attachment 732558

R-4s are great for use on pavement and compacted soils. R-1 s will do anything R-4s will except last as long on hard surfaces.
Conversely, R-4s will not do nearly as many tasks as well as R-1s.

For the average small tractor and hobbyist not going into deep mud or deep snow, R-4s are fine.
However, I can’t understand why anyone would want a tractor, being used for it’s true intent, which is traction, not having R-1’s. They enhance the tractors traction and utilize more of its pulling power. They sort of give you more drawbar HP which is what you want for pulling or pushing things
Those R1s on the Kubota in the first picture are wider than the R4s that go on the L3301

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #42  
Those R1s on the Kubota in the first picture are wider than the R4s that go on the L3301
You can get wide rubber for your tractors if you want it. In some ways, wider R-1’s reduce traction in that they don’t dig down like narrow pizza cutter R-1s. However, I prefer the flotation from them to keep up on top of grass fields.
You guys would love wide R-1s. They have the paddle type tread for traction, but float on grass better-kind of like an R4.

Heres some extra wide R-1s (not my tractor)

1644241721168.png

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #43  
You can get wide rubber for your tractors if you want it. In some ways, wider R-1’s reduce traction in that they don’t dig down like narrow pizza cutter R-1s. However, I prefer the flotation from them to keep up on top of grass fields.
You guys would love wide R-1s. They have the paddle type tread for traction, but float on grass better-kind of like an R4.
Sure can. That what's used on this side of the pond on most tractors. Most come standard with the wide R1 Radials, even on 20 or 25 hp tractors.

I agree that people would love the wider R1 radials. Much better investment that doesn't really compromise the traction of the tractor compared to the R4.

100716124_277439513401236_7525635760406396928_n.jpg
101578448_277439463401241_7726890763891507200_n.jpg

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf?

Heres some extra wide R-1s (not my tractor)

View attachment 732561
What makes it a R1 then, the tire design?

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #45  
Sure can. That what's used on this side of the pond on most tractors. Most come standard with the wide R1 Radials, even on 20 or 25 hp tractors.

I agree that people would love the wider R1 radials. Much better investment that doesn't really compromise the traction of the tractor compared to the R4.

View attachment 732562 View attachment 732563

Its like an R4 carcass with R1 tread.
Anyone buying a new tractor really needs to do their homework and investigate this.
Most buyers are too worried about HP, brand name, but not tires.
Just from a pulling standpoint, I bet a low end 25HP tractor with R1’s would pull more weight through soft ground, mud, snow than a top of the line 40HP tractor on R4s.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #46  
Its like an R4 carcass with R1 tread.
Anyone buying a new tractor really needs to do their homework and investigate this.
Most buyers are too worried about HP, brand name, but not tires.
Just from a pulling standpoint, I bet a low end 25HP tractor with R1’s would pull more weight through soft ground, mud, snow than a top of the line 40HP tractor on R4s.
Oh easily. I've never used R4s or even seen a tractor with R4s in my country, but from what I've seen on videos, forum and etc, those seem to spin and slide just about everywhere, which can get interesting on a hill. To me, it just looks like spending money to go backwards on the capability and performance of the tractor.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #47  
I love the Turf tires on my JD 790, but it seems they tend to pick up any nail or sharp object and puncture constantly. Thus when I got my L3301 I was ok to see R1 tires, but after almost tipping over just hitting bumps on the road, I am looking at the R4. What should you look for in a new tractor to start with or does it matter.
From what i see, you are not experienced. Clearly you are pushing your boundaries past what they should be. There is ZERO way you could flip over a L3301 Kubota with r1 tires on the road by hitting bumps. You would have to be in the highest gear and do a 180 to roll. Plus, you said your new to tractoring so struggling to understand how you already have 2 tractors, but maybe im confused. Regardless, i would not recommend r4 tires. They are overrated. IMO the best are r14s. good traction, minimal turf damage and long life. If you must get r4s do not buy solideals. Look at titan/goodyear or carslile.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #48  
My rears are at 20 PSI now (filled). I've tried as low as 15, but it made no difference. I've also run the chalk test, and am satisfied with the contact patch I'm getting. The wear pattern on the tires (which now have 1500+ hours on them) also indicates a history of good inflation pressures.

The bare tires work great on dry ground or even somewhat soft/wet (I don't go out in my woods when it's really sloppy out). In snow, going forward on level ground or straight up a slight incline, they are just "OK". Hardpacked snow or ice, or snow on top of those conditions is another matter entirely. I can get around if the slope is not too great, but there is not a chance of pushing snow off the hills in our driveway. In bad conditions, even the slight crown in the driveway is enough to start the tractor slipping sideways. It was slightly better when the tires were new, and still had some edges on the lugs, but not much. As it is now, our cars get up and down the hills better than a tractor with R4 tires: AWD minivan w/snow tires, AWD Subaru with studded snows, 2WD Chevy Bolt with studded snows). The Tacoma with "All Season" tires has to be in 4WD to make it up if there is much of anything on the driveway.

If your bare R4 tires are working well for you in the winter, that's great. They just aren't cutting the mustard here. Perhaps our definition of "sucks in snow" differs. I doubt I'd be happy with bare R1, R3, or R4 in the wintertime, though I have seem where Turf is a bit better on bare ice, and Ag tires can sometime power through deeper snow than my bare R4 tires.

I still like the R4 tires for the type of work I do, but for ice and snow, I'll keep my chains, thanks. It beats being stuck out in the woods a mile from home on a cold winter day, or just spinning my wheels when clearing the driveway, or only doing snow removal in a downhill direction and hoping that I keep it on the road, because if I slide off, there is little chance I'm going to be able to back out uphill with bare R4 tires.
Well I'm not here to argue with someone's experience, but I will say perhaps your issue is that you got worn tires.

Here's my 4 y/o Massey's tires:

PXL_20220207_151220319.jpg PXL_20220207_151253011.jpg

And here's me plowing with them last week, including a side drive with something like an 18 degree slope (4:30 mark). Granted I plow down the slope, but I climb back up backwards any issue, and that side drive is slippery! I can hardly walk down that side drive in my creep sole boots w/o slipping/sliding (see vid).

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #49  
Heck my rear R1's are at about 13 PSI.
My R4 rears don't even register on a gauge. Still lets you know when you hit a bump :ROFLMAO:

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #50  
I live on a hill. I have R1's and these are the same width as any other tire type for my tractor, and I have my tires filled. I wouldn't have anything else for traction on hills. Tread in the winter for me matters not at all. R1s do great in snow but I have to deal with a lot of ice in my sloped driveway. I use studded euro style chains. I don't know if the tire tread under these chains matters much but I do know I can go over an through a lot of ice and snow with very little problem. I keep my tires at the pressure listed in the OM.