What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf?

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #51  
Hills & Ice = chains.
No rubber tire can defeat that combination up or down. You just spin or slide.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #52  
Never seen a new tractor with those, can you get them from the factory with a new tractor, or have to order after..
My new Kioti came through with the R-14s. I like them. They don't tear up the lawn too bad if I have to cross and since adding beet juice to the tires they grab good. Just had opportunity to test them while snowblowing after 30 inch blizzard blew thru here.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #53  
I could see the R-14s replacing turfs and taking business from R-4s
When you start seeing them on commercial backhoes and guys in Canada plowing snow with them, you KNOW they have the potential to change the thinking on tractor tires.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #54  
They come standard on many new tractors, and you can order them if your current tractor needs new skins.
View attachment 732212
Just looking at the tread pattern alone, it looks like it would be relatively easy to make an R-1 into an R-14 with a tire grooving tool. However, you won't be able to change a bias ply into a radial that way though.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #55  
I got R4's and personally I think they're the cat's meow. They don't load up with dirt and mud like turfs, they actually tear my grass up LESS then the turfs mounted on my zero-turn, and I will go on record to say that those who ***** about them in snow DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE 4WD AND LOCKING DIFF!
This ^^^ I've used my R4s in everything and they are fine. Even deep mud. Put my foot down on the diff lock and back out when in need.
I got turfs on my zero turn... I can dig up our soft turf pretty good with both TBH, and probably completely shred turf with the R4s - the zero turn just gets stuck and bogged down.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #56  
I just got done 4 days straight of driving over logs and stumps with R1’s carry logs and brush in my grapple.
No sidewall damage, no flats.
They make heavier R1’s for that type of work you know?

View attachment 732555

Heres actual log skidder tractor photos
These look a heck of a lot more like R-1s than R-4s

View attachment 732559

R-4s are great for use on pavement and compacted soils. R-1 s will do anything R-4s will except last as long on hard surfaces.
Conversely, R-4s will not do nearly as many tasks as well as R-1s.

For the average small tractor and hobbyist not going into deep mud or deep snow, R-4s are fine.
However, I can’t understand why anyone would want a tractor, being used for it’s true intent, which is traction, not having R-1’s. They enhance the tractors traction and utilize more of its pulling power. They sort of give you more drawbar HP which is what you want for pulling or pushing things
Skidder tires are a whole different world than what are used on compact tractors. They are designed to be resistant to the types of hazards you find on logging jobs. I suspect that the options for heavier construction are available for larger tractors as well.

Clearly it's possible to make a tire with an Ag-style tread with sidewall construction as heavy or more heavy than an R4 style tire. However, you seem to have missed the first line of my post (#36 in this topic): "I use R4 tires on my tractor because they are tougher construction than the R1 tires I've been able to find in my size." [emphasis added].

If I could find R1 tires with heavier construction in a size to fit my compact tractor (15 x 19.5 in an R4 or 11.2-24 in an R1) I'd most likely already be running them. I was told by a contact at Titan of the sidewall construction difference in the two, and chose R4 because of that.

As mentioned elsewhere, I don't drive in my woods in muddy conditions - because I don't have to. That's just a recipe for tearing up my trails and starting major erosion problems in these hills. As far as deep snow or icy conditions, neither R4 nor Ag tires will get the job done around here unless you put chains on them. With the right chains, you'll run rings around the same equipment with bare tires of any tread type in the winter in our area.

As it happens, we just finished a logging job on a property I own jointly a few miles down the road. When we put the contract out for bid, we specified that it would be done under frozen winter conditions, to protect the soils and water quality. Here's a picture of the skidder used on the job. It may be difficult to see under the chains, but they are Ag style tread. Regardless of the tread, you simply don't see a skidder operator running without chains in this area in the winter.

Timberjack1.jpg

Timberjack2.jpg

Even the log trucks have chains:
IMG_2857.jpg

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #57  
I use R4 tires on my tractor because they are tougher construction than the R1 tires I've been able to find in my size. R4 tires especially tend to have tougher sidewall rubber. The main use for my tractor is working in the woods in rocky, hilly terrain. Logging in those conditions can be hard on tires. The rocks and sapling stumps are more likely to punch a hole in the the sidewall of an R1 tire than an R4 (the ply ratings mostly refer to the tread of the tire, not the sidewall).

My other uses are for grading our 1/4 mile driveway (where the R4 tires have plenty of traction) and snow removal on our 1/4 mile hilly driveway. I used bare R4 tires (filled, no chains) to clear our driveway when I lived in the flatlands of NW Ohio. They worked out OK there. When it comes to using them in the foothills of the Green Mountains here in Vermont, I'd have to say I agree with those who say they suck in snow - especially when you have enough hours on them to have rounded off the edges on the lugs. On icy hills, don't even bother trying. (And, contrary to what some may suggest, I'm well acquainted with the proper use of 4WD and locking differentials. I'd just love to stand by and watch while you attempt to use your superior skills to get up my driveway. I'll try not to laugh too hard.) When the wrong conditions have set in, you can't get up the main hill in my driveway with the bare R4 tires even when you are not pushing snow. I dealt with those traction issues by running Euro-style studded chains on my rear tires and steering with the brakes when necessary. I like the chains enough that I use them in the woods for more than just winter use.

Since my R4 tires are nearing the end of their life, I've started exploring R14. They may have the traction to avoid the need for chains in some conditions, particularly in the woods (Though I'm betting I'll still need them on ice.)

I did exchange a few emails with an R&D guy at Titan about the R14 tires. I asked about whether my chains for my R4 15 x 19.5 tires were likely to also fit the R14 tires in that size. I also asked about the relative toughness of the tires, particularly in the sidewalls. His responses:

I'm still hoping to talk to a user in my area who uses his tractor similarly to how I do before I get to the point where I have to actually place the order. However, that's an encouraging initial look.
I will give my short amount of experience with R14's. I had a Kubota B1700 for over 20 years with r4's that were not good in the snow, so when I moved into an LX2610 I went with the standard size (not larger) R14's. Now I only have 29 hours on them but I find they are much better in the snow and ice. I do find they do more turf damage than the r4's. these tires are loaded with beat juice and my r4's were not. I also find they are better in compost type soil for traction but they track the soil all over the yard. My tires are 6 ply, the same as my r4's were. The tread depth is slightly less with the r14's than with the r4's according to the specs given for the tires available for the LX 2610.
I have to be more careful running over the lawn but I am happy with my decision so far and we have had a lot of ice recently.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #58  
Well, I guess you need to look a little harder?
Theyre out there.
Log skiddys run w/ & w/o chains.
Cool pics!

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #59  
I got R4's and personally I think they're the cat's meow. They don't load up with dirt and mud like turfs, they actually tear my grass up LESS then the turfs mounted on my zero-turn, and I will go on record to say that those who ***** about them in snow DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE 4WD AND LOCKING DIFF!
1644258337683.jpeg
What I like is they go in snow no matter if you are going forward or reverse.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #60  
Dad's 1635 came with Radial turf tires, absolutely amazing in snow. Bought a new set of Unverferth wheels and R1 tires last fall, they arrived and were installed in July.

It is an entirely different tractor, sits up higher too. In all honesty, I would get both sets of tires again, nice having options.
DF810210-88A7-4C66-8135-0BA02F7673CC.jpeg

Last edited: