What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf?

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #61  
I have R4 tires on my NH TC30, and I use it for blowing snow with a front snow blower. I have a 1000 ft driveway, and I live in the snow belt on the east side of Lake Michigan. I would not put chains on, as I am concerned about doing damage to the concrete in front of barn and garage. When I have the snow blower on "float", I have very poor steering control, often have to lift it and back up and try again. When the temperature is around freezing, I have traction problems too, regardless of four wheel drive and diff lock. I don't know if Nokian makes snow tires to fit my tractor, but I would be interested to hear if anybody has tried the Hakkapeliitta tractor tires and how they compare to others.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #62  
Well I'm not here to argue with someone's experience, but I will say perhaps your issue is that you got worn tires.
At 1500+ hours, they are definitely worn. But they still have plenty of tread remaining. At something like $360 per tire, I'm not going to throw them out just because of a little wear.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #63  
At 1500+ hours, they are definitely worn. But they still have plenty of tread remaining. At something like $360 per tire, I'm not going to throw them out just because of a little wear.
Yeh, I hear ya. Do you have a finished driveway and worried about tearing it up with chains? If yeh, and this applies to John Mc up there too, you guys could try Terra Grips. I had them on a garden tractor when I was plowing with it, they worked great.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #64  
To the OP I know the L series has three or 4 different width configurations for the back tires and they are normally shipped in the narrow configuration. Talk to your dealer about moving your rear tires to the widest configuration possible. I have a L 3901 with R1s and the wider configuration makes a huge difference on stability. This Video helps explain-

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #65  
To the OP I know the L series has three or 4 different width configurations for the back tires and they are normally shipped in the narrow configuration. Talk to your dealer about moving your rear tires to the widest configuration possible. I have a L 3901 with R1s and the wider configuration makes a huge difference on stability. This Video helps explain-
Good point. On most brands, the width adjustable rims are only offered with R1 tires. So it's something else to keep in mind when choosing tires. With R1 Radials, most will actually offer front and rear witdth adjustable rims.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #66  
Yeh, I hear ya. Do you have a finished driveway and worried about tearing it up with chains? If yeh, and this applies to John Mc up there too, you guys could try Terra Grips. I had them on a garden tractor when I was plowing with it, they worked great.

I'm not currently having traction problems because I use chains all winter long (and sometimes well beyond the winter season, depending on what I am doing). Most of our 1/4 mile driveway is gravel. We did pave the loop up near the house. I have not had problems with the studded chains damaging it. When it's cold out, damage only seems to happen when you spin the tires. With the Euro-style chains having constant contact with the ground, I have not had issues with the wheels spinning. I do stay off the paved area in the heat of the summer, since the studs would probably sink in when the asphalt was hot.

I used V-bar 4 link ladder chains for several years and V-bar Duo-Grip chains for one winter season. Both of them tended to have a slip-grab-slip-grab effect in icy conditions due to the spaces between cross links (especially the Duo-Grip, due to the larger spaces). It did not happen a lot, but I would see some spin under load. They would tend to gouge things up. Fortunately, we had not yet paved the driveway, and digging a little in the gravel was no big deal.

The old Craftsman garden tractor was always spinning it's tires, even with the 2-link V-bar ladder style chains, wheel weights, and a big bucket of sand on a platform on the back. By the time I add up the loader, filled rear tires, and forestry mods on my tractor (belly pan, limb risers, falling object protection) it weighs a little over 4000# even before I put the snow blower on the 3 Pt hitch, so it takes a bit more to spin the tires.

The terra grips look interesting, but I don't see them in sizes for larger tires. I wonder if they would pull apart in higher pull situations on larger vehicles?

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #67  
The R 14 looks intriguining. I've used all three. The R1 tore up lawn when used there; the turf did well on the lawn, but I had to patch, plug and replace them all the time with some of my applicatioins. I'm one season into the R4 and really like them. I've not had any side stability issues, though I don't have much for hills to worry about.

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf?
From what i see, you are not experienced. Clearly you are pushing your boundaries past what they should be. There is ZERO way you could flip over a L3301 Kubota with r1 tires on the road by hitting bumps. You would have to be in the highest gear and do a 180 to roll. Plus, you said your new to tractoring so struggling to understand how you already have 2 tractors, but maybe im confused. Regardless, i would not recommend r4 tires. They are overrated. IMO the best are r14s. good traction, minimal turf damage and long life. If you must get r4s do not buy solideals. Look at titan/goodyear or carslile.
Already sank it down in the black sank and it went to tilt over, so had to pull it out with the JD, to say nothing of hitting the dips on the road. So yes, you can tip it over...

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf?
The R 14 looks intriguining. I've used all three. The R1 tore up lawn when used there; the turf did well on the lawn, but I had to patch, plug and replace them all the time with some of my applicatioins. I'm one season into the R4 and really like them. I've not had any side stability issues, though I don't have much for hills to worry about.
Here is a video on a tractor with the R14s....

/ What tires should you get on a new Tractor, R1, R4, or Turf? #70  
R4s are all right on flat ground, but junk and highly dangerous on a slope, they will slide sideways, then bite for a couple seconds and tip the tractor up, I use turf, the old saying get what you pay for, turfs can be had in six ply, less chance of going flat from abrasion or nail, they bite better on a slope, on flat ground anything will work with tread