What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture?

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #51  
View attachment 741011

So my wife and I went back to the property Thursday, it is indeed very deceiving on the slope. The area with broom straw is likely not mowable with a normal tractor even up and down. Look at the scale from the barn to the top of the ridge. Topo maps show that as a 50’ difference.

I’m thinking now maybe a walk behind gravely or something similar. I trust my Kubota BX going up and down since it’s low to ground, but still want something larger for the flatter sections.
I know you are being cautious and think thats steep, but a commercial zero turn with bar tires would cut that easily. I cut steeper property with mine. I see the large rocks. Its the smaller more hidden rocks that get your blades.
Walk the property with orange snowplowing guides and mark all the rocks & obstacles you can find. Then set the deck up higher on the first couple cuts and proceed very cautiously. Might take 6 hours first time. I would cut that up & down, but if it really scares you, drive along the slope instead.
Before you know it, you’ll cut that in a couple hours with ease.
Just like everything else in life, unpredictability of the unknown adds a layer of fear & hesitation. Get yourself a diesel zero turn and slap a set of bar tires on it for that hill.

Now if you need a tractor because you have other chores, an older 35HP 4WD tractor with a 72” or larger mower and whatever other attachments you need will be able it, too. Probably want to go up/down the hill with a tractor if it has a narrow stance.

This would be a GREAT option for you. Its 1/2 tractor and 1/2 zero turn. Has better traction than a ZT but can handle more attachments and cut steep ground easily.
Love mine

1649512669295.jpeg

You could cut the low and high parts of the meadow where its more level and do a controlled burn on the steep part. Very popular in my area.

Last edited:
   / What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #52  
Cuz it will grow up in an uncontrolled mess if he doesn't manage it.

I'd walk that area and look for holes and sudden drop offs.
Why does it have to be controlled? You can still manage it without mowing it. If the land isn't needed for production, I'd plant it with native trees and shrubs and enjoy the benefits of increased wildlife habitat and less work for the owner.

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #53  
There's a fair amount of work involved in planting what you want and then keeping the stuff you don't want from taking over. By the time you do that, sometimes it's just faster to keep it all cut in my personal experience. Add to this it being hilly which makes it harder to work with than something flat.

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #54  
I think it is a lovely meadow. A nice contrast to the other beautiful surroundings.

1649517910655.png

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #55  
I disagree. At $55,000 the used AEBI is an absurd (rare and hard to deal with for repairs, dealers, etc.) tool for the OPs job. Not at all justified. Most normal 4WD tractors good for many other tasks and nowhere near as specialized as an AEBI will do his property nicely. Just mow up and down. As another guy said -- walk the property carefully and find the ledges and holes and drop offs if any to watch for or avoid during mowing. Make sure he gets one with wide spread rear wheels, and AG tires. Not a big deal at all. He mentioned (in post # 47) it being unmowable and maybe needing to use a walk behind Gravely or something. None of that is justified. If he is too inexperienced, get some neighbor or nearby farmer with a 4WD to cut MOST of the broomsades covered area and see how much of it (if any) is too steep, dangerous or problematic. Pay the guy for a one-time mowing. See how it goes. Then decide on what machine to get in the long run for himself. I am convinced it can readily be mowed with a compact 4WD tractor and a 5ft rotary cutter with no problem so long as it is a brand/model with wide spaced rear wheels. There might be a very small spot or two that aren't worth the risk and need planted in pine trees of cut once a year with some other machine. Crap -- if he was just a little closer I'd come mow it.

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #56  
There's a fair amount of work involved in planting what you want and then keeping the stuff you don't want from taking over. By the time you do that, sometimes it's just faster to keep it all cut in my personal experience. Add to this it being hilly which makes it harder to work with than something flat.
Having reforested a field from scratch in 1989, I'm gonna disagree with you. We planted 2150 trees in alternating rows of white pines and mixed hardwoods, and side sprayed them for weeds. Then we had the option to either side spay them once a year for 5 years, or mow between them twice a year for 5 years. After 5 years, the trees were so thick, you couldn't drive a tractor between the rows to mow. After that, no maintenance. Today, those trees are 50' tall and nothing grows underneath them but other trees. Around the edges, we planted small trees and shrubs. They required no maintenance at all. It's thick with turkey, squirrel, deer, etc.

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #57  
Looks like the OP has plenty of trees. Maybe a little open space is nice to have too.

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #58  
Looks like the OP has plenty of trees. Maybe a little open space is nice to have too.
Yes, it is. Just sayin, if the land isn't producing anything, and he's going to have to spend $ on a machine that can handle mowing it, plus time mowing it, sometimes it's better for the land and the land owner to plant something more natural. ;)

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #59  
Sometimes buying a a machine that can handle mowing it, plus time mowing is actually a fun thing to do. Plus, he has that beautiful view ;)

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #60  
Sometimes buying a a machine that can handle mowing it, plus time mowing is actually a fun thing to do. Plus, he has that beautiful view ;)
Absolutely! Besides, I get the impression the OP wants to be a tractor owner and have the machine around to do the many, many unpredicted things you use a tractor for !! Not just mowing a hillside.