What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture?

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #41  
Twice a year, I mow a pasture that has sections with a near 20% slope. @ParkWhite suggested that you take time to practice. That's what I did.. After my 3rd mowing, I understood how to take the hills riding up/down rather than attempting to go across.

To help with the turns at the top, a FEL was added to the tractor to balance the weight of the 5' brush hog on the back. I learned that big wide circle turns is the way to go and if that cannot be done, then back down the hill. A tight turn tends to roll the tractor.

Slow is the answer on hills. This ain't no race to "gitter dun". Being alive when done mowing is a critical goal to me! It takes me 11-12 hours to mow this field.

And no, for this machine, I would not want a bigger brush hog.

A bigger tractor? Sure. But there is nothing wrong with this MF1533 for this job if one is willing to take it easy, choosing to live!
You must mean 20 degrees not 20%. A 20% slope is very mild and not even hardly a slope.

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #42  
@JWR - you are correct.. brain fart. 20 degrees is what I measured using my phone.. Why did I write 20%? Who can say?

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #43  
I’ve been mowing 17 acres with a John Deere 1600 wide area mower. It’s a 65 horsepower four wheel drive machine so it handles the hills with plenty of power and it has 3 mower decks. The side decks seem to add quite a bit of stability on the slopes. The negative is that it is a single purpose machine but it’s good at what it was made for. I’m done with this 17 acres as far as mowing so this one will be for sale at the high end of your range. I also use a Scag 61” zero turn to mow the same property at times but the JD faster and more comfortable. Congrats on purchasing the second property.

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #44  

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #45  
If you're going to go down that route, I'd look at Toro Groundsmasters. ;)

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #46  
If you're going to go down that route, I'd look at Toro Groundsmasters. ;)
And get the four wheel drive version. Mine is a 2004 328D and the 6' recycle deck:

P5160005.JPG
P5300020.JPG
P3230014.JPG

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture?
F536EAF2-B7B2-44E6-BC86-A300CD675923.jpeg

So my wife and I went back to the property Thursday, it is indeed very deceiving on the slope. The area with broom straw is likely not mowable with a normal tractor even up and down. Look at the scale from the barn to the top of the ridge. Topo maps show that as a 50’ difference.

I’m thinking now maybe a walk behind gravely or something similar. I trust my Kubota BX going up and down since it’s low to ground, but still want something larger for the flatter sections.

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #48  
Why mow that section at all?

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #49  
Cuz it will grow up in an uncontrolled mess if he doesn't manage it.

I'd walk that area and look for holes and sudden drop offs.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR