What was the best dog you've had?

/ What was the best dog you've had? #72  
I have to respectfully disagree with that. Having a pet is something which not everybody is qualified for. I've seen too many dogs who didn't deserve the way they are mistreated.

I met one person who definitely didn't deserve to have a dog.

I caught a Boston Terrier that was running down a busy street that fortunately had the owners phone number on his collar.

The owner met me at a convenience store to get his dog. All he did was complain that this was the third time he escaped through his backyard fence.

Being a Boston Terrier owner, I couldn't help myself and asked him if the dog was responsible for fixing the fence or him.

He took his dog without saying thanks. By the guys demeanor, he had no business having that dog.

/ What was the best dog you've had? #73  
Sure, this is like asking what is your favorite sandwich... I'm just hoping someone can spark something in our search for a new family dog. We are more small to medium size dog folks, but that doesn't matter here. Breed if you know it. What made him or her special to you.
For a small breed inside dog I recommend a Pug. They are super friendly to humans and other dogs. My all time favorite was Ladybug. She's been gone for 5 years but I still miss her. She was special because she could almost speak. :)

Kentuckiana Pug Rescue

Last edited:
   / What was the best dog you've had? #74  
Yes the Pugs are loving dogs. We have one who is now 9 and just wants to be with you all the time. He has had no health problems but because it gets so hot here you do need an air conditioned home for them or they struggle.
We have 2 Chinese crested/hairy hairless as well. I wouldn't recommend them for everyone but they fit in with us. The Pug gets on with everything and everyone.
Other dogs in the past were a Pom. (not a fan) a Ridgeback. Lovely and protective, A Staffy Ridgeback cross, BEST DOG EVER, and a Maremma. (not for everyone but fitted in well with us)

/ What was the best dog you've had? #75  
I met one person who definitely didn't deserve to have a dog.

I caught a Boston Terrier that was running down a busy street that fortunately had the owners phone number on his collar.

The owner met me at a convenience store to get his dog. All he did was complain that this was the third time he escaped through his backyard fence.

Being a Boston Terrier owner, I couldn't help myself and asked him if the dog was responsible for fixing the fence or him.

He took his dog without saying thanks. By the guys demeanor, he had no business having that dog.
I've met too many people... but that's just my opinion. A former female friend had her daughter's hound living with her... along with her daughter and son, with respective BF/GF and grandkids. One day the daughter's BF took the dog and said that he was going to "take care of it." She came home from work that night and found the dog lying on the doorstep with a grievious bullet wound to it's head. The :censored: BF had shot it and left it for dead, yet it returned to what it knew as home. There was no reason for it except that it was a hound with that breed's need to run.
A friend of theirs had a big Rottie, another, smaller mongrel, and a 2 YO daughter. One day the Rottie attacked the kid, biting her seriously in the face. I saw her 2 days later with punture wounds under one eye, over the other, plus a few more around her nose. She's lucky she didn't lose an eye- or her life. Yet her father said "My dog didn't do that!"...
It must have been poltergeists, the only living things in the room were the kid and the dog. I was tempted to visit them with a steak wrapped around one arm and my .357 in the other hand- The ###### bit me!

/ What was the best dog you've had? #76  
We also had a Maine Coon... picked him up at the feed store for free. It was a kitten that somebody didn't want. We didn't know it was a Maine Coon until much later, that is until it got over 20#. Great cat though. It spent days hunting for squirrels, chipmunks, mice, birds, just about anything.

Cooper, our M/Coon would go out all day and come back into the house at dusk. He loved to show off his prowess and strength by climbing very tall trees. That rascal could jump 6' up the tree for a start. Unfortunately at age 5 it went up a 40' tree, slipped and fell. Broke his back and had other internal injuries, so we had to put him down.
Geez we miss that cat. We'd love to have another Maine Coon.

As far as our 'best dog', every dog I've owned were 'best' in my book. Our current 'best dog' is a rescue mix Chihuahua and Dachshund. Healthiest and smart? Fantastic little gal.

Everybody should have a dog if at all possible.
Very sorry to hear about Cooper’s misfortune!

Our Maine Coon was named Alex and he would lay in the yard and at first glance he seemed perfectly still but he was scanning the yard for any movement then when he spotted something he would shoot out to get it. It was fantastic watching him catch birds in the air too.

/ What was the best dog you've had? #77  
I have to respectfully disagree with that. Having a pet is something which not everybody is qualified for. I've seen too many dogs who didn't deserve the way they are mistreated.
yep, on second thought I tend to agree with you 100%. There's a lot of dogs that don't deserve people!

/ What was the best dog you've had? #79  
I haven't had that many dogs. I believe that all of them were good. However, one of my current dogs is the best one I've ever had. He is an 80 lb. Black Mouth Cur. He is the smartest, fastest, tough as nails dog I've ever had. Perfect for the homestead. Nothing gets past him. He is super loyal and protective of his people and property. I would get another without hesitation.

coyote 1.JPG

/ What was the best dog you've had? #80  
I have owned dogs my whole life;all have been house dogs and hunters.Labs for thirty years,more recently pointing breeds;English Pointers and German Short-hairs.
I own an uplands preserve and see about every "bird dog" breed out there.Family owns 3 GSP's,1 English Pointer(had as many as 7) and one English Cocker(daughter's);multiple beagles and an ankle biter.
Love all dogs but prefer the hunting breeds that are low maintenance and big enough to deter trespassers.