What's happened to Shield Arc

/ What's happened to Shield Arc #231  
I met Carl a couple times and if I could have pulled away for a while would have taken him up on a job setup offer intro. I never went to his place, I met him a couple of events and had dinner. We ran a couple beads at a field test. He said it would be fairly easy to float to the top as they had a couple bigger bridge things maybe not tooo far off his back yard. I didnt want to commit, wouldnt have been any real skin off him and could have been shorter in hindsite but they were in a push for bridge quality wire welding and having problems getting a lot of the chimps to learn to set the wire speed right.

/ What's happened to Shield Arc #232  
I got the feeling he might have been trying to recruit a bit hoping to leave some shirt tails around for grandsons etc. That would have been 15 yrs ago, the time zoomed but I would have been thinking about retirement from that a couple years or so ago. Right about the time he was coaching a couple young welders.

/ What's happened to Shield Arc #233  
On this forum it is easy to see what we see and Carl focused on welding coupons vs building and it was a hobby/vocation at this point but what is missed from here is he was a really smart guy.
I asked him when I figured out he was so much smarter than the rest of us including an engineer or 2,,, I had to wonder, how come someone so smart spend so long at pile drivers? He said "it was so easy to float to the top when the rest of them were so stupid". He managed work that was huge, budget on a footer on some of the bridges in the millions, big millions too. Lot of money pouring in one spot.

Last edited:
   / What's happened to Shield Arc #234  
I got the feeling he might have been trying to recruit a bit hoping to leave some shirt tails around for grandsons etc. That would have been 15 yrs ago, the time zoomed but I would have been thinking about retirement from that a couple years or so ago. Right about the time he was coaching a couple young welders.
And at least one 'old' welder as well. ;)

/ What's happened to Shield Arc #235  
And at least one 'old' welder as well. ;)
I would say more than one as I am a bit older than you and I was a bit older than Carl as well.
He is truly missed and he really improved my welding skills.
I just wished I had gotten over to have him help me on my Aluminum Tig welding that he offered.
He got me started on scratch start Tig and then I bought a dedicated Tig machine for aluminum.
He certainty help my overhead and vertical up welds.

I remember when he helped you get dialed in on your machine.
An amazing individual Carl was.

/ What's happened to Shield Arc #236  
Carl and I had some online disagreements that I'm positive would not exist in 'real life', in the shop.
They exist because of the internet.
If I walked into his shop with my Miller in-hand we'da been best buds in a few minutes.
That was back when 120v was illegal...:ROFLMAO:
This is like a metaphor for the dangers of social media that we all know so well today.

My biggest welding improvement came from Carl's "a series of little Js" and I'm happy for that.
Of course there's a helluva lot more to welding than that..... but that will carry on.
I've repeated that one tip to several 'learning' welders and it has upped their weld quality.
And success provides the inspiration to learn more.

/ What's happened to Shield Arc #240  
There are welding products out there for the novice. Stick welding if you just have a 200 amp buzz box. You'd be surprised. Many of these products almost weld themselves, and get rid of porosity in the bead. I'm here to help!!!
Posts are spammy..