what's in a name.. Heavy duty :)

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :)
? must be cheap or damaged paint.. most finishes are quite acid resistant ..

soundguy

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #42  
Speaking of "Heavy Duty" have you noticed that just about everything is labeled "Contractors Grade", "Pro Grade", "Extreme Duty", "Ultra", "Mega" and so on. :laughing:

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :)
industrial grade.. etc.. etc..

the only ones I pay much attention to are with audio electronics.

for those.. you pretty much DO have 'consumer grade' and 'pro grade'

the different in those 'grades' are usually what types of input it accepts.

consumer grade , in audio, generally has rca or maybee 'mono phone' plugs. if it is pro, it may have TRS plugs, or usually, XLR.. etc.

as far as contractor grade vs others. is ee that alot in clean up bags.

sometimes it means tougher.. just have to look at the mils.

another good one is household vs institutional grade. generally, again. in cleaning supplies. for instance.. genericl institutional grade 'can liners' are as cheap as you can get, and as many as you can get on a roll.. etc.

as far as tools go.. IMHO.. much of it is price point selling vs quality many times..

soundguy

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #44  
as far as tools go.. IMHO.. much of it is price point selling vs quality many times..

soundguy

The exception to that is with old stuff. If you pick up an all metal black and decker tool and it says heavy duty, it will last forever. The black and decker professional line, that stuff was as good as metabo. Skill commercial is another one. Too bad they stopped making the top of the line stuff, and just consumer grade now. This is the reason the only power tools I buy now are old industrial grade, or new milwaukee or makita.

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #45  
Well the batterys still will let go like a 12 guage. The Company decided to let us buy lexan covers to go over all our 8d battery sets. We have bought nearly every major brand. Napa is as good as any others,the covers are channel shaped and turn the acid away. We always used the treated washers for corrosion..BTW, Cokecola is a good fast rinse if acid gets on you or your clothes?

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #46  
Well the batterys still will let go like a 12 guage. The Company decided to let us buy lexan covers to go over all our 8d battery sets. We have bought nearly every major brand. Napa is as good as any others,the covers are channel shaped and turn the acid away. We always used the treated washers for corrosion..BTW, Cokecola is a good fast rinse if acid gets on you or your clothes?

Getting people with dead batteries, and not enough money to buy new batteries when they start getting weak, to buy Lexan covers to protect others when they are jumping their dead batteries off, is wishful thinking, lol. Great idea, just marketing to the wrong people. That would require auto makers to be required to install them, and the auto makers have already moved the contact points to a safer area. Oh well....
David from jax

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #47  
? must be cheap or damaged paint.. most finishes are quite acid resistant ..

soundguy

Suit yourself is all I can tell ya blast away! :laughing:

edit: I was going to say its pretty arrogant to make assumptions on things you haven't seen but I wont do that.

Last edited:
   / what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #48  
Actually, they are custom made covers, and no i don't have one on my own car or truck. I have laid a shop rag over the top if working on the engine. I have not had the caps or tops blow off a car battery in many years..As to design change???It only takes a little gas collected and then the spark? I learned a long time ago to make the final ground somewhere on the metal, not battery?

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #49  
The exception to that is with old stuff. If you pick up an all metal black and decker tool and it says heavy duty, it will last forever. The black and decker professional line, that stuff was as good as metabo. Skill commercial is another one. Too bad they stopped making the top of the line stuff, and just consumer grade now. This is the reason the only power tools I buy now are old industrial grade, or new milwaukee or makita.

Gotta be careful with Milwaukee, some of their stuff has Chinese origins.

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #50  
When you are boosting a battery you really want to leave it connected and your vehicle running to boost the state of charge in the donor vehicle. when you boost the vehicle you are adding very little Amperage threw the cables mainly you are boosting the voltage in the system.
The last connection you want to connect is the ground to the donors car engine block close to the starter or at least a solid part, body parts do not work.
My truck has two batteries, and I used it for boosting the left front battery, a while a go I separated the batteries and the left front one took over 2 hours to come to full charge. The right rear one took 10 minutes.