Comparison Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming?

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #31  
I wouldn’t base judgment on turbo Diesel engines on experience with a forty year old gasoline sports car.

Of the same animal at all.

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #32  
I understand

I went nonturbo also back in the day. I don’t know if my avoidance made good sense at the time but it has worked out.

There were 4 models of the 3 series Deere that I had settled on. I can’t remember one but the others were 3320/3520/3720
The 3320 had a bit bigger if a motor and nonturbo. The other 3 shared a motor but had different turbos 3520/3720 and ??. iirc

I went with the slightly bigger motor sans turbo (I was on a bit of a cubic inch kick at the time after bumping my f250 460 up to a 557ci motor!)

very happy but not sure it mattered

Last edited:
   / Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #33  
40 horses naturally aspirated = pretty small farming.

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #34  
RE: Turbo

I'm also in the don't worry about it group. We have a turbo VW Jetta. No problems at all. Technology has come a long way since the late 70's

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming?
I currently have 5 pieces of equipment with turbos. The closest thing to a turbo problem I’ve had is a coolant leak that wasn’t even directly on the turbo. There’s literally millions of turbos out there and they’re reliable.
Hmm, will talk to my tractor guy, and see what he thinks, especially on reliability and durability as I am use to 'bullet proof' after 20 years on my 790..to say nothing of my Tacoma...;)

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #36  
I'd be more worried about a naturally aspirated computer controlled diesel with emissions than a mechanical pump with turbo.

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #37  
40 horses naturally aspirated = pretty small farming.
Yeah, right ”big farmer”. lol
Give it a break, you’re a tiny farmer.

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming?
I wouldn’t base judgment on turbo Diesel engines on experience with a forty year old gasoline sports car.

Of the same animal at all.
Well, many people say they wont buy a gear tractor for much the same reasons, and you have to admit that having a 'turbo' adds another level of cost and complexity for any brand of tractor, or model.

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #39  
Well, many people say they wont buy a gear tractor for much the same reasons, and you have to admit that having a 'turbo' adds another level of cost and complexity for any brand of tractor, or model.

Sure it does. I was just thinking that the same goes for power steering. It used to be that power steering on tractors gave no end of problems. And even when it wasn't giving problems power steering tended to whine and leak constantly. But it got figured out and now they are reliable.

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #40  
I am fixing up my JD 790 with FEL and Backhoe for future replacement, and either sell or trade in if I get what its worth on the market, and would look for at least a 40 Hp tractor, non turbo, Gear driven, and with dealer support.

What is the best one out there for a reasonable price, something in the price range of what it would take to replace my truck, I would not be prone to buy, if it goes beyond a 2022 4 door Tacoma.
Kubota L4701 has a non turbo 4 cylinder engine that’s rated 45 hp. Tractor is a work horse for its size 38 at Pto with HST transmission. Will handle 6ft implements with ease with QH on 3pt you can get Cat II implements. You will obviously half to figure out the size implements you will use and what Pto and FEL capabilities you will need ????