Wheel spacers

/ Wheel spacers #22  
Is there a disadvantage to these? Seems kind of like a no brainer. Looking into it now.
Yes, as they shift the ground contact point outward, that adds a lever to the normal load, multiplying the force on the bearing and drive shaft. So there is the possibility of premature wear, and a technical reduction in the maximum allowable load (to keep the force at the bearing in specifications). As the slope increase there is more thrust force on the bearings, which the tractor may, or may not have been designed for.

Whether any of this is an issue for your tractor in your usage is anybody's guess. I know folks who have done similar things and blown bearings/hydraulic drive motors. Most of the folks that I know felt that the gain in stability was worth the cost. It is an individual decision for sure.

All the best,

Peter

/ Wheel spacers #23  
Wheel spacers ? What are your thoughts on rear wheel spacers for increased stability?
If you have used them please post the size, the make, and the results.
All this was before delivery so I can't say what the improvement in stability was. But it's very stable on side hills compared to my last tractor.

Last edited:
   / Wheel spacers
Good to hear it M, I'm waiting for wheel spacers 2' front and 3" rear to arrive from Brotec.
Now my search has turned to wheel weights. The combination of added width and weight is about all I can do to improve stability.

/ Wheel spacers
Wheel spacers arrived. They are nicely made. The fit is perfect. Here are a couple of pics of the installation. Use a torque wrench as instructed. I'm using a piece of metal rod with pvc pipe over it to lock the hub and protect the studs from damage. Just had time for 1 yesterday. The forklift is a big help. More on this later.

Attachments

• IMG_3025.JPG
    IMG_3025.JPG
    261.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3027.JPG
    IMG_3027.JPG
    341.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3028.JPG
    IMG_3028.JPG
    390.8 KB · Views: 96
   / Wheel spacers
Got the other front done yesterday. Took me about one hour. All the old wheel studs had to be double nutted to be removed on this side. That's tideous and time consuming.
Now I'm thinking about how to handle the fluid filled rear tire R&R. Obviously the forklift but I'm concerned the tire may tip over when the machine is moved. I either need a helper to steady the loaded tire or some sort of restraint.

/ Wheel spacers #27  
I had the local tire shop come and install Bro-Tek rear spacers on my Kioti DK35 SE on December 12. The tires are 43x16-20 and weight 130# and are loaded with Rim Guard weighing 440 lbs @75% fill. I had the H-pattern chains on which must weigh over 100 lbs. for each tire. I suppose the rim weighs around 50 lbs so the total for each tire is around 720 lbs. Your rear tires are no doubt much heavier.

I gave the Bro-tek instructions to the tire store the day before and they sent out the truck with the small crane. The techs knew what they were doing and had spacers installed in about and hour. The just used a pry bar and adjustments with their jack to slip the tire off and on. It looked deceptively easy because they know what they are doing and have done it so many times before.

I installed Bro-Tek spacers on the front unloaded 27x10.5-15 tires in March of 2015 to accommodate new chains. The tires are light and easy to handle.

I struggled with low clearance on the rear chains and got a quote for spacers in 2017. I procrastinated until this year. After stopping three times to adjust the chains on my way to clear my neighbour's driveway and two times on the way back, I finally decided to order the rear spacers. I ordered them around 21:00 New Brunswick time and Richard Breau (owner) called me back within 15 minutes. They shipped the spacers early the next morning. Service with my 2015 front spacers was just as good, and Richard phoned me one evening to check that all was OK.

The technicians who installed the rear spacers mentioned they looked like good quality spacers.

I have struggled with the rear chains for years. Also, most of my work is on hilly terrain, so I am looking forward to the improved stability. I should have installed the rear spacers years ago.

/ Wheel spacers
Got my fronts on... waiting on the rears. They are quite big and liquid filled. So yeah I expect them to be 700 pounds each. I will use my forklift to get em off and on