When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems?

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #41  
Here is a related question. Does anyone produce a basic tractor. My 2019 RK24 (TYM) is about as basic as I've seen. I can do the standard 250 hour maintenance, haven't tried repairing anything but I have added stuff with no problem. I assume it has some computer related functions but otherwise it seems work about the same as the 1982 B7300 Kubota I had.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #42  
Here is a related question. Does anyone produce a basic tractor. My 2019 RK24 (TYM) is about as basic as I've seen. I can do the standard 250 hour maintenance, haven't tried repairing anything but I have added stuff with no problem. I assume it has some computer related functions but otherwise it seems work about the same as the 1982 B7300 Kubota I had.
Rather depends what you expect it to do, there are lots of basic machines.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #44  
I tried to search for this, but apparently I can't figure out how to ask the search engine my question.

What was the last year tractor that you could buy a JD tractor and not have these right to repair / software problems? Does it affect all tractors, or just the large ones? Is it just JD, or the other makes as well?

I'm looking at tractors from the 45 to 75HP range, and don't want to be surprised by getting locked out or even remotely neutered when I try and fix something.
Look for a pre 2015 model. Tier IV started around this time. Above 26 HP the EPA emissions rules are very strict and all manufactures went to a common rail injection and DPF filter to meet particulate rules. If you recall the Volkswagen emissions issues, all manufactures are scared if they let customers into the computer that they are at a great risk for big EPA fines.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #45  
This whole issue started in 1998 with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. You can read about the Act here on Wikipedia: Digital Millennium Copyright Act - Wikipedia. After 1998 all manufacturers had the ability to legally implement systems, even in disposable filters and things like ink cartridges for printers, that made it impossible for aftermarket suppliers to circumvent the technology so their supplies could be used in their place. Anyone that circumvents the technology to do that can be charged. Blame Napster for starting this ball rolling, and the US Senate and Congress for allowing crazy additions to legislation that allows companies like John Deer to exploit DMCA to make it impossible to repair your own tractor - and gives Hewlett Packard and every other manufacturer the ability to use DMCA as legal cover to do this sort of thing for their gear. The bottom line, look at tractors made before 1998 and several years thereafter before John Deere, or the manufacturer your looking at, figured out how to scam customers using that legislation as legal cover. I believe the ECM needs to have bus technology employed that allows monitoring of all devices to implement this, so it did take a while to implement throughout the supply chain and its various components.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #46  
Mostly the large ones, any that have gps enabled instruments/attachments or autopilot/high efficiency navigation systems.

They actually started with combines and the tech has come down to tractors now since everyone apperently wants to watch tv and make coffee while operating equipment.
You forgot the built-in toilet and microwave.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #47  
Any brand of off-road machinery with a programmable computer and proprietary software. In the Tier IV world we live in that's 98% of every diesel powered machine 26 hp and up for starters.
Glad my Mahindra 5035HST has no computer.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #48  
I tried to search for this, but apparently I can't figure out how to ask the search engine my question.

What was the last year tractor that you could buy a JD tractor and not have these right to repair / software problems? Does it affect all tractors, or just the large ones? Is it just JD, or the other makes as well?

I'm looking at tractors from the 45 to 75HP range, and don't want to be surprised by getting locked out or even remotely neutered when I try and fix something.
Since diesel engines have started putting computers on engines, they say that the software is not accessible by the customers. I used to work with a company that used all types of diesel engines to put on generators. I was not allowed to access any computers on the engines except for the one we were a direct rep for, which was Detroit. We were a John Deere dealer too but they would not give us the software to access it either. That is why when I purchased a tractor I made sure that it didn't have a computer on it.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #49  
Look for a pre 2015 model. Tier IV started around this time. Above 26 HP the EPA emissions rules are very strict and all manufactures went to a common rail injection and DPF filter to meet particulate rules. If you recall the Volkswagen emissions issues, all manufactures are scared if they let customers into the computer that they are at a great risk for big EPA fines.
You have identified the real problem--manufacturers being held responsible for the actions of owners. If the lawsuits against mfgrs were dismissed or if juries would stop making awards, we might see some return to common sense. Why should JD be held responsible for my injuries because I shorted the clutch safety switch? My newest tractor is a 1986, and I cannot imagine a new one of that size being any more suitable for my needs.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #50  
You have identified the real problem--manufacturers being held responsible for the actions of owners. If the lawsuits against mfgrs were dismissed or if juries would stop making awards, we might see some return to common sense. Why should JD be held responsible for my injuries because I shorted the clutch safety switch? My newest tractor is a 1986, and I cannot imagine a new one of that size being any more suitable for my needs.
As mentioned previously, agriculture equipment has no specified standards like automobiles and construction equipment does. Until they do the information and access will remain proprietary.

It has very little to do with the actions of owners. Agriculture is extremely loosely regulated under the guise of national security. Even big agri "emissions" being adherent is just a green washing to make it look like they are doing something to the general customer.

Why is California burning? 1/2 its water goes to watering export alfalfa crops that are exempt from water restrictions under Federal guidelines.

Until the small farmers win against the lobbyists in the Right To Repair cases, nothing is going to change. The same thing happend for automobiles.