When to go gooseneck

/ When to go gooseneck #51  
Air bags, best of both worlds. Put them on my 3/4t Ram and it makes a huge difference and once aired down rides like they aren't there. Mine rode so rough I didn't want to put stiffer springs.

I pull a 16ft dump bumper pull and it makes for a much easier ride since it's easy to get a higher tongue weight then expected.

A viable alternative to air bags that have to be inflated and such is SumoSprings. The effect of air bags without the hassle, and you can drill a 1.5" hole thru them and they still work. And so easy to install. Once in, never deal with them again. I have them on my 3/4 ton and it was one of the best mods I ever made. Great ride and stability. They have varying ratings based on what one needs. And also have them for front as well as back axles, and for coil springs, torsion, or leaf.

SumoSprings(R) by SuperSprings(R) International, Inc.

/ When to go gooseneck #52  
Why do you need safety chain? I do not have safety chain on my 5th wheel... Why is the gooseneck different with safety chains?

I have considered a 10k gooseneck for my tractor. I have kind of outgrown my 16' 7k bumper tow. Part of the reason for me considering a gooseneck is because of how nice my 5th wheel tows. I was also looking at the goosneck plates that fit my bed rails for the 5th wheel hitch.

It just isn't a financial priority for me right now...

The reason for chains was covered above. Yes you can convert your 5th wheel hitch to a GN OR you can convert the GN on the trailer side to a 5th wheel type connection and not change anything on your current 5th wheel hitch or worry about safety chains. This is the route I will be going when I get a GN in the near future. Connection to a 5th wheel hitch is a little faster and easier than a GN. Gooseneck to 5th Wheel Trailer Adapter with 4 Drilled Holes Wallace Forge Gooseneck and Fifth Wheel Adapters 25-DR

/ When to go gooseneck #53  
A viable alternative to air bags that have to be inflated and such is SumoSprings. The effect of air bags without the hassle, and you can drill a 1.5" hole thru them and they still work. And so easy to install. Once in, never deal with them again. I have them on my 3/4 ton and it was one of the best mods I ever made. Great ride and stability. They have varying ratings based on what one needs. And also have them for front as well as back axles, and for coil springs, torsion, or leaf.

Another cheap and easy fix is adding Timbren rubber overload springs. I have ran them for years on my 2500HD and they are awesome with heavy loads and do not effect the ride when when empty. They are maintenance free too. The downside is the ride rough with light loads like 400 to 1000 pounds. Here is my truck with 3500# on the hitch and a 20K 5 slide toy hauler.

Attachments

• IMG_1560.JPG
    IMG_1560.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1559.JPG
    IMG_1559.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 152
   / When to go gooseneck #54  
I had 3 cord of green oak on my gooseneck. In hindsight we stacked the load too far forward, but moving it wasn't a viable option. It had a 3/4 truck ton bottomed out. We hooked it to a dually and it squatted like 2 inches. Assuming a cord weighs 5000 pounds we were within safety limits of the setup. I wouldn't have done it on a bumper hitch trailer without better weight distribution.

/ When to go gooseneck #55  
Gooseneck trailers are way more stable pulling loads than bumper pulls. All states have different laws when it comes to towing and no two law officers or dot officers in the same state will give you the same answer. Some states like Missouri anything towing with a trailer gross weight over 10000 has to scale and other states anything over 26000. Only towing considered exempt is recreational like campers. The gooseneck utility trailer I have left I bought when I had a 2010 3500 dodge. Tow capacity of that truck was some where over 14000. Truck weighed about 8600, trailer gross weight was 14000 rating. I was legal to tow it without having to stop at most state scales. Not Missouri. Sold the 2010 dodge and now own a 2002 3500 dodge, Tow capacity is a smig over 10000. So not legal to pull the goose neck according to dot laws. According to dot it doesn't matter if you have a push mower on the trailer rated at 14000 gw. Your not over weight but they go by the rated weight not actual weight. Farmers in most states are exempt when doing farm related towing as long as your not making money. Meaning someone else is paying you to move their tractor or haul their hay. At that point your commercial and then it's a hole different set of rules. Lots of laws and they get tangled and miss interpreted and do I still tow my goose neck. Yep but only for my needs. Am I breaking the law. Probably. If I bought another gooseneck to be towed behind a pickup I would get one with 7 to 8 thousand lbs axles and have it tagged at 9999 lbs gw. If you get a big deck over rated at 20000' truck is rated over that weight to tow and you plan on making money using the rig better check into licenses, dot numbers, insurance the whole ball of wax. You may get by for years towing not having proper stuff but just one little bump or cut a corner to sharp and scrape a fender any little thing and have police involved and dot shows up it turns out to be a bad day. I myself have never meet a dot official that didn't say awh just go on. They like to pick, pick, pick and write and write. The new dodges 3500's and ford f350's I think are rated over tow capacities of 26000. Now according to dot regs because it's rated at over 26000 you have to have a commercial licenses. Even though you just haul the weekly groceries home from krogers or where ever.

/ When to go gooseneck #56  
Gooseneck trailers are way more stable pulling loads than bumper pulls. All states have different laws when it comes to towing and no two law officers or dot officers in the same state will give you the same answer. Some states like Missouri anything towing with a trailer gross weight over 10000 has to scale and other states anything over 26000. Only towing considered exempt is recreational like campers. The gooseneck utility trailer I have left I bought when I had a 2010 3500 dodge. Tow capacity of that truck was some where over 14000. Truck weighed about 8600, trailer gross weight was 14000 rating. I was legal to tow it without having to stop at most state scales. Not Missouri. Sold the 2010 dodge and now own a 2002 3500 dodge, Tow capacity is a smig over 10000. So not legal to pull the goose neck according to dot laws. According to dot it doesn't matter if you have a push mower on the trailer rated at 14000 gw. Your not over weight but they go by the rated weight not actual weight. Farmers in most states are exempt when doing farm related towing as long as your not making money. Meaning someone else is paying you to move their tractor or haul their hay. At that point your commercial and then it's a hole different set of rules. Lots of laws and they get tangled and miss interpreted and do I still tow my goose neck. Yep but only for my needs. Am I breaking the law. Probably. If I bought another gooseneck to be towed behind a pickup I would get one with 7 to 8 thousand lbs axles and have it tagged at 9999 lbs gw. If you get a big deck over rated at 20000' truck is rated over that weight to tow and you plan on making money using the rig better check into licenses, dot numbers, insurance the whole ball of wax. You may get by for years towing not having proper stuff but just one little bump or cut a corner to sharp and scrape a fender any little thing and have police involved and dot shows up it turns out to be a bad day. I myself have never meet a dot official that didn't say awh just go on. They like to pick, pick, pick and write and write. The new dodges 3500's and ford f350's I think are rated over tow capacities of 26000. Now according to dot regs because it's rated at over 26000 you have to have a commercial licenses. Even though you just haul the weekly groceries home from krogers or where ever.
Not in every state, the stated towing capacity by manufacturers is a recomended guideline set by the manufacture based on vehicle weight, transmission, axle gearing etc., some states may try to use them for dot enforcement but it's not a standard.
What they can get you for is exceeding axle, tire, coupler etc. capacities.

Also not every state requires a cdl over 26k unless it's comercial use (this subject has been hashed pretty hard on a number of sites)

/ When to go gooseneck #57  

I looked at a lot of options and decided airbags were best for my use, if I had a fairly standard load like a camper or a race trailer where my tongue weight was consistent I would be more inclined to go with an fixed product like that. My loads can vary a lot and the ability to level the truck back out is what I wanted.

/ When to go gooseneck #58  
Not in every state, the stated towing capacity by manufacturers is a recomended guideline set by the manufacture based on vehicle weight, transmission, axle gearing etc., some states may try to use them for dot enforcement but it's not a standard.
What they can get you for is exceeding axle, tire, coupler etc. capacities.

Also not every state requires a cdl over 26k unless it's comercial use (this subject has been hashed pretty hard on a number of sites)

Yup like I said every state is different, every dot official will give you different answers there is no consistency in anything about the laws of towing and weight.

A couple years ago I needed some hay and found some a few miles away. My gooseneck trailer I had loaded with a hundred bales of straw so I took my little bumper pull. Light weight 6000 lbs gw and went. I got 40 bales and was headed home. Came up over a hill and there was a state cop and flagged me over behind a line of other trucks. Semi's and pickups with trailers and such. It was a dot inspection set up along side of the road. Got to the front of the line after a hour or so and two dot officials were inspecting. One was a real horses ***** and just wasn't in a good mood at all. They stuck the tank to make sure I wasn't running red fuel, checked all my lights, breaks on the truck, trailer, the hitch, safety chain, my licenses, insurance then the horses --- asked me what was the gw weight rating of the trailer. I told him its on the tag and showed him. He right away said I think your over weight for that trailer. I said come on and he hit the ceiling. I told him the trailer probably weighed 1600 and the hay at 50 lbs apiece is two thousand meaning a total of about 3600. He didn't like my attitude and I didn't like his but out came the portable scales. He had me unhook and put the scale under the jack, then weighed the axles and came up with under 4000. He tried his best and wanted to screw me but couldn't find anything. That wasn't my first go around with dot and when I pull anything I just make sure everything works and I don't get pinched by dot. Glad I wasn't pulling the gooseneck. Like I said he check the towing capacity of the truck and capicity of the trailer and me a retired person just hobby farming and needed a few bales of hay.

When I first started hauling things to make a little extra cash after hours and on the weekends I called dot, law enforcement and not one time did I get the same answer about rules and regs about towing with pickup and trailer. I came to the conclusion it really up to the dot official and the mood he is in. I don't haul anything for profit anymore because of the crap.

/ When to go gooseneck #59  
   / When to go gooseneck #60  
... but out came the portable scales. He had me unhook and put the scale under the jack, then weighed the axles and came up with under 4000...Like I said he check the towing capacity of the truck and capacity of the trailer and me a retired person just hobby farming and needed a few bales of hay. ..
It's good you point this out, I have some friends who think they will only weigh the trailer axles and so long as the axle and tire ratings ard not exceeded you are OK to go.

Like you say, DOT/police can look at the tag on the trailer for ratings but where do they look on the truck to find its trailer towing capacity? On pickups I've only seen tow ratings in the back of some owner's manuals, and it's dependent on things like axle ratios and engine options.